Why so excited for the iPhone X ? It's the same old thing running boring iOS

If anything, that enhances his credibility (even when I disagree) in my books because he can update his opinions based on the changing facts.

Both Android and iOS are continuously updated and opinions that used to be valid aren't necessarily valid later.

Likewise with different phones. If I've only ever used Samsung phones, then I might be tempted to think that modern Touchwiz is "light" for example (as opposed to just "lighter than it used to be"). The fact he has used so many different phones gives him perspective.

Zorachus
I would expect the screen to be brighter and better than the V30's. Almost nobody disputes Samsung has the better OLED screens for phones right now. I also don't see any particular reason why the X should have hugely different battery life from the iPhone 8+ on average.

So when I say I've used multiple phones from both sides and call a spade a spade, some people take that in a negative way. Yet when somebody else literally does the same thing as me, they get praise.

/shrug

I’ve been enjoying my iPhone X, but iOS 11 has been trouble for me. As of 11.1.2 I still encounter multiple bugs daily. I never thought I’d see the day where I’d say from my experience iPhones currently have the better hardware and Android currently has the more reliable software.

So when I say I've used multiple phones from both sides and call a spade a spade, some people take that in a negative way. Yet when somebody else literally does the same thing as me, they get praise.

/shrug
He's clearly getting taken in a negative way right now so taking a "poor me" stance really doesn't mean much

The fact is, nobody is really objective and Zorachus' opinions have value even when *I* don't think he's correct or logically. Nobody is actually objective and whatever I think is logically might not necessarily be so I am willing to concede to that.

If the X stays like this I can totally live with the battery and then some. I purposely used the phone today and am at 6% left when I took the screen shot.

17C8C772-56F5-45E7-A9C7-C97C52F1C688.png

But don't forget, having an iPhone X will impress your friends. That right there is worth the price, right?

I've noted that there's a whole lot of complaining about iOS 11 that seems to be hamstringing people's impressions of the recent iPhones (and possibly iPads too, for all I know).

I checked my little bro's iPhone SE earlier. It's still on 10.3. I suppose he should keep it that way for the time being? My initial advice was actually to wait and back up the entire thing via iTunes first before upgrading in case something seriously goes wrong post-upgrade, but there's not nearly enough space left on the family computer for that.

After all, from what I understand, iOS downgrades once Apple stops signing 'em are still possible if you have a local backup made, but generally not otherwise.

Still, it is kinda weird that one of the supposed strengths of iOS has backfired hard with all the complaints of performance degradation and bugs in the latest feature release. I hope they sort that out for everyone's sake, and not repeat all of that whenever iOS 12 rolls out.

Just found a video on the Mous case. 1200 foot drop from a helicopter with an iPhone X. Pretty cool.

Just found a video on the Mous case. 1200 foot drop from a helicopter with an iPhone X. Pretty cool.

heck, without a case, the phone did pretty well. Less damage on it than when he dropped it from regular heights! A stunning display of wind resistance!

Let's see that drop tested onto a concrete parking lot, not soft thick padded grass.

If the X stays like this I can totally live with the battery and then some. I purposely used the phone today and am at 6% left when I took the screen shot.

View attachment 44344
Pretty in line with what I’ve been experiencing with moderate use as of late. Gets me through a full day without a problem.

If you want to cherry pick reviews to try and support your opinion, it's pretty easy to pick apart your chosen one, the V30.

Just be happy with your phone and use it. I enjoy my X and find it does what I use my phone for better than an Android phone at the moment. Next year I may go back to the Pixel XL once they sort out the screen/hardware.

There are so many choices right now who cares what someone else uses? I'm happy you are liking your V30 but truth be told you seem to tire of any phone as you nit pick every little detail. Just use it and enjoy it for awhile, until the S9/+ comes out with the 845.

LG V30 review: groundbreaking phone with a deal-breaking flaw

Like its predecessors, the LG V30 is a phone designed to appeal to spec lovers first, though with its pretty aesthetic and great ergonomics it could have stood a chance of attracting a more mainstream audience as well. But the story of LG smartphones has always been a matter of “could have” and “should have.” It’s not that LG phones aren’t improving every year — they are, and they continue to offer cutting-edge spec sheets with each new iteration — but the improvements the company is making seem to always be accompanied by self-inflicted wounds. The LG G5 was a nice step up in design over the G4, but LG hamstrung it with a poorly conceived and quickly aborted modular accessory system. The G6 got better again, but it too lacked the final polishing touch to outshine Samsung’s more accomplished designs.

