I came across this interesting article titled, Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea. What do you think about it? I've copied and pasted the introduction below. Click on that link to read the rest of the article. He also compared Seagate and Western Digital hard drives in terms of reliability based on his company's data. These 2 things (RAID vs. no RAID and Seagate vs. WD) might generate some discussion.
Jon Bach said:Introduction
As president of Puget Custom Computers, I get a unique perspective on computer products and technology. Our company specializes in selling high performance custom computers, and that naturally brings up the question of RAID often. There is an overwhelming opinion out there that if you have the money and want a blazing fast and stable computer, that you should put your hard drives in RAID. We have known for years that this perception is just flat out wrong, but the problem is that the idea is so widely accepted that it is nearly impossible to convince our customers otherwise. In fact, if we try too hard to talk them out of it, we end up losing the sale! So, should we be selling configurations that we know are flawed, for the sake of making the sale? To be honest, if it comes down to it we will, but not without a fight! This article is just the latest effort in educating the public about RAID.
To be clear, there are definitely times when RAID is a good route. I will get into that later, but I need to start by saying that I am not talking about enterprise servers. That is a completely different type of computer. I am talking about home desktops, enthusiast computers, and professional workstations.
...