Why will you jailbreak after iPhone OS 4?

Personally I won't need to.

The only thing I can't do is change the look and SMS sound. And both I can live without.

No, there's a few necessities that still won't be available without jailbreak. Apps like lock info, 24 hour weather, 24 hour wallpaper, bitesms, mywi, sbsettings, pogoplank(widgets soon!) and some others I'm forgetting.

I haven't jailbroken since 3.0, there just isn't a need for me anymore, it's buggy, slow, messy, inconvenient in the case of bug-fix updates, unstable.. just not something I want to mess with on my phone..

Lol sorry you children feel the need to constantly pirate software. But for the rest of us, with jobs, there is legiimate functionalty that we enjoy that we can't get without jailbreak and cydia

I don't pirate any apps, because my iPhone isn't jailbroken. I'm just stating the obvious and biggest reason that most people jailbreak. You think they do it just so they can change their text chime? Riiiiiiiight...

I haven't actually been compelled to at this point, why would I then?

After losing my jailbreak by accidentally upgrading to the latest firmware I mostly have missed the ability to lock the screen orientation through SB Settings and of course tethering ability. I also used to love jailbreak for being able to enable Skype calls over 3G. It seems that no longer is needed though.

Yes.

os4's multitasking looks better than backgrounder though, but i like the pre-style app switcher over the bottom dock idea.

Lack of ipod double tap controls? o_O

I'll still want my themes, functionality (pop up sms/email reply) sb settings, lock screen info, etc etc

on a somewhat related note, after reading anandtech's nexus one review yesterday, im seriously considering that phone come sept. android sounds really cool.

on a somewhat related note, after reading anandtech's nexus one review yesterday, im seriously considering that phone come sept. android sounds really cool.

Honestly, I'd wait for the next version of the Nexus (Nexus Two?) or someone else's device if you're interested in Android.

The Nexus touchscreen hardware has some known hardware glitches that according to Google themselves can't be easily addressed (if at all) through software. When I had one for about a week and a half I was frequently the victim of multi-touch axis switching, things getting touched that were on the opposite side of the screen, etc. Most of this stemmed from where they have their touch points on the device and my hand when using it one-handed. They actually had some of the touch points extending into portions of the black borders of the screen. The software was fine and was what I was expecting, but those touch issues killed it for me as I frequently surf the web with one hand while doing other tasks. This hasn't been an issue with any iPhone I've had and from my research it doesn't appear that I would experience it on a Droid because it doesn't use the same touch hardware as the Nexus.

September is a heck of a long time from now in cell phone time. The N1 will be old news long before then.

SBSETTINGS

-flashlight app (app store app doesnt allow your phone to auto increase brightness to max! LOL)

there's tons of shit i love via cydia for customizing my phone to be THE WAY I WANT IT...how it is most EFFICIENT TO ME.

ill stay 3.0 jailbroken if they cant jailbreak 4.0

I don't pirate any apps, because my iPhone isn't jailbroken. I'm just stating the obvious and biggest reason that most people jailbreak. You think they do it just so they can change their text chime? Riiiiiiiight...

actually yea, the stuff available on cydia allows such deep customization of the iphone OS interface, and allows for tons of additional functionality...

how do you know what most people's motives for jailbreaking are? i'd love to see your survey data....

If it's possible to JB after 4.0, I'll do it. I'm still waiting/hoping for a 3.1.3 JB for my 3GS.

Regardless, I'll be moving to an Evo by late summer.

FWIW, I have been jailbroken on T-Mobile since the 3G came out. I have a ton of apps from Cydia / Ice, and not one is pirated.

Apps are dirt cheap, and if you want them - buy them.
Support developers!

To unlock. And enable tethering.

But that's it. FWIW, using JB for only those two things even today, via custom PwnageTool bundle (otherwise a vanilla system.. no Cydia/etc)

Didn't even know you could pirate iPhone apps... lol

For me, I gotta stay jail broken for lock screen info and mIwi. Might even continue to use backgrounder and pro switcher for "true" multitasking

Didn't even know you could pirate iPhone apps... lol

For me, I gotta stay jail broken for lock screen info and mIwi. Might even continue to use backgrounder and pro switcher for "true" multitasking

well dont tell that to inorganic matter, according to him if you jailbreak you are a filthy pirate :rolleyes:

I'll still jb so that I can use MyWi to tether my ipad since AT&T can't get their asses in gear.

MxTube, Cycorder, SBS, 6x6 SB & Dock, Backgrounder.... to name a few

I will keep my iphone jailbroken for tethering and customizing it the way I want with different themes. Tethering is a must now for me since I got my iPad.

Never jbed my 3GS, and I'm obviously not planning to after 4.0. I enjoy the smooth experience and no hassles I get by staying official. I may end up trying it someday if I'm feeling very bored and geeky, but so far I haven't felt the urge to.

sbsettings, lockinfo, winterboard, etc...

There are a lot of tools that will not be in 4 that I know I will miss. I am running beta 4 right now, and while it seems faster among other things I will be jb mine just for a few tools/programs.

Long story short, had a 3gs, jb it and loved it. It broke, got a new 3GS that is not jbable(due to new bootrom), running stock and feel that it is just the same as any other phone. It's actually kind of boring. I miss everything from my lockinfo screen telling me all my calendaring stuff, to being able to turn wifi and other processes off with a flick of my thumb....

Also multitasking sucks in 4beta, proswitcher/multiflow is a lot better in terms of multitasking... In 4 I cannot even run my pandora while typing a email/sms....

I'd miss SBSettings & some of the Winterboard functionality like WeatherIcon & changing icons/docks/wallpapers.

I'll be doing it for SMS Quickreply and tethering. I used to pirate apps, but I'm not really into that anymore; devs deserve their money.

Back