Widescreen or not?!?

Cobalt2112

[H]ard|Gawd
Gang, I have been seeing a lot of sales for WS monitors. But, isn't it true that Windows looks kinda whack at any resolution in WS? For regular Office, Web Browsing, etc... is non-WS better?

Am I wrong? :confused:

Whack? Absolutely not:p After going widescreen a regular 4:3 screen does look kinda "whack" to me though.;)

But isn't the resolution retarded so it would make my desktop look weird. Again, images that are supposed to be 800x600 or 1024x768 look "flattened", no? :(

Whack? Absolutely not:p After going widescreen a regular 4:3 screen does look kinda "whack" to me though.;)

I'm still struggling with trying to decide to go for widescreen or not. The one thing that is helping me make my decision is that I watch a lot of DVD ony my PC and I run Windows Vista but I'm a bit concerned about games - then theres HDMI, and I want that. So I guess widescreen is it.

I probably wont be watching movies on it... I'm still on XP... What does HDMI have to do with WS?

I just worry that things will look flat, just like watching 4:3 TV on WS TV and everyone looking "troll'ish" :(

I'm still struggling with trying to decide to go for widescreen or not. The one thing that is helping me make my decision is that I watch a lot of DVD ony my PC and I run Windows Vista but I'm a bit concerned about games - then theres HDMI, and I want that. So I guess widescreen is it.

But isn't the resolution retarded so it would make my desktop look weird. Again, images that are supposed to be 800x600 or 1024x768 look "flattened", no? :(

No, doesn't work that way...your windows desktop will maintain aspect for the resolution you are running. Whatever the native res of your monitor (1680x1050 etc..) is what you should have it set at. If you try a lower res then it will look a little "whack". You can go to pretty much any electronics retailer and see a widescreen demo monitor running a windows desktop...does it look funny to you?

I see... so... my XP will automatically detect the resolution and everything should appear proportional

Is this why I'm seeing less and less 4:3 monitors and more 16:9 on sale?

No, doesn't work that way...your windows desktop will maintain aspect for the resolution you are running. Whatever the native res of your monitor (1680x1050 etc..) is what you should have it set at. If you try a lower res then it will look a little "whack". You can go to pretty much any electronics retailer and see a widescreen demo monitor running a windows desktop...does it look funny to you?

I see... so... my XP will automatically detect the resolution and everything should appear proportional

Is this why I'm seeing less and less 4:3 monitors and more 16:9 on sale?

Yes, but widescreen computer monitors are actually 16:10 while tv's are 16:9. Widescreen is the future but there will always be a limited selection of 4:3 monitors for those who refuse to switch.

So, I better get on the boat or else...
cyborg.jpg

Yes, but widescreen computer monitors are actually 16:10 while tv's are 16:9. Widescreen is the future but there will always be a limited selection of 4:3 monitors for those who refuse to switch.

I have my first widescreen in the house for 3 days now, and it's a whole new experience.
Especially watching movies and series is a joy now. Also, it's handy to have two Windows side by side, like a browser right and your e-mail left, things like that. All 'n all you get more work done faster, so yeah, don't worry about going widescreen. I got used to it pretty fast, I must say.

It feels better doing everything on a widescreen, not to mention the extra space is a plus...

Dont be worried, take the plunge and see why people like it better!

Back