• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wierd HD problem

JasonG

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 9, 2003
Messages
202
Put in a new opty this past month and later noticed that I couldn't read my D drive(music, pics, etc). A short restart and it was back and I thought everything was ok. Had a few random lockups where everything would just freeze on the screen and I'd have to reboot. Finally figured out what caused it... sorta. Every time it would lock up it would have something to do with that D drive, either I was listening to music or virus checker was on that drive when it happened. I've checked all hard drive connections and power connections all are good, did the windows drive checker and it said all was good after about 4 hours lol. Idea's or opinions? Thanks as always.

JasonG
 
Anyone? Not reading it at the moment, said it was because of an I/O device error.
 
JasonG said:
Had a few random lockups where everything would just freeze on the screen and I'd have to reboot.

was it a BSOD ? in that case, do u have the error codes ?

like

STOP 0x0000000d (0x00asdfg, 0x000asdad, 0x0aaasd0a, 0x0000000) ?

assuming windows, if it directly reboots w/o showing BSOD, check options in properties (My PC), advanced, first configuration button, search for something related to "not boot inmediatly" (i'm not in windows right now, sorry)
 
Copy anything you need off it quick just in case.
Goto the manufacturers website and download the diagnostic tools for your drive.
Hopefully the test will show the problem.

If not, beg or borrow a copy of Spinrite or HDD Regenerator and see what they make of the drive.
If its only corruption or bad sectors they will likely repair it.

Hmm, just thought, new chip using more power potentially...
Clock the CPU to really slow and see if the problem goes away.
If so it might be time for a new PSU.
 
unreal4u said:
was it a BSOD ? in that case, do u have the error codes ?

like

STOP 0x0000000d (0x00asdfg, 0x000asdad, 0x0aaasd0a, 0x0000000) ?

assuming windows, if it directly reboots w/o showing BSOD, check options in properties (My PC), advanced, first configuration button, search for something related to "not boot inmediatly" (i'm not in windows right now, sorry)
right click on my computer->properties ->advanced->startup and recovery->in the "system failure" area you will see "automatically restart". Uncheck that box.

Also note that some HDDs have problems with NCQ, though all this depends on the driver you are using.
 
No BSOD just everything freezes and sits there. waited a couple minutes and nothing so I reboot. All drivers are installed as I've been running fine since January of this year when I built it. Only thing diff is I went from opty 170 to 165 stock volts just the 165 is at 2.68 where the 170 would only do 2.5. Antec Phantom for power supply should be plenty as I only run 1 vid card, the proc, and 3 HD's from it. Will try the HD man. website for some disk tools to see if they can see anything. I tried copying files off and didn't get far, saved some utilities I had on there and when I went to my pictures, which I want the most it locked up after saving 4 outta hundreds. lol If all else failed I'll do it over and over till I get all ma pics. Thanks as allways.


JasonG
 
no errors also in start - control panel - administrative tools - system event log - system ?

the only thing i could think about is some sector problems with your hdd, or some application making freeze your computer ...

Greetings !!
 
Didn't try that. Will when I get home. Used the WD tools last night and the smart showed 2 diff errors for the drive and wouldn't even run a quick check. Restarted computer and it showed as fine, ran the quick check no problems. Started moving some files off of it to another hard drive, halfway through frozen again. 2 trys and I got all my vacation pics off so I'll be working on the rest of my files slowly and surely. Thanks.


JasonG
 
JasonG said:
Didn't try that. Will when I get home. Used the WD tools last night and the smart showed 2 diff errors for the drive and wouldn't even run a quick check. Restarted computer and it showed as fine, ran the quick check no problems. Started moving some files off of it to another hard drive, halfway through frozen again. 2 trys and I got all my vacation pics off so I'll be working on the rest of my files slowly and surely. Thanks.


JasonG
Check the cabling.
 
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

That is what I find when I check there unreal4u. There are many of those dating back to 11-17-06 which is about 5 days after I plugged in the new cpu. I have checked the cables several times, I will see if I have an extra IDE and plug that one in see if there are any changes. Does the info above help narrow it down any? Again thanks.

JasonG
 
You guys are great. :) Changed cables and all is good to go so far. Much thanks again to all who replied.


JasonG
 
Back
Top