why will FIOS put cable to the curb?

mnewxcv

[H]F Junkie
I'm having a conversation with a friend, and we're talking about cable becoming obsolete due to fiber optics. Is this accurate? And why is it true? I forget what it is, but what is the limitation of coax cable that's being approached?

What's funny about that is FIOS puts fiber optic cable to your house, and then inside your house it uses the existing coax wiring.

What's funny about that is FIOS puts fiber optic cable to your house, and then inside your house it uses the existing coax wiring.

well depending on your plan, you dont need fiber optics in the house to provide with a service that surpasses cable companies. I think the fiber optics on the street is future proof for when plans exceed the coax limit.

This is only if you're getting the TV service. If you're not, RJ45 all the way baby. :)

This is only if you're getting the TV service. If you're not, RJ45 all the way baby. :)

This is true. Unless you are subscribing to FiOS TV, you can run CAT5 from the ONT (optical network terminal) instead of using Coax. And sorry to be a douche, but its CAT5, not RJ45, thats just a connector. :D

And yes, OP, fiber will be taking over copper in the future. Its ability's are amazing even now. I get 30/5 internet, full FiOS HD television and 3 separate phone lines coming into my house via a single fiber line 2mm in diameter. And that's just barely touching its potential.

Read up on FTTP (fiber to the premises) and FTTH (fiber to the home).

This is true, unless you are subscribing to FiOS TV, you can run CAT5 from the ONT (optical network terminal) instead of using Coax. And sorry to be a douche, but its CAT5, not RJ45, thats just a connector. :D

Sorry to be a douche, but it could be CAT6 as well.

I'll douche in here...CAT3

:p

I'll out douche you all:
* Cat 1: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Previously used for POTS telephone communications, ISDN and doorbell wiring.
* Cat 2: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Previously was frequently used on 4 Mbit/s token ring networks.
* Cat 3: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B, used for data networks using frequencies up to 16 MHz. Historically popular for 10 Mbit/s Ethernet networks.
* Cat 4: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Provided performance of up to 20 MHz, and was frequently used on 16 Mbit/s token ring networks.
* Cat 5: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Provided performance of up to 100 MHz, and was frequently used on 100 Mbit/s Ethernet networks. May be unsuitable for 1000BASE-T gigabit ethernet.
* Cat 5e: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Provides performance of up to 100 MHz, and is frequently used for both 100 Mbit/s and Gigabit Ethernet networks.
* Cat 6: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Provides performance of up to 250 MHz, more than double category 5 and 5e.
* Cat 6a: Currently defined in ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-10. Provides performance of up to 500 MHz, double that of category 6. Suitable for 10GBase-T.
* Cat 7: An informal name applied to ISO/IEC 11801 Class F cabling. This standard specifies four individually-shielded pairs (STP) inside an overall shield. Designed for transmission at frequencies up to 600 MHz.

Even then Verizon generally runs coax. If you have business fios then they default to turning on the rj45 port on the device. Not sure what they run normally off it as I gave them the cable to use on the last few installs.

I don't really think fios will kill off cable. If anything it will make the cable companies have to fight more for their business which is a good thing. Hell the current cable modems can run at up to like 42 mbps and the next revision has been demo'd at like 150 mbps. They still have some fight in them. Also a lot of the cable backbone is fiber. Overtime I'd expect to see them moving it to the curb or to the house.

Even then Verizon generally runs coax.

All you have to do is ask your installer, and they will (usually) run CAT5 instead. They did for me at least. Although, I had to eventually switch to Coax as I ended up getting FiOS TV.

I have fios with the fios tv, They originally installed just coax which ties you to their router. This weekend thats going to change. Its a simple phonecall to have the ethernet port activated, you still need to keep the router they gave you hooked to the internet connection for the cable boxes *guides and ondemand* but it doesn't care if its behind another router.

Back