• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why Vista 64 bit?

64-bit is the future. Don't cripple the industry by not upgrading now.

Its rather funny to see people in a hardware enthusiast's forum spend all this time and money overclocking 64-bit quad-core chips and tweaking the timings on their memory yet claim a 32-bit OS w/ 3.3GB RAM is "good enough". LOL!

Large business is the only thing holding up 64-bit software progress, which is in general far more slow to adopt than individual buyers/builders.

Most of them are still operating around old 32-bit software and databases running on workstations without 64-bit capable processors.

For example, I work for a national bank which only recently upgraded from Celeron workstations to Core 2 Duo workstations. That is over 4,500 clients that are still running XP Pro 32-bit due to the proprietary financial software that we rely on. It takes a lot of time and money to do upgrades on that scale.
 
...to migrate my data to Vista; which existed in nightly backups I made using XP's built-in backup utility.
I can think of quite a few better ways of doing so that don't need any special steps to move your data to a new OS. I'm not surprised this tool didn't work as advertised. This is also why I don't like storing my data in any proprietary formats. Using SyncToy to copy to a server or to an external drive makes the data much easier to access, if needed.
 
Large business is the only thing holding up 64-bit software progress, which is in general far more slow to adopt than individual buyers/builders.

Most of them are still operating around old 32-bit software and databases running on workstations without 64-bit capable processors.

You're right, I wasn't considering that angle. Hell, I've even seen some bad proprietary software that was probably from like 16-bit in some emulated window. But I think there are other industry-wide issues when companies like Adobe refuse to make 64-bit versions of their software. If most of the new software development migrated over to 64-bit people would be forced to switch at some point, which wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.
 
I can think of quite a few better ways of doing so that don't need any special steps to move your data to a new OS. I'm not surprised this tool didn't work as advertised. This is also why I don't like storing my data in any proprietary formats. Using SyncToy to copy to a server or to an external drive makes the data much easier to access, if needed.

Only downside to that is things like TrueImage ;)
 
Large business is the only thing holding up 64-bit software progress, which is in general far more slow to adopt than individual buyers/builders.

Most of them are still operating around old 32-bit software and databases running on workstations without 64-bit capable processors.

For example, I work for a national bank which only recently upgraded from Celeron workstations to Core 2 Duo workstations. That is over 4,500 clients that are still running XP Pro 32-bit due to the proprietary financial software that we rely on. It takes a lot of time and money to do upgrades on that scale.

I disagree. The average consumer is way too stupid to even know what 64 bit is. I work for a software company, and most of what we see from customers is that there is no plan to even upgrade to Vista, let alone 64 bit. These people are not an exception, they are the majority. When you do this stuff for a living and converse with enthusiasts on forums like this, you forget how unskilled or just plain stupid most people are when it comes to such things. I even had one customer yesterday that called because she just bought a macbook and expected to be able to run our software on it. She was very upset to find out that she wasn't going to be able to run any windows software on it. I told her she could buy parallels or fusion and install windows on it, and she was not pleased. Yes, many businesses are locked into legacy software that will hold them back, but the average consumer isn't moving forward by any means. They will only move forward when it is the only option, because they don't even understand the options. I agree with what you say about large business, but not with the "individual buyers" claim, unless you are talking abut enthusiasts, in which case, I do agree, but unfortunately, they are just a small minority.
 
I disagree. The average consumer is way too stupid to even know what 64 bit is. I work for a software company, and most of what we see from customers is that there is no plan to even upgrade to Vista, let alone 64 bit. These people are not an exception, they are the majority. When you do this stuff for a living and converse with enthusiasts on forums like this, you forget how unskilled or just plain stupid most people are when it comes to such things. I

I agree with that...

Business drive the OS world. Business partnerships are what fuels companies like Microsoft... they have great amounts of input.

Dell/HP and other companies are probably the most responsible for pushing new technologies out the door... That's the only time most folks upgrade- is when it comes on a new system.

I've had plenty of my users ask me "Are we using Vista??".... They obviously have no clue what it is- we use XP.
Heck, upgrading everyone to IE7... they thought it was Vista :rolleyes:
They could school me on software features and how to work it in daily activities, sure, but when it comes to the actual workings behind that- users are clueless.
 
Dell/HP and other companies are probably the most responsible for pushing new technologies out the door... That's the only time most folks upgrade- is when it comes on a new system.

Yep, and they sure aren't pushing anything new. Everyone I know that bought a new Dell in the past year got it with XP. They don't want to support 64 bit, it's probably a full time job supporting more established OS versions.
 
I can think of quite a few better ways of doing so that don't need any special steps to move your data to a new OS. I'm not surprised this tool didn't work as advertised. This is also why I don't like storing my data in any proprietary formats. Using SyncToy to copy to a server or to an external drive makes the data much easier to access, if needed.

