Why you backup and check your backups

Joined
Oct 7, 2009
Messages
821
So this weekend I was planning on doing a complete server overhaul (Ubuntu to Gea's All In One Solution). Needless to say earlier in the week on Tuesday I was making sure all my backup drives had the latest information from my server and everything went smoothly.

So tonight I decided to do one final check to make sure my backup drives would have no problem restoring data as this would be my only copy (for the most part) until the data got copied over back to the server.

Needless to say when I checked one of the drives it did the old fashion WD Beep Beep Beep of Death. I can't believe it failed in the last three days but I am very very happy that I double checked to make sure the drives still were working before I deleted any data. (Otherwise 2TB would have been gone)

I am just reminding everyone to backup your information and check your backups, especially if you need to rely solely on them even briefly.
 
You can never be too safe with important data.

Well, you COULD, but not many people are.

There was that one guy who built a concrete bunker 1 mile underground, complete with its own nuclear power source capable of supplying power to his 100 redundant backup units for more than 1000 years. But let's not count him. Now, about the guy who launched 3 spaceships with his backups, bound for distant star-systems, because he didn't want to have a singe point of failure (Earth), well, he is probably being too safe.
 
Well, you COULD, but not many people are.

There was that one guy who built a concrete bunker 1 mile underground, complete with its own nuclear power source capable of supplying power to his 100 redundant backup units for more than 1000 years. But let's not count him. Now, about the guy who launched 3 spaceships with his backups, bound for distant star-systems, because he didn't want to have a singe point of failure (Earth), well, he is probably being too safe.

I hope you are and aren't serious about both of those; I can't decide which I want more.
 
2nd one isnt safe, how does he plan to get his ships back? and what if they hit a meteor or a planet or something...
 
2nd one isnt safe, how does he plan to get his ships back? and what if they hit a meteor or a planet or something...

Get them back? Why, launch more spaceships. But you do have a point about damage in space. So, I guess he'd have to launch 100 spaceships to be too safe, huh?
 
One should not spend much more for a backup than the value of the data.

I am retired. My wife will retire from her business in a couple years. 3 years after she retires all of our business data becomes worthless. So I only need backups for 3 years at most. Of course, We could just close up the business if our data is lost.

For $300/year I will pretend the data is worth something until my wife retires.
 
Back
Top