Wich processor for a Fileserver?

Henrytxin

n00b
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
22
Hi all,

I am just about to build a media/file server, with a trusty RAID 5 for the rest of the comps around, and let them run with a single drive.

I need a proccesor that will stay cool, also I,d like to go double core, but i dont i really need it,
It wont be OCed at all,
Should I buy the cheapest 64?
 
if you mean you are buying one for YOUR personal file server that you and maybe a handful of other people will be accessing - yes by all means buy the cheapest cpu you can. Also raid5 is a BIT overkill. how about a simple two disk mirror set?
 
Thaks for answering,
Forgot to say that it will have to handle some kinda torrent app , a not very solicited webserver and a mail server.

We will need not less than 1 Tb, so I thought mirroring that was going to be expensive also, but lacking the RAID 5 sexyness

So Sempron is the coolest cpu i can get? Im planing to let it work @ the minimun noise/fan/fanspeed posible,

And, btw any recomendations on the MB to go for?
 
I setup a RAID-5 fileserver a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it. Of course, I'm running dual AthlonMP 2200+'s in a Tyan s2460 with a 3Ware 7506 PCI-X controller, and 4x 200GB PATA UltraATA133 drives...all in all, the whole setup was really pretty cheap. The harddrives only cost me $40 a pop from a sale at Staples. :) Dual processors are nice, but I think most of the work is done on the RAID card itself. The 2800+ Sempron would do you nicely. ;) Just be sure to fold on it!
 
The simple fact that its a sempron is great. you can underclock it with lowered multipliers and feed it less voltage. Heck, if you underclock it enough, you could probably go passive cpu heatsink.
 
Back
Top