Wicked Lasers Spyder III Arctic 1W Blue Laser *screaming*

Status
Not open for further replies.
lazerz.jpg

To everyone whining that the Govt. should control these lasers...

It's voters like you that have given politicians far too much control over our lives already.
It's voters like you that have given politicians the power to strip us every day of one more freedom, and the power to deny us our right to make our own choices in life... be they stupid choices or not.

yay for legalizing pot and prostitution!

i want one, but im still looking for video of how bright itll be first.

"Bright enough to cause blindness after reflection from matte surfaces" doesn't give you any kind of clue?

Has anyone actually gotten one yet ?

I would order one but I'm afraid it would be a major disappointment.

[RCKY] Thor;1035847221 said:
"Bright enough to cause blindness after reflection from matte surfaces" doesn't give you any kind of clue?

matte surfaces... being monitor screens? Wow... too bad I have no need for something like this but damn that's just sounds powerful...

how could you be disappointed in this? its powerful enoung to burn skin and cause blindness off a matte refelection, what more were you looking for?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
how could you be disappointed in this? its powerful enoung to burn skin and cause blindness of a matte refelection, what more were you looking for?

It would be nice if it would slick a man in half at 200 yards.

So now I will have to worry about being burnt or blinded by morons with lasers at clubs and theaters? I cant wait to feed some idiot this laser. :mad:

yay for legalizing pot and prostitution!

Amen, give these women protection under the law and either ban cigarettes or legalize pot, corrupt politician bastards. (And give me back my clove cigarettes! RAAAAAAAAAAGE)

Two weeks until they are manufactured and shipped. They're likely trying to avoid having them arrive for the fourth and making headlines across the country.

It would be nice if it would slick a man in half at 200 yards.

Anyone who DOESN'T want a laser than can cut a man in half at 200 yards is lying to themselves.

I cant wait to feed some idiot this laser. :mad:

Nom, nom, nom. It's pretty big though, so you're probably going to have to go for the... other end. G/L with that. If someone shined this into the crowd, the crowd would have the right to send this laser packin'. :eek:

You know - my deal is this. You get one set of eyes. One. Fuck them up, and that's that. There is no second chance.

I normally am against regulation, but this thing should be illegal - I assure you, it will be soon. Some kid is going to get one, and is going to shine it at peoples faces during a football game at a stadium or something similar - and when that happens, and you hear the headline on the news "14 year old kid blinds 118 people, permanently" this shit will be all over CNN and it will get banned. I just hope it happens soon before they sell a lot of them.

To all the people advocating regulation or banning, I've got one simple phrase for you.

Other people are not your property!

You know - my deal is this. You get one set of eyes. One. Fuck them up, and that's that. There is no second chance.

I normally am against regulation, but this thing should be illegal - I assure you, it will be soon. Some kid is going to get one, and is going to shine it at peoples faces during a football game at a stadium or something similar - and when that happens, and you hear the headline on the news "14 year old kid blinds 118 people, permanently" this shit will be all over CNN and it will get banned. I just hope it happens soon before they sell a lot of them.

Really? 2 kids shot up 12 students and a teacher, injured 21 others with something called a gun. It was all over CNN, and yet for the most part we haven't banned them yet. :confused:

Cannons are more dangerous? Really? Given you are making such an irrelevant and pointless comment, it's clear you have absolutely no understanding, and NO intention to attempt to understand any of the arguments or the real dangers involved here. You truly have gone above and beyond to prove you are not able to grasp the important points folks are trying to make.
No, you are trying to exchange your freedoms for security. It doesn't work. Ask how well banning all guns has solved gun crimes in England. I'll give you a little help, it hasn't done anything to help their gun crimes.

And... a watergun with HCL? Please, tell us more. By the way, I predict there will be at least 1,000 of these 1W lasers in the pocket of a bar/club patron at some point, who also is likely to have 6+ drinks in his system.
1,000 in one guys pocket? That's impressive.
How many people bring waterguns with HCL in them to bars/clubs to impress people/showoff? Heck... how many people will bring waterguns with HCL in them to a bar/club in the next month?
Well truth be told, they carry guns, not water pistols. Please keep thinking that lasers are what you need to be worried about.

Also, good job trying to turn this into another intarweb rage fest. It's OK, we get it. It's OK that you don't understand the point of why people are concerned. Great. Now, what exactly do you want?
Right, you're concerned. Over the dumbest thing ever. You've got better odds of being struck by lightening than getting blinded by one of these things. You've got better odds of being struck by a bus than getting blinded by one of these. You are trying to remove people's rights because you are a scared of the boogie man.

By the way, if you answer the last question, also answer: where do you live (as specific as possible) and your work and pleasure habits, so I can ensure that myself, as well as anyone I might care about, can protect ourselves via avoidance where reasonable? Since you are against the only other kind of reasonable/possible mechanism for prevention (of (see next paragraph) accidents), surely you will provide this information without hesitation? As a matter of fact, it should even be completely public.
Right, because I don't think my freedom's should be infringed, that means I shouldn't have a right to privacy... Do you even read what you write?

