Why OLED for PC use?

I’ve got the Alienware 34” QD-OLED and will never go back to IPS/TN/VA panels.

Because my LG OLED is a universe better than my 144hz gaming IPS screen...

I'm on the IPS screen now on a secondary system I still use it on. It's ok. Good. Maybe even pretty great. But the OLED screen just obliterates it in every single way. Color, contrast, brightness, HDR, everything. So yes, I consider it totally worth it as a PC monitor.

Give me a tech that looks at least as good that has no burn in issues, and I'll buy that instead. Until then I'm going to use this OLED for as long as she'll last.

What valuable info does it really have? Even on LCD I just hide it because that desktop space is more valuable than seeing a clock, some tray icons and open windows.
It's annoying to need to drag my mouse down EVERY SINGLE TIME I need use the task bar which is often. It's a waste of my time. It adds over and over and over. That looks of a blank stare your face when you wait for the taskbar to pop up as you sink your mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen, THEN proceed to move the mouse cursor to where you need to click on. Very, very obnoxious to be honest. I would hate to be OBLIGATED to do that. The caps are for emphasis not yelling lol

Because my LG OLED is a universe better than my 144hz gaming IPS screen...

I'm on the IPS screen now on a secondary system I still use it on. It's ok. Good. Maybe even pretty great. But the OLED screen just obliterates it in every single way. Color, contrast, brightness, HDR, everything. So yes, I consider it totally worth it as a PC monitor.

Give me a tech that looks at least as good that has no burn in issues, and I'll buy that instead. Until then I'm going to use this OLED for as long as she'll last.
There is no OLED that doesn't burn in. Also I think you have it backwards for brightness. Mini led obliterate OLED in brightness and impact of the image which is what the vast majority of the population cares about more. Also if OLED tried to compete with mini led in brightness it would burn itself to a crisp, literally. Other variables you call "obliterate" are merely negligible at best. It's just a nerd pissing contest really how similar mini led looks to oled. Let's not over react. Lol.

There is no OLED that doesn't burn in. Also I think you have it backwards for brightness. Mini led obliterate OLED in brightness and impact of the image which is what the vast majority of the population cares about more. Also if OLED tried to compete with mini led in brightness it would burn itself to a crisp, literally. Other variables you call "obliterate" are merely negligible at best. It's just a nerd pissing contest really how similar mini led looks to oled. Let's not over react. Lol.

While I'll agree with you on burn-in being a nature of the technology (I'd sworn off OLED until now because I've experienced it before on an early-generation OLED TV, so I'm no fan of burn-in; that said, given I keep hearing things have improved, I figured it's time I try it again), I'm gonna disagree with you on image impact. I tried two 32" IPS panels (one edge-lit, the other mini-LED FALD at 3X the price of the OLED I'm using now), and neither one was as impactful as the OLED (the new LG 27") I finally settled on when accounting for everything (not to mention other issues with each of them). Sure, they could get much brighter, but to me, the perfect blacks and perfect viewing angles mean a lot more, and I still find HDR in games plenty impactful and bright when they need to be (granted, I am in a room with a lot of light control). I legit flinched at some things in HDR Dead Space. I was very excited for the IPS monitors, but very underwhelmed when I experienced them in person. For this price point, I'd rather have to replace the OLED that I'm totally happy with sooner than I'd like over a monitor I'm unhappy with from day one that cost a lot more. It's going to vary based on your room situation and what you value most in a monitor personally, of course. I can see brightness being an issue for some people. But as it's not an issue for me, it's not even a contest, which surprised me because that was the last thing I expected (especially since I love my FALD LCD/LED TV so much).

Micro-LED is the only thing that’ll best OLED. And it’s going to be a little while before we see those trickle down to monitors. It’s the only display tech on the horizon I’ll give up my OLED for.

While I'll agree with you on burn-in being a nature of the technology (I'd sworn off OLED until now because I've experienced it before on an early-generation OLED TV, so I'm no fan of burn-in; that said, given I keep hearing things have improved, I figured it's time I try it again), I'm gonna disagree with you on image impact. I tried two 32" IPS panels (one edge-lit, the other mini-LED FALD at 3X the price of the OLED I'm using now), and neither one was as impactful as the OLED (the new LG 27") I finally settled on when accounting for everything (not to mention other issues with each of them). Sure, they could get much brighter, but to me, the perfect blacks and perfect viewing angles mean a lot more, and I still find HDR in games plenty impactful and bright when they need to be (granted, I am in a room with a lot of light control). I legit flinched at some things in HDR Dead Space. I was very excited for the IPS monitors, but very underwhelmed when I experienced them in person. For this price point, I'd rather have to replace the OLED that I'm totally happy with sooner than I'd like over a monitor I'm unhappy with from day one that cost a lot more. It's going to vary based on your room situation and what you value most in a monitor personally, of course. I can see brightness being an issue for some people. But as it's not an issue for me, it's not even a contest, which surprised me because that was the last thing I expected (especially since I love my FALD LCD/LED TV so much).
Ya some OLEDs image quality is better than some other oleds picture quality they vary from model or brand etc. For example I tried the LG Ç2 and returned it in less than 2 days. I was honestly upset. Like mad at how much I was mislead into buying it from users on forums boasting about it. I felt lied to. The picture was so dim at full brightness I hated it. The ABL was so aggressive I couldn't stand the shifts in brightness. It drove me to the point of anger lol. I can't stand the brightness shifting on it's own. Not used to it and not something I want to get used to, why should I? Never have before why do I need to now? No way. The whites on the LG Oled looked like a dim grey with a blueish tint across the screen to top it off. I messed with all the settings that are in the default OSD and wasn't able to make it much any better. My hands felt tied. I very, very quickly realized that I hate OLED and everything it's cracked up to be.

