• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Widescreen gaming...How is it?

dR.Jester

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
2,763
Thought about picking up the new ViewSonic 20" Widescreen thats coming out soon and I was wondering what Widescreen gaming is like?

I play alot of BF2 and right now with my 19'' Samsung I have the resolution set at native 1280x1024. With a Widescreen 20 inch the native res is like 1680x (forgot). How do you set your resolution up in games? Well what Im meaning to ask is, if the max you can do in BF2 is 1280x1024. How would that look on a widescreen?

Thank you for input!

Jester
 
dR.Jester said:
Thought about picking up the new ViewSonic 20" Widescreen thats coming out soon and I was wondering what Widescreen gaming is like?

I play alot of BF2 and right now with my 19'' Samsung I have the resolution set at native 1280x1024. With a Widescreen 20 inch the native res is like 1680x (forgot). How do you set your resolution up in games? Well what Im meaning to ask is, if the max you can do in BF2 is 1280x1024. How would that look on a widescreen?

Thank you for input!

Jester

If I were you id ask the question over here http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/
It has the best solutions for widescreen gaming i've seen.
 
I'm borrowing a widescreen LCD for a few days and it's cool. At least in games that natively support it, such as HL2.

I have not tried the BF2 "fix" yet. Without it, though, it looks dreadful from the stretching. Wish they'd patch that.
 
dR.Jester said:
Thought about picking up the new ViewSonic 20" Widescreen thats coming out soon and I was wondering what Widescreen gaming is like?

I play alot of BF2 and right now with my 19'' Samsung
Just remember that a 20" widescreen is fractionally *smaller* than a 19" 4:3 monitor. If you think you're upgrading to a "bigger monitor", you're going to be disapointed.
 
contrary to what Lawdog says BF2 looks just fine on my 20" widescreen. I haven't heard complaints from the tons of other people using it for the game either.
 
CRXican said:
contrary to what Lawdog says BF2 looks just fine on my 20" widescreen. I haven't heard complaints from the tons of other people using it for the game either.

Maybe "dreadful" was too strong, I'll grant that. But to say there aren't complaints is to ignore quite a bit of community anger (and to be fair, disagreement) that exists on the issue of no widescreen support in BF2. This is a tremendous blemish on a great game, IMO.

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield/topic.asp?fid=7422&tid=1558363&p=1#17456496

For the OP, in real terms, it just means proportions will be off and things a little fuzzier than they ought to be after you drop hundreds on a new screen. For example, sniper scope is oval, not round as it should be. There is a command line or .ini fix that addresses it at widescreengamingforum--the fantastic site listed above--but it's still just a fix that itself introduces other problems. My original comment stands though: widescreen gaming is sweet when done right. You will love it. Good luck on picking a screen. :cool:
 
If I remember correctly, from the reading I've done, in BF2 it will either be stretched, or, if you use some fixes on it, it will be widescreen... but instead of expanding your view, it cuts into your vertical view and the horizantal view is the same as always. So it actually limits your field of view rather then expanding it.

Support in other games is better in some cases, but it's not by any means universal.

(And when I say "the reading I've done"... I don't actually own a widescreen monitor. However, I want one, so I'm backing the widescreen owners in the BF2 issue.)
 
Back
Top