Whyyy...!

shurcooL

[H]ard|Gawd
This is sooo frustrating. A rant ahead.

Why couldn't they put a decent multitouch-capable touchpad on the new 2010 Sony Vaio Z series. >.<

It is such a perfect laptop. An unbelievable package: 3.0 pounds light, while packing an optical drive, Core i5 dual core, yet still gets 4-6 hours of battery life, doesn't run too hot at the same time, comes with a super powerful GeForce 330GT 1GB, rocking 6k+ in 3DMark06 and 27k in 01, and a switchable Intel IGP for when you don't need the geforce. It has a matte 1600x900 13.1" LCD, with great viewing angles, and unbelievably vibrant colors. Seriously, seeing that screen in person makes you shocked how dull all the other screens look like in comparison. It doesn't even stop there, you get a really fast 192 GB SSD, backlit keyboard, bluetooth, gigabit lan, 802.11n, express card... For only around 2 grand. Stuff like this would've cost like 3-5 grand easily a few years ago.

I mean, all those awesome specs, but it doesn't have a multitouch touchpad!!! >_<

I'd really like to get one, but after using a multitouch Synaptics pad on my two netbooks for the last year along with two-finger-scroll, I absolutely cannot live without it.

How can you scroll webpages without two-finger-scroll? It's impossible... :'(

Is there any hope? Any chance the touchpad on 2010 Z _is_ multitouch, but they don't advertise it? Any tool similar to two-finger-scroll for its touchpad? x.x

P.S. For anyone who doesn't know, two-finger-scroll enables MacBook-like smooth two-finger scrolling jestures for mt Synaptics pads. But be careful, after you try it, you can't ever go back!

Edit: Against all odds, it turns out it actually does have a multitouch-capable Synaptics touchpad!

Last edited:
The lack of multitouch is definitely a drawback, but that's still a killer notebook. If you told me that I could no longer use my MacBook, I'd grab the VAIO Z. Just needs a 256GB SSD to really become a main computer instead of a companion.

Do you use two-finger scrolling on your MacBook? If so, how can you ever go to a laptop without it?

I don't think I can... At least not willingly.

OMFG, HALLELUJAH!

I went to a local Future Shop, looked at a Z, went to Control Panel, Mouse and I was shocked to see it's actually a Synaptics pad. After further digging around, it seemed to support multitouch gestures. Phew.

Now it's really one hell of a package. :D

Do you use two-finger scrolling on your MacBook? If so, how can you ever go to a laptop without it?

I don't think I can... At least not willingly.

I couldn't either. Although I've gotten used to three finger swipes for spaces and four finger for expose with better touch tool, so I'm a little farther down the multi-touch rabbit hole.

Wow.... that laptop looks amazing. 3.0 lbs, 1600x900, some kind of VA or IPS screen, GT330M, i5...!

I don't give a hoot about a multitouch trackpad myself. Give me a trackpoint or mouse. Actually, if this thing had a trackpoint, I might consider cancelling my $900 Envy 15 order and grabbing this. Impressive.

To be honest, I absolutely hate using my laptop's pad. It sucks. Even with multitouch support, I would still much rather use a mouse. Smoother, more control, more comfortable, more everything. You're right, multitouch is a useful feature if you don't have a mouse with you, but you still got an awesome notebook, and I would just buy an extra USB mouse and take that with the notebook.

Agreed. I can't stand trackpads. I don't care if they are 3ft x 3ft size and mega quad-touch. They still suck to use. Give me a mouse (or Lenovo Trackstick.)

Yeah, but there are [many] times you can't use a mouse...

I prefer to use my netbooks/laptops without a mouse, unless I'm doing something fairly productive. But in that case, I might as well use my desktop instead.

Yeah, but there are [many] times you can't use a mouse...

I prefer to use my netbooks/laptops without a mouse, unless I'm doing something fairly productive. But in that case, I might as well use my desktop instead.

Yup. I bought a wireless mouse for my laptop, I end up using the track pad for multitouch scrolling more than the mouse. Wish it were a LITTLE bit more sensitive to 3 finger gestures like the macbook though.

Back