Not until el there is not burn in risk at all. Which would mean no dim brightness limit. Which would also mean no aggressive ABL. Which would also mean no need to take anti burn in measures by the dozen. Which would mean No need to worry about screen burning your money and dealing with buying a new one etc or dealing with warranty and returns and exchanges or whatever.

It's all just a headache I'm not going down that road until the technology is ready for prime time. It has very bad dependability and that is a major factor in a decision whether to invest money in a product. Especially in the thousand dollars or more range.

After returning the C2 I brought home the QN90B and holy shit. The difference was astonishing. I was flabbergasted at how much more I loved the mini led and actually truly hated the OLED. I would take the Samsung mini led 10 times out of 10 in comparison to the LG Oled. I play games at 4k 144hz like a champ. The QN series mini leds are phenomenal as far as mini led technology goes for a large screen and are priced very reasonably. I love them so much I have 2. One in the living room and one in the PC room. Keep in mind this is after returning the OLED. Lol. I wouldn't take the OLED if you gave it too me. You couldn't even see the picture in the living room my wife was like why is it so dark lol. Yea it's not for my normal user wife and definitely not for the PC enthusiast me. It's a massive fail in my experience.

It's annoying to need to drag my mouse down EVERY SINGLE TIME I need use the task bar which is often. It's a waste of my time. It adds over and over and over. That looks of a blank stare your face when you wait for the taskbar to pop up as you sink your mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen, THEN proceed to move the mouse cursor to where you need to click on. Very, very obnoxious to be honest. I would hate to be OBLIGATED to do that. The caps are for emphasis not yelling lol
You can just press the Windows key on your keyboard instead to show the task bar. I don't use an OLED, but I hide the task bar to get more vertical space. It's not too bad once you get used to it, but I agree that it's not ideal.

Ya some OLEDs image quality is better than some other oleds picture quality they vary from model or brand etc. For example I tried the LG Ç2 and returned it in less than 2 days. I was honestly upset. Like mad at how much I was mislead into buying it from users on forums boasting about it. I felt lied to. The picture was so dim at full brightness I hated it. The ABL was so aggressive I couldn't stand the shifts in brightness. It drove me to the point of anger lol. I can't stand the brightness shifting on it's own. Not used to it and not something I want to get used to, why should I? Never have before why do I need to now? No way. The whites on the LG Oled looked like a dim grey with a blueish tint across the screen to top it off. I messed with all the settings that are in the default OSD and wasn't able to make it much any better. My hands felt tied. I very, very quickly realized that I hate OLED and everything it's cracked up to be.

Not until el there is not burn in risk at all. Which would mean no dim brightness limit. Which would also mean no aggressive ABL. Which would also mean no need to take anti burn in measures by the dozen. Which would mean No need to worry about screen burning your money and dealing with buying a new one etc or dealing with warranty and returns and exchanges or whatever.

It's all just a headache I'm not going down that road until the technology is ready for prime time. It has very bad dependability and that is a major factor in a decision whether to invest money in a product. Especially in the thousand dollars or more range.

After returning the C2 I brought home the QN90B and holy shit. The difference was astonishing. I was flabbergasted at how much more I loved the mini led and actually truly hated the OLED. I would take the Samsung mini led 10 times out of 10 in comparison to the LG Oled. I play games at 4k 144hz like a champ. The QN series mini leds are phenomenal as far as mini led technology goes for a large screen and are priced very reasonably. I love them so much I have 2. One in the living room and one in the PC room. Keep in mind this is after returning the OLED. Lol. I wouldn't take the OLED if you gave it too me. You couldn't even see the picture in the living room my wife was like why is it so dark lol. Yea it's not for my normal user wife and definitely not for the PC enthusiast me. It's a massive fail in my experience.
I also had the C2 42" for 2 days lol. FWIW I think you can turn off the auto dimming.

