Wi-Fi detector

tikiman2012

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anybody make a wi-fi detector that also shows mac addresses? I have a neighbor trying to get on my new network and I would like to find out who it is.

Did he get on? If so, you can just look at the internal tables in the router to find out his MAC. Even if he didnt get on, the logs should show unsuccessful connections from him and have his MAC address.

What's the point? Just use a really good WPA2 passkey and watch him spend the rest of the time left in the universe trying to brute force it.

Due to the coverage and number of APs around my house, I know there are multiple people attempting to get onto my SSID. They'll never pull it off, I'd bet.

I do have it set as wpa2. It's a Sony mac address, so I'm betting that it's some asshole with his ps3.

MAC addresses are part of the spec. It doesn't matter what device is trying to connect, if it's reachable on the network, it has a MAC address.

Netstumbler will only show active access points, and not clients trying to connect to an access point. Honestly it's pretty difficult to figure out where a wifi signal is coming from without a spectrum analyzer of some type (el cheapo USB models or the extremely expensive commercial grade standalone units) and a directional antenna. You'd then be able to "see" in which direction a wifi signal is coming from, but no guarantees it is the person trying to connect.

I'm not sure about PS3s, but some devices will just try to autoconnect to any SSID nearby, which is the strongest, even if the network has a password. i.e. It could be a poorly informed user and not a "hacker".

make a sand box take your computers off the network, put a computer on that is so infected with viruses and spyware share the C: make the computer name something like free software or something, let him connect then get infected LOL!!

I thought about getting out Backtrack and installing it on my laptop again and going that route. But it's been so long since I messed with it, (and there are newer versions now anyway), that I don't remember much from it anymore.

Back