It works as advertised, it just has some undisclosed bug in Vista 64-bit, or at least with my WD external drive. Funny you mention SyncToy which is not supported by Microsoft, just kind of thrown out there and left with major bugs 1 2. SyncToy can be a dangerous tool because it will delete files from the source. It also doesn't support things like compression or encryption so it's not a backup tool that I would personally recommend.
 
SyncToy which is not supported by Microsoft
Sure it is- they wrote it.

More accurate is they may not officially support it as a backup tool.

SyncToy can be a dangerous tool because it will delete files from the source if they are somehow unavailable from whatever you choose to back up to (in sync mode). It also doesn't support things like compression or encryption so it's not a backup tool that I would recommend.

I think it also goes on the given that you aren't SYNCING to backup media.
All backups are one way Source ---> Destination.

With SyncToy, you don't change that philosophy, or you DO run into troubles.

For My Docs and stuff like that, it's fantastic I think (personal uses). Backing up a server? No.
 
Sure it is- they wrote it.

More accurate is they may not officially support it as a backup tool.

From the horse's mouth:

Note: We've taken great care to ensure that this tool operates as it should, but it is not part of Windows and is not supported by Microsoft Technical Support. For this reason, Microsoft Technical Support is unable to answer questions about SyncToy.
 
Are patches that look for programs in \program files rather than \program files (x86) a common issue in Vista x64? I haven't had a chance to have my vista 64 box up long enough to install many patches. I hope I don't have to deal with this.
 
Are patches that look for programs in \program files rather than \program files (x86) a common issue in Vista x64? I haven't had a chance to have my vista 64 box up long enough to install many patches. I hope I don't have to deal with this.

The only ones I've run in to could be worked around by running the patch from the intall directory.
 
I need to switch to a 64bit OS ASAP but I'm having trouble deciding. I've tried Vista multiple times before and come to the conclusion that Microsoft must have sat down a 15 year old for his first day in Photoshop and only gave him an hour to work and create a full GUI. That, my friends, is what constitutes Windows Vista's Aero theme and the reason why I basically would have to have my testicles castrated and be shoved blindly into running Vista. That and the fact that Vista sodomizes your CPU and RAM at idle. Now-if I can theoretically and in all reality find all the drivers I need for Windows XP x64, would Vista actually even be better than XP x64 and worth the move?
 
I need to switch to a 64bit OS ASAP but I'm having trouble deciding. I've tried Vista multiple times before and come to the conclusion that Microsoft must have sat down a 15 year old for his first day in Photoshop and only gave him an hour to work and create a full GUI. That, my friends, is what constitutes Windows Vista's Aero theme and the reason why I basically would have to have my testicles castrated and be shoved blindly into running Vista. That and the fact that Vista sodomizes your CPU and RAM at idle. Now-if I can theoretically and in all reality find all the drivers I need for Windows XP x64, would Vista actually even be better than XP x64 and worth the move?

Buy a Mac.
 
Maybe I should use OS X...I'll have to research if all my shit will work with it. Thanks for the advice. :)
 
I need to switch to a 64bit OS ASAP but I'm having trouble deciding. I've tried Vista multiple times before and come to the conclusion that Microsoft must have sat down a 15 year old for his first day in Photoshop and only gave him an hour to work and create a full GUI. That, my friends, is what constitutes Windows Vista's Aero theme and the reason why I basically would have to have my testicles castrated and be shoved blindly into running Vista. That and the fact that Vista sodomizes your CPU and RAM at idle. Now-if I can theoretically and in all reality find all the drivers I need for Windows XP x64, would Vista actually even be better than XP x64 and worth the move?

Depends how heavily biased you are.
If there isn't much changing your mind on Windows or Vista... just get a Mac. It all depends what you are doing though.

Vista 64 is much improved over 64- almost identical driver support to 32 bit.

If you don't like Aero, shut it off. Simple as that.


My next is a question: What do you care what Vista does with idle time???
I mean, it is IDLE time- not used for anything.
Would you rather
A) Have hardware sitting, sucking up juice, doing nothing at all
or
B) Have Vista put it to use
?????

Vista is constantly indexing and caching things- which makes it run faster... That's why huge programs like Photoshop *can* open in as quick as 2 seconds (if you have enough RAM).
Most of it dies down after a month or so, though... and then the rest is just maintenance.
 
I also have tried a Vista version stripped down to fit on a cd as well using the "Classic" theme, using as little resources as possible. I switched back to XP after about 24 hours though.

Also you make it seem like I dislike Windows as a whole. Don't confuse my words; I like XP just fine.

Finally, I looked my new stuff I just ordered/picked up up on the OSx86 site and not everything will fully work. Pity. :(
 
I use SyncToy as the primary method of backing up my remote users documents. You are correct, it does not support compression or encryption, but I have their documents being synched with their home directories, which only they (and me, of course) have access to. My backups are compressed, so no worries there. I can tell you however, it does not delete files from the source. It works quite well, and I have gotten support through TechNet on it.
 
Back
Top