What valuable info does it really have? Even on LCD I just hide it because that desktop space is more valuable than seeing a clock, some tray icons and open windows.
easier to quickly go down and launch things, or open something from muiltiple tabs vs alt+tab through several windows

This guy yelling everything was frustrating to watch. Then he keeps repeating the same points over and over. So nobody else has to watch this crap, here's a summary:
  • Likes the 360 Hz LCD best for eSports because of the higher refresh rate and how it feels to play with a locked 359 fps.
  • Neo G8 best for single player games and likes the HDR brightness. Less responsive for eSports games when local dimming is used.
  • LG 1440p OLED is good as an overall option for single/multiplayer games and not having to buy a more powerful GPU like you would need with the 4K Neo G8.
  • Feels the LG 1440p OLED is too dim.
I don't disagree with those points. Cannot say about brightness as I haven't used the LG 1440p. I just really, really hate "YouTube personalities".
I would be curious if a blind test was done on monitors and changing the FPS between like 240 to 360 would they even notice.....I am sure most e-gamers would not even notice...

I can't even imagine what you guys think a "bright" display looks like, my screen is at a brightness of 20 and its sometimes too bright still. Are you sure you don't want to just go outside and try to stare down the sun?
It's hard for me to comprehend too sometimes but I guess it's about how much light there is in their environment.

For example I definitely keep my displays in the office a bit brighter than at home, same with my laptop most of the time. But when I'm home OLED brightness is perfect for me in SDR even with current gen (I'm still on my LG CX, will reach 10k hours this year I think), and I'm using a low OLED light setting. It's perfect like that for comfort and long term use.

Of course I wouldn't mind having a bit more for HDR highlights but I'm still consuming way more SDR than HDR content so it's not that important to me right now.

Or as someone said, just hit the Win key. Personally 99% of the time my approach to launching software is to hit a button that opens Powertoys Run, type a few letters of the app name and hit enter. I have even considered looking into replacing the taskbar with some 3rd party solution to get more use out of it.

You are not obligated to do anything, but if you want to avoid burn-in it's a good measure to take when most of the time the taskbar is what's burned on people's displays.IMO that's a very small inconvenience when you get some desktop space in return.

I just really, really hate "YouTube personalities".
Now this we can agree on very strongly! I can't stand how the world of reviews (not just in tech) has become about ridiculous personality and ad/sponsor revenue. I avoid YouTube where possible and prioritise things I can read.

Now this we can agree on very strongly! I can't stand how the world of reviews (not just in tech) has become about ridiculous personality and ad/sponsor revenue. I avoid YouTube where possible and prioritise things I can read.
Ad revenue is the name of the game if you do it for a living so I can put up with that. I just don't like people playing these "yelling all the time", "I tALk liKE thIS" or "faux angry" personalities on video. Or if they are like this in the real world then it must be exhausting to be around them.

You can just press the Windows key on your keyboard instead to show the task bar. I don't use an OLED, but I hide the task bar to get more vertical space. It's not too bad once you get used to it, but I agree that it's not ideal.
Ya I already do that a lot. But it's nice to use the taskbar also. It's quicker to quick launch rather than type in the windows search bar for your most often used apps etc. Plus turning off and on apps on the bottom right, taskbar. Plus the time and date, taskbar. Taskbar is a convenience, pressing an additional button is an inconvenience as small of an inconvenience it is, it is still an additional step lol.

if you want to avoid burn-in it's a good measure to take when most of the time the taskbar is what's burned on people's displays.IMO that's a very small inconvenience when you get some desktop space in return.

There is no avoiding burn-in. It's something that will happen over time no matter what you do. The idea is to mitigate it as much as you're comfortable with.

After running Windows HDR Calibration, it's super vibrant and the highlights are bright enough to make me flinch.
Windows HDR Calibration is not exactly a calibration.

It just shrinks the brightness of the image to match the monitor. It won't calibrate anything about how input 1000nits equals output 1000nits.

Real HDR monitors doesn't need that Windows HDR Calibration as it is factory calibrated on the firmware and you won't be able to calibrate HDR to match the actual brightness on a consumer display.

Why?
  • Motion responsiveness unmatched by other tech
  • Black levels unmatched -> gives incredible depth
  • Incredible HDR, it is not always about brightness but dynamic range from black to white without the glow
My biggest issue:
  • Makes all my other monitors/TVs look like shit :(
    • Maybe a little exaggeration there but you definitely know your not on an OLED when using it from smudgy motion, faded depth etc.
How do I minimize burn in? Have not have used my 42" LG OLED that long to really know or experience burn in.
  • Black background -> this has always been my preferred background for decades lol
  • Hide icons, new for me, wish there was a shortcut key for this
  • Hide taskbar -> nothing new for me here, always did this for the most part for the screen space
  • Normally use a two monitor setup for main rig, so second monitor can have the more static items for work related task as need be
    • As a note, have not done this yet since the OLED makes the other monitor not look so good but I see me doing that anyways
    • You can put your Icons on the 2nd non OLED display, even your taskbar open (don't really know why one would want the taskbar always open but that is just me)
  • Brightness I use at 80, have not disabled any of the built in protection mechanisms even though I have the service remote, just have not seen the need to

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Lol what did y
I also had the C2 42" for 2 days lol. FWIW I think you can turn off the auto dimming.
What did exchange it for? Also why did you return it?

