Why use a seperate e-mail client?

BoyBlunder

[H]ard|Gawd
So, recently I've installed Ubuntu dual-booting on my desktop. I've got a gmail account and noticed that Evolution was installed. I set up the pop servers, etc, and started to download all my mail, but noticed that it wasn't in a format as easy as gmail's web interface.

So my question is:

Why use a program for (web)mail, instead of the web interface?

The only real advantage to grabbing webmail is for keeping it to read offline. Most of my email accounts have the option to be checked via webmail, but I grab them because using about 10 email addresses regularly, it's much easier to have the program to grab all of them at once instead of going through each one manually.

I agree. I've used Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook Express, etc at home, but after switching to GMail over a year ago I haven't looked back. The interface is so much nicer (IMHO), the spam filtering is the best I've seen, the calendar is great, and being able to send/receive from anywhere is another plus.

Of course at work we do use Outlook/Exchange, but as far as *free* personal email is concerned I don't think you can beat some of the big webmail providers.

Like tgd said, your able to read messages offline and archive them. Using an e-mail client is also usefull if you have different e-mail addresses or a lot of mail.

I only have two accounts, and I forward my ISP's e-mail to my Gmail account.

Back