The V30 arrives half a year after the G6 and, at first blush, appears to rectify everything that ailed LG’s devices of the past. But LG rushed to put an imperfect OLED screen in its flagship phone, preferring to have the highlight spec over the superior user experience, and I can’t condone either the choice or the eventual product. This is a phone that has given me goosebumps with the astonishing quality of its headphone audio, and if I was reviewing it on the strength of music playback alone, I would say it’s one of the best media players on the market. But this is supposed to be a smartphone. And as a smartphone, the LG V30 fails to validate its high price and flagship status.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/10/16/16457544/lg-v30-review-design

As if anyone at The Verge knows anything about smartphones, please. :D

Let's see that drop tested onto a concrete parking lot, not soft thick padded grass.

It's been done actually and it survived. I tried finding the youtube video where they dropped it out of a drone into a parking lot and it still worked.

Edit: Found it.

If you want to cherry pick reviews to try and support your opinion, it's pretty easy to pick apart your chosen one, the V30.

Just be happy with your phone and use it. I enjoy my X and find it does what I use my phone for better than an Android phone at the moment. Next year I may go back to the Pixel XL once they sort out the screen/hardware.

There are so many choices right now who cares what someone else uses? I'm happy you are liking your V30 but truth be told you seem to tire of any phone as you nit pick every little detail. Just use it and enjoy it for awhile, until the S9/+ comes out with the 845.

LG V30 review: groundbreaking phone with a deal-breaking flaw

Like its predecessors, the LG V30 is a phone designed to appeal to spec lovers first, though with its pretty aesthetic and great ergonomics it could have stood a chance of attracting a more mainstream audience as well. But the story of LG smartphones has always been a matter of “could have” and “should have.” It’s not that LG phones aren’t improving every year — they are, and they continue to offer cutting-edge spec sheets with each new iteration — but the improvements the company is making seem to always be accompanied by self-inflicted wounds. The LG G5 was a nice step up in design over the G4, but LG hamstrung it with a poorly conceived and quickly aborted modular accessory system. The G6 got better again, but it too lacked the final polishing touch to outshine Samsung’s more accomplished designs.

The V30 arrives half a year after the G6 and, at first blush, appears to rectify everything that ailed LG’s devices of the past. But LG rushed to put an imperfect OLED screen in its flagship phone, preferring to have the highlight spec over the superior user experience, and I can’t condone either the choice or the eventual product. This is a phone that has given me goosebumps with the astonishing quality of its headphone audio, and if I was reviewing it on the strength of music playback alone, I would say it’s one of the best media players on the market. But this is supposed to be a smartphone. And as a smartphone, the LG V30 fails to validate its high price and flagship status.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/10/16/16457544/lg-v30-review-design

That review has nothing to do with the V30, he's a Pixel 2 XL owner now, and this guy used to be a hardcore Apple guy, I just found his comments interesting. I like his reviews, he's usually pretty unbiased and used to be very pro iPhone.

That review has nothing to do with the V30, he's a Pixel 2 XL owner now, and this guy used to be a hardcore Apple guy, I just found his comments interesting. I like his reviews, he's usually pretty unbiased and used to be very pro iPhone.

? It's his review of the V30? So he's only biased against the V30?

Went to Best Buy today to window shop. I know a salesman there, he let's me play with the phones with the security tether off.

- Pixel 2 XL = Wow, as in wow not impressed. I'm a huge Nexus fan, and the Pixel 2 XL seemed sort of meh, zero wow factor, zero coolness. Design seemed dated like something from last year or two years ago. The Frankenstein forehead bezel looks weird, and overall the phone seems awfully large for just 6" display. Screen looked nice, not great not bad. But not Note 8 quality at all. I have the LG V30 now, and the V30 style wise looks so much nicer, but I prefer stock Android #1, was thinking maybe get the Pixel 2 XL, but after a short play time with it, just did not grab me or excite me. This is off my list for now.

