Widescreen Display for College

Szap

Weaksauce
Well, I just got a new computer(in sig). Next year I'll be going to college. I will need to get a new display to use in my room. I would like to be able to watch TV, use my computer, and play console games on it. So basically I want one display to use for all of my functions. I want it to be widescreen and I figure I have 2 choices:

1) Widescreen HDTV and hook my PC up to it with DVI cable(?).

2) Widescreen PC LCD screen, get a TV tuner for my PC, and somehow hook my consoles up to it, but smaller screen size then option 1).

What do you think is the better route to go? I am in no rush to buy anything, I still have a few months. Any suggestions? Thank you, I appreciate any help.

The Dell 2005 FPW has a really nice selection of connectors (DVI, Analog, Composite, and S-Video - i think, not sure about the s-video though). I used to have one, but mine had issues with the backlighting so I returned it. Otherwise it is a great widescreen monitor. Wait for a good deal (400 dollars or lower) and then its a great buy!

Option one is going to kill your wallet and not out preform option two.

Save the money for beer. Dont drink yet? Welcome to college, where I used to drink beer in the shower before football games, because I didn't want my personal hygine to take away from my drinking time.

Well, I figure for the same price of a Dell 2405 LCD or even less then, I can get a 30' Widescreen HDTV....but I suppose it won't ability to output the same resolutions as the Dell. So it looks like I should probably go with a widescreen LCD. Any others I should look into beside the Dells(2005 and 2405) in the same prace range?

You won't find any comparable monitors in the price range of the Dell's (especially when combined with Dell coupons).
As for the 30' Widescreen HDTV, it's going to be a pain lugging that thing around and it's going to take up a lot of space, especially if you decide to live in the dorms.

ninethreeeleven said:

Save the money for beer. Dont drink yet? Welcome to college, where I used to drink beer in the shower before football games, because I didn't want my personal hygine to take away from my drinking time.

hahahahaa

kbong said:
You won't find any comparable monitors in the price range of the Dell's (especially when combined with Dell coupons).
As for the 30' Widescreen HDTV, it's going to be a pain lugging that thing around and it's going to take up a lot of space, especially if you decide to live in the dorms.

Well, I'll be living in a condo with 2 of my friends, so space won't really be an issue and I figure once it's in there I won't really have to bring it anywhere until we get rid of the condo. But right now I am still leaning toward a Dell LCD. The lack of HDTV resolutions on the 2005FPW is the only thing that makes me want the 2405FP. Other than that, the price on the 2005FPW is great(with coupons which I'll be waiting for).

ninethreeeleven said:

QFT.

I am still in college, and have done this on more than one occasion. :D

But getting back on topic, I'm considering the same thing for my dorm room. I will almost definitely get a large widescreen LCD, but I'm kind of waiting to make sure the new consoles will be able to output onto the 2405. I know the 2405 can do HD, which is nice, but I want it to be able to do everything before I drop a grand on it.

Back