why use Nero/Roxio?

Gomar

Limp Gawd
I have been using Roxio and Nero for many years. Recently, I downloaded a few free DVD burning software, such as BurnAware, etc. They are small downloads, 5-25mb, compared to Nero and Roxio which are 150mb-350mb, and cost mucho $.
The free software seem to work fine, and load faster.
Besides a few minor features, I just dont see any real difference between using the free software vs. Nero or Roxio.

I'll be honest, I only install Nero Burning Rom and Nero Express, but use it because the interface is nice and shiny/ matches stock Vista nicely. Plus I guess the factor of I trust the name Nero in regards to simply burning. That said I'm not a fan of the rest of the bloat they try to get me to install. In terms of having used it and in terms of sheer amount.

I have no idea why anyone would. I use BurnAware personally.

Nero Lite ftw!!! Useful for some DVD stuff the other apps can't/won't/don't handle exactly the same way, and I'm used to using Nero for some processes. I use ImgBurn for quick backups/erasing/etc, but Nero Lite for most everything else. Never had issues...

Nero's never really done me wrong. I'm used to the interface and it's tough to teach an old dog I guess like Joe said. I use ImgBurn also, and I got rid of Alcohol 120% and picked up 52%. All I use it for is drive emulation anyway.

imgburn now has bluray support no need to use anything else tbh

Reason i don't use Nero anymore is they started moving stuff in the new versions and i can never find what i need quickly.

I'm using Infra recorder now, its light quick, dependable, and i can find what features i need quickly

Originally switched from Roxio to Nero because Nero was the better software at the time. Now I've switched from Nero to ImgBurn as Nero (not the lite version) is the textbook example of bloatware.

Roxio 9 is a slick program, haven't had an issue. I guess some people like things a little more polished than freeware progs. I could see either side...
There's a trade-off to programs developed by a group of hacks and an acutal company.

The larger programs like nero and roxio usually have more guided processes for non-power users and tend to try and do other things as well.

Personally I use the freeware alternatives, but I recommend roxio/nero to most people as it is more fluid for most average people.

Nero and Roxio as said tend to offer allot more flexibility in what you want to burn, including things like conversaion (nero encoder) for converting AVI to DVD and and such, it is only bloatware if you do a regular install, i choose custom, and uncheck everything but burningROM.

There's a trade-off to programs developed by a group of hacks and an acutal company.

The hacks at the company get a paycheck and a shiny corporate logo?:rolleyes:

Just because a company sponsors a product doesn't make it great (we're looking at you, Norton,) And just because a program's freeware doesn't make it crap.

I loved nero 6, everything after was just insanely bloated and too expensive.

For windows CDburnXP pro has been perfect for me. K3B in linux is a damn good burner too. Pretty hard to justify buying bloaded nero when those 2 are so good.

I had nero, but I switched to ashampoo and I loved and have been using it ever since.

I'm still on Nero 6.6 and havent found a reason to change.
It works great and doesnt have the bloat of later versions.

I recently installed a new Bluray/HDDVD player + DVD/CD burner and expected to have to configure Nero to use it.
Not necessary, it worked just as if it was the old drive but now gives me the option to burn dual layer.

The hacks at the company get a paycheck and a shiny corporate logo?:rolleyes:

Just because a company sponsors a product doesn't make it great (we're looking at you, Norton,) And just because a program's freeware doesn't make it crap.

Good thing nobody said anything about that.

Scratch that. BurnAware is way better. Roxio did not recognize my external LG DVD burner.

I use ImgBurn for everything except the rare times I burn an audio CD; those cases, I use CDBurnerXP.
(Because ImgBurn has to create a bin/cue for audio cd and then burn...CDBXP burns it straight to disc.)

O great now this once dead thread will start up again with more opinions...

Nothing wrong with those but comon people, look what you are replying to!

I have been using Roxio and Nero for many years. Recently, I downloaded a few free DVD burning software, such as BurnAware, etc. They are small downloads, 5-25mb, compared to Nero and Roxio which are 150mb-350mb, and cost mucho $.
The free software seem to work fine, and load faster.
Besides a few minor features, I just dont see any real difference between using the free software vs. Nero or Roxio.
I know a reason to use Nero over any of those free burners; Nero can apply equalizer filters to the MP3's before you burn, greatly increasing the audio quality. I have not found a free program that does that.

If you think applying an EQ filter to an MP3 can "greatly increase" its quality, you are delusional. No offense. ;)

Is anyone successfully using BurnAware free with Windows 7 64-bit? I love this software, as it is light and the only free burning program I've found that supports CD-Text besides Burrrn. It works fine on my other rig's XP install, but when I run it on Windows 7 I get the message "No supported CD recorder found." I'm pretty sure it's an OS issue, because I have an identical burner in the XP rig (Samsung SH-S203B).

Everyone says nero is bloated, i assume most of you then don't do a custom install and just click yes yes yes to everything, you can install just nero burning rom and be done with it, with no other programs.

Everyone says nero is bloated, i assume most of you then don't do a custom install and just click yes yes yes to everything, you can install just nero burning rom and be done with it, with no other programs.

This is a good idea if you get a free copy somewhere, but who would be stupid enough to buy it, then do such a bare install when there are so many great free alternatives available.

^^^ good point, i dont think it is worth the money, what ever they charge these days, be nice if the sold just nero burning rom, i guess i am jus so used to it.

Back