- iPhone X = Wow, as in super cool very impressive. As you know I am no iPhone fan, but damn did Apple get the design of the X just right. Stunning phone, and super compact. You put the iPhone X next to the Pixel 2 XL, and the X looks like it's from2018 the future, and the 2 XL looks like it's from 2016. And why is the Pixel 2 XL so HUGE next to the iPhone X ? The screen sizes are so close 5.8" and 6.0", for only a minor 0.2" difference, the 2 XL you would think should be like 6.5" display, it's way too large of a phone for a 6" screen, where the X is so much more compact and easiest to hold, with a screen just a very little bit smaller. I really liked the iPhone X a lot though, just a fantastic phone. Screen is super bright, and looks wonderful. The wight and feel in hand, overall package is damn near the best phone I've ever held. Thing is, I'm not a iOS fan, it works like something from 2009, just such a crap OS. The X needs a JB bad to make it even tolerable I'd imagine.

There is no perfect phone, to me the perfect phone would be the iPhone X running stock Android 8.1

There is no perfect phone, to me the perfect phone would be the iPhone X running stock Android 8.1
And the battery life would drop from an all day long battery life to half a day. While I love the customization and widgets of Android, this "true multitasking" battery-draining crap is more stupid than the lack of ability to move an icon anywhere on the screen. Because battery life is essential. iOS and WP (RIP) got the multitasking right. You need a significantly larger battery to run Android.

Makes me wish the GPE program was still around. I love stock Android 8.1, I think it's the best smartphone OS to date. 8.1 makes Nougat even feel a little dated already, the nice little minor tweaks and small additional features just make 8.1 so much sweeter, and cool touches.

I would love the option of buying a flagship Android phone, but have it the GPE version, meaning run stock Android. I think the LG V30 would be the best, or the HTC U11+

And the battery life would drop from an all day long battery life to half a day. While I love the customization and widgets of Android, this "true multitasking" battery-draining crap is more stupid than the lack of ability to move an icon anywhere on the screen. Because battery life is essential. iOS and WP (RIP) got the multitasking right. You need a significantly larger battery to run Android.
I imagine the lack of memory management and always forced google services are the main culprit behind Androids asstastical battery life. Usually multitasking capabilities don’t require much resources unless it’s actively used.

I just remember how huge of a difference between WP and Android on the same hardware. I believe that poor memory management has a lot to do with the crap multitasking.

I bet it does, WP was on the same level as iOS at memory management, it also did wonders killing background activities.

Google could do the same but I bet it would piss off all the OEMs if they did. They love their background tasks especially Samsung.

All this talk of background tasks makes me want to give microG a spin for experimentation's sake, since it's basically an open-source reimplementation of Google Play Services without all the phoning-home and other cruft. Would the battery life improve any compared to using an AOSP/LineageOS/whatever derived ROM with typical Gapps, perhaps?

That said, there are people who want certain background tasks to stay open in the background, not unceremoniously killed off by the OS because they didn't seem to be used regularly. These are people generally doing stuff like leaving an RDP/VNC connection in the background, real power user sorts for whom iOS tends to hinder more than help. Of course, those same sort of tasks also aren't exactly conducive to standby battery life in the slightest, which is why a typical mobile OS would kill it after some time.

Also speaking of Apple and multitasking, I remember a time when the Mac OS was constantly trashed for only having cooperative multitasking that was, to put it bluntly, plain crap if you're used to a modern preemptive multitasking system (or even not so modern, if you consider that the Amiga had it back in 1985 when Macintoshes were still monochrome systems and didn't even have MultiFinder). Copland was supposed to solve this around the same time Windows 95 hit the market, but that was so infamously mismanaged that they had to buy up NeXT and turn NeXTSTEP into Mac OS X over the next several years.

But now, there are communities that sort of embrace the limitations of the Classic Mac OS today, in that they think it works like they do: they start one task and see it to completion. Preemptive multitasking only serves to distract them. Perhaps that's how iOS users feel today.

