Wierd hard drive activity...

emoretared

Limp Gawd
Ok ive got these 2 hard drives in here and i recently formated when i go tthe seagate. about 3 weeks after i got it, not sure what it is really, but i hear something processing all the time ever other second. ive ran ad aware, MS Anti spyware, norton 2k5, and even ran the trendmicro house call... nothing showed in any of them. anyone got any sollutions? herer is a pic of my processes.
Also i can still hear then noise when loading other things but i hear my normal sounding load and then then wierd one also going every other second.

proc1.JPG

No heh i just clicked on that randomly. i checked it out. but im trying to find out whats running all the time, ihad the same things running on my old setup but never this wierd problem. its a really annoying sound when you just keep hearing a crunch noise every second. heh

emoretared said:
How can i turn off the file swapping?
You don't want to do that because you need a swap file, regardless of your physical memory. There is a thread on configuring swap files over at the Operating System forum, but I would also suggest checking Microsoft's article as well before you make any changes. Paging files are a subject of great controversy...mostly by idiots.

One thing you may want to do for sure, if you haven't done it in awhile, is defragment your drive. A good freeware program for that is dirms. Also, carry on with your current idea of checking all the running stuff to see what each one is by Googling them individually. Download HijackThis, and make a log with it, if you want more detail about what is running.

You may want to disable System Restore, i bet the disk trashing is caused by it backing up files constantly

Some things off the top of my head that cause the HD to become active for no apparent reason:

System Restore.
Indexing.
MSOffice (though I'm not certain if the newer ones still do that, or just mooch off indexing).
Computer Browser (and various other network housekeeping sub-apps).
AV Background scanning.

System restore and indexing are off. I dont have ms office, and im not sure about the AV scanning.

mikeblas said:
Get DiskMon and FileMon from www.sysinternals.com. They'll tell you exactly what sectors and files are being accessed.

.B ekiM

;) ^ woll get to the bottom of it

a few more clues as to what is on which drives\partitions would have been helpful
as well as diuble checking that indexing of not only the drive but all subfolders and files is also disabled, your actual paging scheme and location as well as any logs you might have enabled (MCC\compmgmt) or installed aps that could be logging

Back