• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wierd backup situation

Arcygenical

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 10, 2005
Messages
25,066
Alright, so I got my ADFD Raptor drive in this morning, and in an attempt to save all my data, I'm going to try saving my data to a different computer, then transfer it to the new disk.

I mean *all* my data. So, I'm mounting my old drive under USB into my macintosh laptop, saving the files (sucessful), then I'll be plugging my new Raptor into my laptop, to paste them back.

My question, however, is: Mac's can't write to NTFS filesystems. I'll have to mount my drive in windows first, format it to FAT32, mount it under os X, copy the files over and then convert it to NTFS in Command Prompt.

Anyone forsee any problems with this :D
 
Arcygenical said:
Alright, so I got my ADFD Raptor drive in this morning, and in an attempt to save all my data, I'm going to try saving my data to a different computer, then transfer it to the new disk.

I mean *all* my data. So, I'm mounting my old drive under USB into my macintosh laptop, saving the files (sucessful), then I'll be plugging my new Raptor into my laptop, to paste them back.

My question, however, is: Mac's can't write to NTFS filesystems. I'll have to mount my drive in windows first, format it to FAT32, mount it under os X, copy the files over and then convert it to NTFS in Command Prompt.

Anyone forsee any problems with this :D
I'm confused as to why you are even doing this. Please explain.
 
why not use NTBackup? Or the WD Diagnostic Tools' drive copy mechanism?

If you are copying files from NTFS to FAT32, the chance that all your permissions will get lost is extremely close to 1.
 
Back
Top