I sometimes wonder if, for all its unimpressiveness on a phone, I'd like iOS a lot better on a 2017 iPad Pro. The slim form factor, battery life and screen quality (120 Hz!!!) are certainly hard to argue with when it comes to a potential sketch tablet that's feasible to use on the go, but it's got a price tag that puts it squarely in Surface Pro territory, to say nothing of all the other Tablet PCs out there - like the MobileStudio Pro that makes the iPad Pro and Surface Pro alike both look like budget products.

I sometimes wonder if, for all its unimpressiveness on a phone, I'd like iOS a lot better on a 2017 iPad Pro. The slim form factor, battery life and screen quality (120 Hz!!!) are certainly hard to argue with when it comes to a potential sketch tablet that's feasible to use on the go, but it's got a price tag that puts it squarely in Surface Pro territory, to say nothing of all the other Tablet PCs out there - like the MobileStudio Pro that makes the iPad Pro and Surface Pro alike both look like budget products.
I just got a 2017 iPad Pro (10.5") a few days ago. After using it and getting comfortable with the gestures, I must say I'm liking iOS a helluva lot better than when I had an iPhone X. In fact, the iPad came with 10.3 installed and I resisted upgrading to 11.2 because of my disappointment with the X. But, I did so and am very pleased with the performance. Only time I push the home button now is to wake up the tablet. Everything else is easier with gestures. The screen is magnificent, though it only spins up to 120Hz when needed. Streaming video is quite a treat on this thing. The four-speaker audio system is very good, too.

Why does T-Mobile require such a huge deposit for the X, where the other 3 big carriers require zero down.

I'm not even in the market for the iPhone X, I just picked up the LG V30 last month on my 'JoD' ( Jump on Demand ) program with T-Mobile, that I've been on for several years now.

The V30 was $0 down payment, zero. As is the Note 8 right now too. But I did inquire just for the heck of it on the iPhone X, my Wife was maybe possibly thinking of getting it, and even on the JoD program the iPhone X from T-Mobile is like $360 down payment. It's $279 + the taxes on the phone, and some surcharge.

I just found that strange, because the Note 8 on JoD is zero money down, and is a similarly priced phone as the X. So I did quick bit of researching, and with ATT, Sprint, Verizon, and Xfinity, the iPhone X is $0 down with those carriers.

Oh well, I'm not switching carriers for one phone, I'm happy with T-Mobile overall, I will get her the Note 8, she had the Note 5 and liked it a lot, she actually used the S-Pen a fair amount. She's currently on the LG G6.

My point is, JoD looses it's appeal if you need to start putting big deposits down on phones, so then what's the point of having the option to upgrade your phone 3 times a year for each line with JoD if you need to put down $350 each time ? Fuck, it may be best just to leave T-Mobile, and buy a couple of OnePlus 5t's, and be off contract and call it a day.

Why does T-Mobile require such a huge deposit for the X, where the other 3 big carriers require zero down.

I'm not even in the market for the iPhone X, I just picked up the LG V30 last month on my 'JoD' ( Jump on Demand ) program with T-Mobile, that I've been on for several years now.

The V30 was $0 down payment, zero. As is the Note 8 right now too. But I did inquire just for the heck of it on the iPhone X, my Wife was maybe possibly thinking of getting it, and even on the JoD program the iPhone X from T-Mobile is like $360 down payment. It's $279 + the taxes on the phone, and some surcharge.

I just found that strange, because the Note 8 on JoD is zero money down, and is a similarly priced phone as the X. So I did quick bit of researching, and with ATT, Sprint, Verizon, and Xfinity, the iPhone X is $0 down with those carriers.

Oh well, I'm not switching carriers for one phone, I'm happy with T-Mobile overall, I will get her the Note 8, she had the Note 5 and liked it a lot, she actually used the S-Pen a fair amount. She's currently on the LG G6.

My point is, JoD looses it's appeal if you need to start putting big deposits down on phones, so then what's the point of having the option to upgrade your phone 3 times a year for each line with JoD if you need to put down $350 each time ? Fuck, it may be best just to leave T-Mobile, and buy a couple of OnePlus 5t's, and be off contract and call it a day.

I believe T-Mobile does large deposit requirements for their newly released big ticket items. The Note 8 also had a large deposit requirement (I believe it was $270-ish) when it first released. We'll likely see the iPhone X's deposit requirement go down in a couple months.

