Why Popular YouTubers Sound The Same

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ever wonder why all popular YouTubers sound the same? Let a professor of linguistics break it all down for you.

Naomi Baron is a professor of linguistics at American University who studies electronically mediated communication. She watched some videos that I sent her, and was very patient with my continued pleas of, “No, but I feel like something is going on here.” And so here, thanks to Baron, are the linguistic components of YouTube voice.

Most Youtube videos are useless narcissistic garbage made by morons who love hearing themselves talk.

Cmdrmonkey, narcissists don't do well if they don't go about with a sales pitch to peddle their wares. That article essentially points out that youtubers shill as hard as any well-oiled car salesmen in their intonation in hope that they can get that ad revenue from the viewers.

Most Youtube videos are useless narcissistic garbage made by morons who love hearing themselves talk.

If they are morons, what are the people that watch them?

For me, YT videos have to offer something - whether it's entertainment or information. If there's a face cam, I avoid it. I find nothing entertaining about people like pewdiepie, and am flabbergasted by the amount of subscribers they get.

For me, YT videos have to offer something - whether it's entertainment or information. If there's a face cam, I avoid it. I find nothing entertaining about people like pewdiepie, and am flabbergasted by the amount of subscribers they get.

This.

I would have had the same thought.... before. But recently, I have had a change of heart. Watching dumbasses online is a fun way to find people to laugh at.

That said, there are good tv shows for that, and most youtube stuff don't quite match up. one might argue piediepie or whatnot is like that, but I dont really watch those, they just seem like "pop" stupid, as in they are acting stupid for their audience, rather than just being a turd brain.

Why would you be surprised? Most people are socially driven, not internally driven. Pewdiepie is a good-looking guy with some silly antics who got in early. It shouldn't be a surprise that someone like him snowballed in popularity as Youtube grew.

Back