Why won't my Opty 165 go past 2.0Ghz?

maw

Supreme [H]ardness
this just can't be right.

I just got an Opty 165 and Asus A8N-E mobo and not matter what I try I can't get it to post past 2.0Ghz. I'm using GeiL PC3500 which ran great on my old Abit IS7. I'm trying to get this opty to 2.2Ghz (250x9) and i've done everything i can think of. The absolute highest it will run is 220x9 (just under 2.0Ghz)

I set the ram to run at 266, i upped the RAM voltage to 2.8, i upped the CPU voltage to 1.4v (not sure how much higher i can take it on air). i'm using the stock heatsink, but surely from what i've read everywhere i should be able to at least get it to 2.2Ghz.

heck i even just tried running the RAM at 200 just to make sure i can absolutley rule that out, still no go.

Any ideas what i could be doing wrong? this really sucks. The MSI 7800GT video card that i also ordered is also crap, it shows only corrupted images, so i'm going to have to RMA it. Not a great day for upgrades. :mad:

have you lowered the ht link multipler from 5x to 4x or 3x? pushing that beyond 1000mhz usually holds back an oc.

arnemetis said:
have you lowered the ht link multipler from 5x to 4x or 3x? pushing that beyond 1000mhz usually holds back an oc.

i set the HT link to 2x and cranked the volatage to 1.45, and that helped a little bit. it now boots at 230x9. still pretty sucky.

maw said:
i set the HT link to 2x and cranked the volatage to 1.45, and that helped a little bit. it now boots at 230x9. still pretty sucky.
It's beyond Sucky. IT's horrible for an Opteron :p

...and to believe i was upset when I found out my Opteron had trouble going past 2.6Ghz on air

..but maybe it's the mobo. I am having a hard time believing an opteron can only do a measly 200Mhz oc..

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
It's beyond Sucky. IT's horrible for an Opteron :p

...and to believe i was upset when I found out my Opteron had trouble going past 2.6Ghz on air

..but maybe it's the mobo. I am having a hard time believing an opteron can only do a measly 200Mhz oc..

hmmm.. now it's doing 230x9 at the default 1.35v. it still won't go higher even with more voltage, but at least that's an improvement seeing it needed 1.4v to get to 230 earlier. Maybe the arctic silver 5 needs more time to set?

yeah, something is definately improving. now i can boot at 240x9 at 1.4v if i set HT link to 1x. i'm going to leave it running overnight to see if it continues to improve. i can't use this system anyway until i RMA the vid card

do you have SATA drives? if so then put them on SATA ports 3 and 4. i know it sounds dumb but it works. and you shoudnt have to run the HTT at 240Mhz, as it was originally meant to run at 1000Mhz(this is the HTT link betweent the cpu and chipset)

i would even up the vcore to 1.5v or maybe even 1.55v... I believe the stock heatsink is good enough to handle that... give it a try.

It's not worth it to up the voltage to 1.5 or even 1.55 if he is only going to get an extra 100Mhz out of it...like 2.3Ghz..
What stepping do you have?

will an HT Link of 1x affect my performance? that seems to be the setting tha makes 240x9 stable. weird..

as for previous questions. No i do not have SATA drives, i have a Maxtor 250G IDE. And sorry, i didn't check the stepping before i installed everything

well..
A HT Link of 1x is REALLY LOW. that like 240Mhz, when it should run closer to 1Ghz..
maybe it's your mobo? What is the highest FSB can do?
In case you don't know,
Drop the CPU multi to 3x or 4x, drop HT link down to 3,4 or w/e, put Memory Divider @ 1:2
and use Clockgen to see what it's max is before Windows reboots...

could it be my powersupply? here's what i noticed, during my tinkering with the video card, i forgot to plug the power connector into it. suddenly it wouldn't boot if the HT link was higher than 1x. I plugged it in and now i can boot with the HT link at 2x and as high as 240x9. so i'm wondering if that's some kind of sign. unfortunately, i don't have another 24-pin powersupply to test with.

BTW, it's an Antec TruePower 480.

just a follow-up. i got her to run at 250x9, solidly in the 2.2Ghz range. i still have to set the HT link at 1x, but i really don't notice a performance difference. what's weird is how i got it to work. one time i inadvertently powered off the system after it froze up instead of resetting it like i normally did, for some reason powering down made it happy with the new settings and it hasn't frozen up since.

Back