Or will your answer be that I (everyone) should buy a gun and shoot at you after lasering me (or any other dipship with this laser in public in a bar after about 7.5 beers)?
Based on your posts here, I think the odds are better you'd shoot your self before you ever got to the bar.
Hopefully I can remember where he was, in case I was "accidentally blinded," by said random douchebag looking to impress his friends, bartender, passed out chick, whatever with his $200 blind anyone in the room in 0.21 seconds from 50 feet device. Oh wait, if I'm already blinded, then we're already past the point of which those arguing against this are trying to avoid. And I'll add my own personal "IMO," here, if I am already blinded, I will no longer give a fuck, and will not hesitate to expend the entire clip of whatever I happen to be carrying at the time in attempt to get revenge. I will aim at eye level, by the way. It is revenge, after all.
Red Herring much? A little less internet road rage or perhaps crack before posting next time?

Can anyone recommend a laser that I could play with where I wouldn't have to worry about blinding myself or someone else when used responsibly? I don't want to worry about pointing this at my wall and blinding myself.

To the guys comparing this to a gun keep in mind that guns and gun safety or at least how to use them is just engrained in our society. I see that as the big difference.

Really? 2 kids shot up 12 students and a teacher, injured 21 others with something called a gun. It was all over CNN, and yet for the most part we haven't banned them yet. :confused:

The right to bear arms is a constitutional right, the right to have a high powered light focusing apparatus is not. Yes, there are a variety of tools to hurt people. I am not arguing that.

I own many firearms, including two AR15 assault rifles and three AK47 rifles. I am extremely pro gun.

I assure you, the difference between a gun and a laser is tremendous. The American culture is familiar with firearms - the social response to someone pulling a gun out is well understood, the capabilities of that weapon are also well understood. It is treated serious, because everyone knows what they can do.

This laser will be looked at as a toy, not a weapon. Due to this, it will be treated like a toy. If a 11 year old child walks into a walmart and shines it on people, it will only be recognized as a silly kid playing with a laser - no action will be taken. If that same child walks into a walmart with a 9MM pistol and starts shooting, someone will take action immediately. That's my issue.

lol at all the children having a shit fit over a 1w laser.

haha

Its not just a 1w laser, its a 1w blue laser. Shine this at a wall, not even directly at your eye, without eye protection. The beam scatter from that light will do permanent eye damage within 3 seconds.

Shine this directly in your eye for less than 1 second and you will have permanent irreversible damage done - a few seconds and permanent blindness.

It's foolish to act like this isn't a big deal...

Its not just a 1w laser, its a 1w blue laser. Shine this at a wall, not even directly at your eye, without eye protection. The beam scatter from that light will do permanent eye damage within 3 seconds.

Shine this directly in your eye for less than 1 second and you will have permanent irreversible damage done - a few seconds and permanent blindness.

It's foolish to act like this isn't a big deal...

the issue would then be how an 11 year old got the laser or gun in the first place. kids could have access to all sorts of shit like matches, poison, and knives that could cause harm. does not mean those all need to be regulated.

I would argue they clearly do because no one has listed a single commercial application for this technology that could not already be accomplished with existing technology. And without practical purpose, this should be considered a weapon.

You can already easily buy more than 1w lasers on ebay and other places, and have been able to for years.

Also, I have already mentioned practical applications for this laser, so you are wrong on that account.

Technically anything over 5mW isn't supposed to be used or sold as a laser pointer. They wouldn't have to make any new laws to keep Wicked Lasers from selling just about all of its product line.

My question is..if someone points this thing at you more then once is it ok to return fire with a real firearm?

My question is..if someone points this thing at you more then once is it ok to return fire with a real firearm?

That is a very interesting and intriguing question. My guess is it would have to depend on individual state laws.

I did lol when you said "real firearm." I was thinking....as opposed to a fake firearm? Everyone knows you do not bring a toy gun to laser fight...lol

I think most of us agree we do not this thing in the hands of those under 18. I am very pro 2nd Amendment, but I think there there is a reasonable concern about these lasers falling into the hands of a youngster without a proper grasp of his actions. A law-abiding adult should be able to own one of these, period, no reason is necessary. But the minute it gets abused, there should be strict penalties. It can be a felony to shoot a pellet gun at someone's eyes, and so too should it be the case with this laser.

Hmm.. I don't believe so. In most states it is only OK to return what you believe to be equivalent amount of force in self-defense. Guns are generally considered deadly force, so I think you would have to establish that you thought your life was in danger, which might be a stretch. I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Hmm.. I don't believe so. In most states it is only OK to return what you believe to be equivalent amount of force in self-defense. Guns are generally considered deadly force, so I think you would have to establish that you thought your life was in danger, which might be a stretch. I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Anything below the waist isn't attempted murder. Both will cause permanent harm so it sounds fair to me.

This can blind. I would say that it would be sufficient provocation in most states.

I'm just waiting for some fan sitting in the stands of the World Cup or Superbowl to get pissed off at a play and shine it down on one of the players in spite.

