Why some games are more scarier than others...

ScourggeFX

Gawd
I remember playing Clive Barker's Undying, and several levels into the game I gad to quit. Freaked out and destroyed the cd. Bought it again, played it a bit, wimped out and threw it away. Too evil. It wasn't the graphics, so much as the sound that was disturbing: spooky sounds, strange whispers (like someone reading off an incantation), just plain evil stuff not meant for the average ear (like mine) to hear.

I have a feeling Doom 3 may resort to this level of atmospherics to "screw" you up psychologically. If this is the case, I may be offering my copy of D3 up for sale on ebay.

Oh come on stop trying to act tough. I know some of you are thinking the same thing. :p

My gut's felt the same way about doom 3 once or twice. But, my gut doesn't know what the hell it's talking about...Stupid gut.

The only time i remember being scared in a game was the original Alone in the Dark... but then again, i was only 13-14 at the time. I've played Undying, Silent Hill 3, AvsP, System Shock 3, and other so called scary games, and none of them were 'scary'. I also only play these games at night, with headsets.

I'm a big horror freak... i like the zombie/undead genre, and i also like terrifying movies (that depend on atmosphere rather than special effects to scare you... ie The Ring vs Night of the Living Dead), but i've yet to experience a game that actually scared me... sure, there are some scenes or events in a game that might surprise me (loud noises or jumping monsters), but nothing that said 'damn, i'm not sure i can walk down that corridor and will be able to sleep later'.

SCARE ME i say... i love being scared, but none of these games have come close to it.

wow lol grow up some, let the little guys drop... :D

I remember being like 14 and playing Silent Hill after midnight with all the lights off and in my room alone... yes it was scary, yes I had fun... I never got too scared and turned it off, I just kept playing because its fun to be scared...

If it weren't fun to be scared, games like this wouldn't sell so well.. and why did you go as far as destroying the cd? Thats stupid...

and like Moralpanic said, if I weren't 14 I wouldn't have been scared by Silent Hill... I laugh at people who get scared at those places :) Its so obvious its coming, and that makes it comical to me..

I can't even imagine playing Doom3 at a time other than late at night with the lights all off. The scary atmosphere is half the fun for me :)

I have never really been scared by a game, unless you count playing Sensory Overload when I was 12. The game was set in an abandoned hospital and the (human) enemies were few and far between. When you did run across one, the would usually shout "HEY!" when you entered the room and before you noticed them. Always made me jump.

Eh... the scariest part is that you "destroyed" and threw away perfectly good game CDs.

Welcome to Dumbfuckville. Population: You.

Interesting.. you bought a game twice.. and proceded to destroy it twice? Brilliant.

Don't try the Phantasmagoria series then...the second one is truly disturbing.

The most messed up part was a 14 year old girl or something came up with the first one...then a few years later came up with 2....and i really didnt htink such messed up things went on in little girl's heads.

2 had lots of subliminal messages and mindscrews in it...things would change in subtle ways while you were doing somehting.

Ripper wasn't bad...just gory.

7th guest and 11th hour were ok, not too freaky, but it did have a certain mindscrew element in it.

what I want is a game that will truly make me want to not use my in-ear headphones...a game that will make me wnat to keep the lights on...so far none have been that bad yet.

mustang_steve said:
Don't try the Phantasmagoria series then...the second one is truly disturbing.

The most messed up part was a 14 year old girl or something came up with the first one...then a few years later came up with 2....and i really didnt htink such messed up things went on in little girl's heads.

2 had lots of subliminal messages and mindscrews in it...things would change in subtle ways while you were doing somehting.

Ripper wasn't bad...just gory.

7th guest and 11th hour were ok, not too freaky, but it did have a certain mindscrew element in it.

what I want is a game that will truly make me want to not use my in-ear headphones...a game that will make me wnat to keep the lights on...so far none have been that bad yet.

Oh god... how could I have forgotten the Phantasmagoria series!?

He hit the nail on the freaking head. 1 and 2 were both horrifying. 2 really messed with me a lot more.

God... I think I'm going to play them again.

Have any of you played Realms of the Haunting? Puts modern "horror" games to shame.

Whenever my gut starts acting up I just threaten it with the Double-Barrel Shotgun [TM] . Settles it down real quick it does.

scary games are serious business.
scary.gif

It's all about atmosphere. Silent Hill, by far, had the most disturbing atmosphere I've experienced in a game. Gore, constant certainty of death, torture, and an overall sense of despair gave it a personality of it's own. The Resident Evil remake came really close with it's lifelike locales and amazingly detailed environments/enemies (You could see zombies gnash their teeth/open-and-close their jaws, etc)

in tech tv they were talking about doom 3 and they said
" there are monster poping out of nowhere to scare the shit out of you"
yep. i gotta play the gameee and the only game i've been scared of when i was playing was painkiller, those fucking zombies and stuff. i got scared

Personally I like being scared while playing games, it makes it more intense and "real" to me. I probably wont play Doom 3 during the day just because I think it might take some of the scariness out of it. But that's just me.

ScourggeFX said:
I remember playing Clive Barker's Undying, and several levels into the game I gad to quit. Freaked out and destroyed the cd. Bought it again, played it a bit, wimped out and threw it away. Too evil. It wasn't the graphics, so much as the sound that was disturbing: spooky sounds, strange whispers (like someone reading off an incantation), just plain evil stuff not meant for the average ear (like mine) to hear.

I have a feeling Doom 3 may resort to this level of atmospherics to "screw" you up psychologically. If this is the case, I may be offering my copy of D3 up for sale on ebay.

you obviously have issues that need to be address by a paid physician...

Hey, I remember when DOOM came out back in 93. I was 13 at the time and barely enough machine to run it. Purchased the sharware on 3 floppy disks at Babbages. Played the game in the dark in the basement and I tell you what, I was mentally fucked up for weeks afterwards. I physically could not walk down the hall in our house in the dark cause I was afraid those pink monsters were gonna come around the corner. My folks made me return it and I had to go to counseling afterwards.

True story.

moralpanic said:
The only time i remember being scared in a game was the original Alone in the Dark... but then again, i was only 13-14 at the time. I've played Undying, Silent Hill 3, AvsP, System Shock 3, and other so called scary games, and none of them were 'scary'. I also only play these games at night, with headsets.

I'm a big horror freak... i like the zombie/undead genre, and i also like terrifying movies (that depend on atmosphere rather than special effects to scare you... ie The Ring vs Night of the Living Dead), but i've yet to experience a game that actually scared me... sure, there are some scenes or events in a game that might surprise me (loud noises or jumping monsters), but nothing that said 'damn, i'm not sure i can walk down that corridor and will be able to sleep later'.

SCARE ME i say... i love being scared, but none of these games have come close to it.

i agree, i have never played a game that made me trully afraid or messed my head up, but i have jumped on certain parts.
i too crave a game that will make me afraid of the dark or make me want to sleep with a light on, or even mess my head up a lil.

I've played other scary games, doom 1 and 2. I guess the point I was trying to get across is that some of these games use satanic elements in them, which I don't subscribe to. If you enjoy such games, fine. I don't.

Let's keep this civil.

In my younger days, I've been pretty scared from the Silent Hill and RE series games, but I don't think Doom 3 will be too scary. From the looks of the trailer, though, F.E.A.R. seems to be ready to deliver all the shit-your-pants quality frights one would want.

Back