• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Widescreen vs Regular screen

Do you prefer widescreen or regular screen?

  • Widescreen

    Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Regular screen

    Votes: 7 17.5%

  • Total voters
    40

eroman

n00b
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Messages
7
It has been discussed already, here is a poll if you feel like voting.

Anyway, widescreen has obviuos advantages. I just wonder if it is compatible with non-widescreen applications such as old 4:3 fullscreen games. Do most widescreens support resizing to 4:3 when needed or you just have to bare with the stretched images?
 
It's like voting for 8 1/2" x 11" paper VS 8 1/2" x 14". Which would you rather use? For me, nine times out of ten, I have no use for the extra odd inches. Usually appears as black bars or wasted web site space on the sides of the widescreen display. For watching movies? :rolleyes: That's what my home theater is for. When my 19" 4:3 flat aperture grill pukes (may be soon), it will probably be a 4:3 that replaces it.
 
Widescreen gives a wider a FOV, but less vertical area. The closer the resolution ratio is to 1:1, the more area you will actually have if the monitors were to have the same diagonal. It's all really relative though and comes down to personal preference.
 
I prefer multiple 4:3 screens to a widescreen. Maybe it's just easier to segregate browser/API/IDE windows that way, but for me 4:3 is best for development work. It's also better for older games, since my computer isn't exactly up to the standards of modern games.

That being said, I'm currently running a widescreen, because my old monitor bit the dust and there happened to be a great deal on one at the same time. I want to add a pair of 20" 4:3 displays to it, though. I've always wanted a multiple-monitor setup. Maybe I've watched too many movies where someone has a sexy multi-monitor setup, like Serenity, or The Matrix, or Muzzy, or Mission Impossible, or any of a number of 007 movies, or...the list goes on.

For movies, though, absolutely widescreen is better. Which makes me wonder why I have a 4:3 TV but a widescreen computer monitor.....something's wrong with me, I think....
 
Widescreens are regular screens.
Not yet I think. Clearly, widescreen is the future, but I wonder if the present is still 4:3?
I use a widey TV for home cinema, but I like my monitor more squareish. I watch lots of 4:3 shows, not all media is 16:9. And I'm not much of a gamer to care about FPS larger viewing area.

Can anyone share his experience with wideys, especially how well can they handle a "manual" 4:3 setting when the users wants one? I wonder if I would get a wide 20' and use it as a 4:3 19' display (approx. screen size), just for the extra options of a widescreen if I ever need it, though I don't think it's recommendable with all the issues TFTs have (e.g native resolution, interpolation, etc.).
 
Can anyone share his experience with wideys, especially how well can they handle a "manual" 4:3 setting when the users wants one? I wonder if I would get a wide 20' and use it as a 4:3 19' display (approx. screen size), just for the extra options of a widescreen if I ever need it, though I don't think it's recommendable with all the issues TFTs have (e.g native resolution, interpolation, etc.).
It depends on what widescreen LCD you get. Mine, for example, stretches a smaller resolution to the full screen size (I wish I had known that before buying). Others will allow you to do something similar to letterboxing--keeping the resolution at 1:1 pixel and leaving black areas on the extra. So do your research. Mine isn't bad, but you lose the crispness that is a selling point for LCDs when you use a non-native resolution. Personally, I find that a 20" widescreen isn't wide enough to comfortably fit two windows side-by-side.
 
Back
Top