"Wicked Lasers Supplementary Class 4 Buyer Requirements

* Customers of Class 4 lasers are required to digitally sign a Laser Hazard Acknowledgment form stating they understand the proper handling, use and risks associated with such products
* Customers of Class 4 lasers are required to provide government-issued photo ID for age verification purposes
* Customers of Class 4 lasers are required to completely read and electronically acknowledge nine disclaimer passages
* Customers of Class 4 lasers are required to be shipped at least one pair of certified laser safety goggles that meets minimum O.D. required for safe operation
"

What if there is a defect in the safety glasses? I've heard stories about people welding with a hairline crack that they didn't notice in the welding mask causing flashburn.

Well, then you can sue. They certified it afterall. If it's a defect, sue them for all they got.

You can already easily buy more than 1w lasers on ebay and other places, and have been able to for years.

Also, I have already mentioned practical applications for this laser, so you are wrong on that account.

The fact that these are readily available whether by eBay or other sources is an argument in favor of proper controls being put in place for sale of these items. It is really not so far-fetched to need a registration/license to use something that, at best, has exceptionally niche application and is extremely dangerous in the wrong hands. Registration/Licensing at least allows proper prosecution of people who have obtained the lasers through improper channels.

Where in this thread did you mention practical applications for the laser? All I could find was your directing to another thread. It's kind of an unrealistic expectation to ask other people to read a 9 page thread for your comments when you won't even take the time to paste your own ideas in this thread. I did a quick search and all I turned up (not saying there isn't more elsewhere) was you saying it could be used for homemade fusion reactors. If you are conducting serious scientific experimentation with a dangerous tool, you shouldn't have any aversion to having to become licensed/registered. Especially considering you should understand how dangerous such an item is if mishandled by unqualified individuals.

The fact that these are readily available whether by eBay or other sources is an argument in favor of proper controls being put in place for sale of these items. It is really not so far-fetched to need a registration/license to use something that, at best, has exceptionally niche application and is extremely dangerous in the wrong hands. Registration/Licensing at least allows proper prosecution of people who have obtained the lasers through improper channels.

Where in this thread did you mention practical applications for the laser? All I could find was your directing to another thread. It's kind of an unrealistic expectation to ask other people to read a 9 page thread for your comments when you won't even take the time to paste your own ideas in this thread. I did a quick search and all I turned up (not saying there isn't more elsewhere) was you saying it could be used for homemade fusion reactors. If you are conducting serious scientific experimentation with a dangerous tool, you shouldn't have any aversion to having to become licensed/registered. Especially considering you should understand how dangerous such an item is if mishandled by unqualified individuals.

This is the same argument uberliberals use against guns, and it is very weak. Kids and felons should not be allowed to purchase or own a laser like this, but law-abiding adults should be able to buy something like this if they so choose without the government intruding into their life. They don't need a reason to own it, even if it is a very dangerous and quite frankly scary item. Period. How about we institute strict laws about the abuse of a laser like this instead? If you ever shine it at a person it should be a serious crime (if it's not already).

This is the same argument uberliberals use against guns, and it is very weak. Kids and felons should not be allowed to purchase or own a laser like this, but law-abiding adults should be able to buy something like this if they so choose without the government intruding into their life. They don't need a reason to own it, even if it is a very dangerous and quite frankly scary item. Period. How about we institute strict laws about the abuse of a laser like this instead? If you ever shine it at a person it should be a serious crime (if it's not already).

And where exactly does that stop. Should someone be allowed to purchase weapons-grade plutonium? Should I be allowed to develop and sell biological weapons? After all, you seem to think the the government has no right to tell me I can't own a nuclear warhead or anthrax.

And where exactly does that stop. Should someone be allowed to purchase weapons-grade plutonium? Should I be allowed to develop and sell biological weapons? After all, you seem to think the the government has no right to tell me I can't own a nuclear warhead or anthrax.

There are shades of gray in the world. Everything is not just black and white, deny all or allow all.

There are shades of gray in the world. Everything is not just black and white, deny all or allow all.

My whole argument is that there are shades of gray. Ordovician suggested I couldn't argue for licensing/registration of lasers because that logic taken too far would result in the banning of guns. That argument is only logically consistent if you agree with taking the idea too far in the other direction (i.e. anthrax and warheads should be legal).

For his part, ordovician seems to truly believe that the government should not be able to ban/restrict/conditionalize the sale of any dangerous good to a non-child/non-felon. So kudos on having firm beliefs. But, in the end I don't think most can agree with his take. There is no way to adequately punish an individual who triggers a nuclear device or unleashes a biological weapon.

I'm kind of playing the Devil's advocate here. Of course there's such a thing as rational policy making. I didn't mean to imply that forcing licensing of this laser would translate to increased gun control, I meant the logic you were using is the same logic others apply to gun control.

And I mean seriously... if you know your chemistry, it would be pretty easy to manufacture mustard gas with household chemicals. But none of us really worry about someone actually stockpiling the stuff. I think your worries about "where you draw the line" as far as what kinds of dangerous items citizens can own are a bit unfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back