I just find it odd, that the other 3 big carries are cool with ZERO down for the iPhone X, and TMobile isn't just a little higher with asking for $99 didn't or even the old school $199 classic down payment all carriers used to do. But to be at $360+ seems pretty crazy.

For two phones would be $700+ just for a deposit. Damn that's almost the price of 2 brand new Essential phones, paid in full, well $800 for the two ($399ea) LOL

Oh well, I will most likely be buying myself the Pixel 2 XL at Christmas, and maybe move to a ATT Go SIM.

I think the limit was somewhere around $720 or so, so if the phone's full price exceeds that, you have to pay the amount over that up-front. It's painfully apparent with flagship pricing over the past two years.

This is exactly why I didn't do T-Mobile's BOGO deal on the Note 8; I simply couldn't afford $500+ up-front for two phones, even if selling off the second would easily pay off the first one. Meanwhile, I could get an unlocked one directly from Samsung with nothing down up front, and it turns out they gave me a 256 GB microSD card instead of the 128 GB microSD they initially promised and likely would have delivered instead had I tried to claim it on the two T-Mobile phones.

As a bonus, I didn't have to jump through any hoops with adding an additional line nobody in the family needs and cancelling that after they give us the rebate on the second phone so we can pay it off, own it outright and thus resell it.

Likewise, for those iPhone X-inclined, you may well be better off just buying directly from Apple for all I know. Haven't really checked if they had any financing options, though, but given the usual prices on bitten fruit hardware...

IMO if you can't afford (or don't want to) pay for at least half of the phone up front, then you probably shouldn't be telling the manufacturer to keep jacking up their already overpriced phone's prices by buying the overpriced phone in the first place. I wish more people would follow this, because I see every complete broke dick I know with a new Note 8 or iPhone X since they don't have to put anything down on them from their carrier can can finance it for $40+/month through their carrier. Just saw my neighbor who's a single mom with 3 kids and $15ish/hour job and getting nothing for child support with a iPhone X from a local carrier we have. I guess her previous iPhone 7 Plus was just that bad. :rolleyes:

I've seen several other similar cases as well here lately, so I'm guessing at least half (probably being a bit conservative) of the people you see walking around with the new iPhone or Samsung flagships probably have them when they couldn't even afford to buy even 1/4 of the phone outright, lol. I'll give it up to the carriers though; that was a brilliant move to drop the contracts with $200+ entry fees for flagship phones so even the vast sea of financial inept consumers have access to these flagship phones.

IMO if you can't afford (or don't want to) pay for at least half of the phone up front, then you probably shouldn't be telling the manufacturer to keep jacking up their already overpriced phone's prices by buying the overpriced phone in the first place. I wish more people would follow this, because I see every complete broke dick I know with a new Note 8 or iPhone X since they don't have to put anything down on them from their carrier can can finance it for $40+/month through their carrier. Just saw my neighbor who's a single mom with 3 kids and $15ish/hour job and getting nothing for child support with a iPhone X from a local carrier we have. I guess her previous iPhone 7 Plus was just that bad. :rolleyes:

I've seen several other similar cases as well here lately, so I'm guessing at least half (probably being a bit conservative) of the people you see walking around with the new iPhone or Samsung flagships probably have them when they couldn't even afford to buy even 1/4 of the phone outright, lol. I'll give it up to the carriers though; that was a brilliant move to drop the contracts with $200+ entry fees for flagship phones so even the vast sea of financial inept consumers have access to these flagship phones.

I just buy mine outright. Have done so since the old BYOD discounts on AT&T and force of habit as I used to be a habitual phone swapper.

However, the way the AT&T lease Program is set up now there is no real incentive to buy them outright as the monthly line discount of $25 applies to BYOD or lease.

Your bill shows a $40 monthly line charge and then you get a $25 discount for a BYOD or a leased phone.

I don't like to rent/lease so I just buy my phones and can sell them when I want without jumping through hoops.

I have 8 phones on an AT&T Family Share Plan and 7 of the 8 phones were purchased outright. Most have been bought on Swappa as you can save a few hundred that way per device.

One phone is on a lease as I moved my mom over to my plan as it cut her $120 bill down to $60 or so even with her leasing an 8+. She is not into used phones and could pay for the phone outright but has no intention on upgrading sooner than 24 months so she considers it an interest free loan.

