Why PC game?

When you play COD 4 on PC, no aim assist. You play COD 4 on console, there's aim assist... now why is that? Hmm..

At this time, I am able to buy PC games for much, much less than the console version. Just saw Metro 2033 at Gamestop for Xbox 360 for $49.99 new retail. I just got it off Steam for PC on sale for $9.99.

Consoles are highway robbery. I used to play them during the PS2 days and before when ports were not an issue for 98% of titles released on consoles...

It's a culture. It's a lifestyle. You can immerse yourself better in pc gaming. I can't imagine playing console all night in a couch ... I'd fall asleep. There's something special about gaming on pc.

Now that the PC has so very few exclusive titles why do people still game on a PC?

I haven't read the entire thread yet so I don't know if this has been covered yet or not, but the above statement is incredibly wrong.

PC has tons of exclusive titles. More than Xbox or PS3 by a wide margin, even if you don't count MMO's. Its true there are less exclusive titles on PC than there used to be, but thats because EVERYTHING on PC used to be exclusive. Now a small percentage is no longer exclusive, but to say that "very few" are exclusive to PC is just wrong.

1. Mouse and Keyboard works better as a controller for most games
  2. I like having a keyboard for chatting
  3. I like the higher resolutions supported (I run at 2560x1600)
  4. I think the PC has better graphics
  5. I like the experience dedicated servers provide over matchmaking
  6. Some of my favorite games have been mods
  7. until recently games were $10 cheaper
  8. I like not having to worry about discs (yay for Steam and digital distribution)
  9. Steam puts games on sale for cheaper then used copies for consoles
  10. Support exists for multiple monitors, either in an eyefinity configuration or for some games independent configuration (see Supreme Commander)
  11. some game types are almost unplayable on a console. You can easily plug in a controller to a PC if you want to play fighers on a PC, but try playing MMOs, RTSs or Isometric RPGs /action RPGs (think diablo / fallout 2) on a console, it just doesn't work very well.
  12. Ventrilo/Skype provide FAR superior voice quality to xbox for voice communication (I have never played MP with voice on a PS3)
  13. Support for more then 16 Players (yay 64 person battlefield games)
  14. Ability to browse the internet at the same time as you play games, either via a separate monitor or via the steam browser.

Also I don't really PCs are even that much more expensive either. For the most part you can take any PC that people are buying anyways, spend $150 to stick a new graphics card in it and it will look better then a console.
Granted there are options for enthusiasts who want to spend more (I love gaming at mega high resolution) but for your average person a gaming PC really isn't that expensive.

Last edited:
I agree with pretty much most of the reasons given here so far. My main reason though is the mouse keyboard combo, it's so much more precise for especially on shooters.

To OP:

PC gaming is more of a hobby than entertainment. Most of us get a lot of joy from upgrading and tweaking our PCs. If you look at it from a pure gaming point of view, consoles may seem better, but a PC is the most fexible machine on the market. I can game, surf the net, watch tv, work etc. all at the same time on a PC. The investment in a PC is more than just gaming, many of us work with, service or sell computers for a living. The PC we spent money on is helping us provide for our families and lifestyle. Console owners also have computers, they just combine the two to save money and the need to switch between two devices. MS, Nintendo and Sony are selling separate gaming devices that a PC is currently capable of providing. Sounds like a money grab to me, people want so they provide it. I've owned consoles up until 2008 and I haven't had a better experience on a console than I had on a PC.

Sometimes you have to wonder why a lot of content is free or costs less on PC, then on the console it costs more money. MS, Sony and Nintendo has a captive audience and they're taking full advantage of it.
PC gamers are very rebellious, those companies know not to bring that confined console model to the PC community. A custom PC will outperform a console and play at true 1080p. Your gaming experience will be enhanced and you'll compete against real competition.

I stated a different point of view than just saying better graphics, keyboard/mouse, upgrade etc. since that's not important to everyone.
PC builders, gamers and the like are truly paying for "flexibility." That is what makes all of us on the [H]ardfourm unique. People like being different and their PCs reflect that.

Last edited:
I'd say get a Wii or something to play games in the living room and the PC for everything else. I want to have control over the hardware, tweak things, and have more uses that gaming. I will always be a PC gamer.

Well if you want to play RTS you need a PC. If you want to play FPS the way they should be played you need a PC. Consoles are kind of limited in their experiences, PC provides all of em.

I use both. Both have provided me with many hours of entertainment. PC + PS3 FTW!

Gaming on the pc is just better, we dont have to deal with convoluted controls utilizing button modifiers etc. The precision of the mouse is still unmatched by any analog stick and on top of being able to run games with better graphical options we get a far better multiplayer experience. The private dedicated server is still king and I dont have to pay 50$ a year to microsoft to utilize these features. This doesn't even start to mention the added utility of a pc out side of the gaming realm that only ads to its appeal. Why would I want two separate devices to play games on, both with a few unique tacked on gimmicks when I can have one that does absolutely every thing I need it to?

$50 can get you a graphics card that when put in a modern PC, will leave the Xbox 360 in the dust.

Back