Why the Heck is the University of Cincinnati's Internet SO SLOW?

computerpro3

LightningRod
This is among the more frustrating computer experiences I've ever had. During the day, I get 45mb/s down and 15mb/s up on most speed testing websites. After 4:00PM though, I get 56k speeds. My latest result: 46k/s. It takes a good 30 seconds or more for webpages to load. It's like browsing on a fucking iphone.

Could they be initiating some sort of artificial cap? Or are the billions of dollars they receive every year being pocketed instead of buying us at least ISDN speed internet access?

I can't even do homework they castrated the internet so much. It takes well over a minute for the blackboard academic websites to load. Forget about logging into Steam!

Is there a way to tell if this is being artifically capped? If I know that I can at least start lobbying against it...

Call the Uni's IT, and ask them. They night be having ISP issues.
Last month one of my Uni's ISP had an outage, the network crawled. Pings to them from home took 1000ms on average.

Is the internet slow in your dorm, or in all computer labs on campus?

Are you on the resnet then? That's still really fucking slow (and damn near unacceptable) but IT might be laying down the hammer after what they deem to be high-usage hours to tone down bw use for file-sharing and etc...

4:00pm is about the time when sorority girls fire up limewire and facebook, while the nerds start up the torrents...

10,000 people can drop a 45mbit connection with relative ease

Download something really really huge @ 3pm then track the speed of it until 5pm. If it shoots down at exactly 4pm then they will be throttling, if it is a steady decline then use is to blame.

Back