I can see both sides of the coin now as the incentive to buy your device outright is gone with a 0% loan, no additional discounts for BYOD, and if you don't intend to switch carriers then it's a hard sell to many to buy at full retail.

I have been with AT&T (Cingular way back when) since my original Motorola bag phone (I don't remember if the bag phone was on a plan or not other than it was something like $0.50/minute to use) or at least the old Motorola Razr flip phones, so switching carriers is not something I have needed to do.

I'm probably going to purchase the Pixel 2 XL outright from Google. I'm ok forking out $850 or so. That's my extreme limit on a smartphone. But spending over a $1,000 cash, no thanks.

I think the only smartphones to buy are the iPhone or Pixel phone. Direct support from the source, good warranties. And I'm just more comfortable with stock Android. Would hate to get an X and a week later be pissed off because I don't like iOS.

And my point about TMobile's high deposit on the iPhone X, is more about the JoD program, with big deposits needed being on something like Jump on Demand seems like it's not worth it as much anymore. I might just buy my Pixel full price from Google and go contract free on something like ATTGo Phone.

I really hate the phone financing system that carriers have switched to. They are all fucking slimy and prey on people who really can't afford the real price of phones that the sales guys pitch to them.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I'm probably going to purchase the Pixel 2 XL outright from Google. I'm ok forking out $850 or so. That's my extreme limit on a smartphone. But spending over a $1,000 cash, no thanks.

I think the only smartphones to buy are the iPhone or Pixel phone. Direct support from the source, good warranties. And I'm just more comfortable with stock Android. Would hate to get an X and a week later be pissed off because I don't like iOS.

And my point about TMobile's high deposit on the iPhone X, is more about the JoD program, with big deposits needed being on something like Jump on Demand seems like it's not worth it as much anymore. I might just buy my Pixel full price from Google and go contract free on something like ATTGo Phone.

Wait... what? :p
- Pixel 2 XL = Wow, as in wow not impressed. I'm a huge Nexus fan, and the Pixel 2 XL seemed sort of meh, zero wow factor, zero coolness. Design seemed dated like something from last year or two years ago. The Frankenstein forehead bezel looks weird, and overall the phone seems awfully large for just 6" display. Screen looked nice, not great not bad. But not Note 8 quality at all. I have the LG V30 now, and the V30 style wise looks so much nicer, but I prefer stock Android #1, was thinking maybe get the Pixel 2 XL, but after a short play time with it, just did not grab me or excite me. This is off my list for now.

Wait... what? :p

It's all about the OS man. Yes I'd prefer a more compact style and design on the Pixel 2 XL, but at the end of the day it's the OS that matters #1.

A flashy cool looking phone is for kids. But a rock solid OS directly supported by the manufacturer for 2 to 3 years is most important.

It's all about the OS man. Yes I'd prefer a more compact style and design on the Pixel 2 XL, but at the end of the day it's the OS that matters #1.

A flashy cool looking phone is for kids. But a rock solid OS directly supported by the manufacturer for 2 to 3 years is most important.
Yeah, I get it. I got my second Pixel 2 XL, this morning... and repacked it for return to Google. The screen on the one I received isn't any better than what was on my first 2 XL. :(

Are you on their old Simple Choice plans or their current One plan? Cuz I know they're still doing the $350 credit for activating a Pixel phone on your account if you're on the One plan. I was thinking about calling and begging them to give me the credit on my SC plan since the One plans are considerably more expensive, I'll have less tethering data (currently have a 20GB data stash), and they won't really benefit me in any way since I essentially have unlimited data (for any streaming service) with Binge-On enabled on my 6GB plan. I know they gave that credit to SC plan users last year for the Pixel since the One plan had just came out at the time, but I don't think that offer is still on the table anymore and am curious if anyone else has got them to do it recently.

Getting that credit is about the only way I could consider getting the 2 XL at its current price. I don't care how good the phone is, it's not going to be worth $850 for me when my current 6P is still working great and I paid half as much for it 18 months ago. Otherwise the only phones I'm considering replacing it with is the Essential, 5T, or maybe the Mate 10 (non-Pro).

Back