Also you can't turn off ABL it's built into it. I think you can adjust it a little bit but it is in place to disallow you from burning the pixels to prematurely, even if it's inevitable lol.

Why?
  • Motion responsiveness unmatched by other tech
  • Black levels unmatched -> gives incredible depth
  • Incredible HDR, it is not always about brightness but dynamic range from black to white without the glow
My biggest issue:
  • Makes all my other monitors/TVs look like shit :(
    • Maybe a little exaggeration there but you definitely know your not on an OLED when using it from smudgy motion, faded depth etc.
How do I minimize burn in? Have not have used my 42" LG OLED that long to really know or experience burn in.
  • Black background -> this has always been my preferred background for decades lol
  • Hide icons, new for me, wish there was a shortcut key for this
  • Hide taskbar -> nothing new for me here, always did this for the most part for the screen space
  • Normally use a two monitor setup for main rig, so second monitor can have the more static items for work related task as need be
    • As a note, have not done this yet since the OLED makes the other monitor not look so good but I see me doing that anyways
    • You can put your Icons on the 2nd non OLED display, even your taskbar open (don't really know why one would want the taskbar always open but that is just me)
  • Brightness I use at 80, have not disabled any of the built in protection mechanisms even though I have the service remote, just have not seen the need to
If you're a pretty hardcore gamer and sink thousands of hours into games over the years oled will absolutely burn in the hud because you want and need to see the hud in most games which is normal and necessary most of the time if not almost all the time. So for the real gamers out there taking desktop measures to prevent burn in is futile. Gaming will roast the huds pixels and very badly.

Ive been using my Alienware AW3423DW for 9 months now with no signs of burn-in. Brightness is 50%(can't imagine why anyone would want to use more than that).

I treat it as a normal monitor, and use it probably 10-12 hours a day. I do not hide my taskbar. The only concession I've made to it being OLED is reducing sleep time from 1 hour with an LCD to 10 minutes. And that's mainly so that the pixel refresh gets more opportunities to run, since it only takes a few minutes.

To me, ~$1000 is very cheap for a monitor of this quality level and I have no problems replacing it in 3 or 4 years if need be. Probably will want something better by then anyway.

Hot take: An OLED monitor with burn-in on the panel would *still* be a better looking monitor than any IPS LCD, and it's not even close. IPS glow is far, far more distracting and visible in more scenes than taskbar burn-in.
OLED is a paradox.

I still remember how disappointing it is to compare AW3423DW with an actual HDR monitor like PG35VQ from 4 years ago.

Even in a night scene, AW3423DW can be hit by ABL. It's less than a HDR 400 monitor. 2% brightness window is not enough. There is no 10bit color without brightness.

PG35VQ HDR vs AW3423DW HDR
52142272135_db68a66213_o_d.png

For me OLED barely makes a SDR monitor in PC use. Still, SDR doesn't look as good with only 200nits DCI-P3 colorspace. While the caliber of easy 400nits Adobe SDR from a true HDR monitor can even beat AW3423DW ABL HDR

PG35VQ SDR vs AW3423DW HDR
52159156749_5198a10405_o_d.png

Then if OLED gets a little brighter, its unsolvable low-frequency flickers just gives eye strain. It's impossible to see beyond 200nits on OLED to see true HDR.

Last edited:
OLED is a paradox.

I still remember how disappointing it is to compare AW3423DW with an actual HDR monitor like PG35VQ from 4 years ago.

Even in a night scene, AW3423DW can still be hit by ABL. It's less than a HDR 400 monitor. 2% brightness window is not enough. There is no 10bit color without brightness.

PG35VQ HDR vs AW3423DW HDR
View attachment 547660

For me OLED barely makes a SDR monitor in PC use. Still, SDR doesn't look as good. While the easy 400nits SDR of a true HDR monitor can even beat AW3423DW ABL HDR

PG35VQ SDR vs AW3423DW HDR
View attachment 547661

Then if OLED gets a little brighter, it unsolvable low-frequency flickers harder to give eye strain. It's just impossible to see beyond 200nits on OLED to see true HDR.

I say if you see that kind of flicker -> time to RMA. I have no observable flicker, no eye strain even if putting in over 12 hours on the display. I guess some folks are indeed different and need to get what works for them.

People can compare for themselves on any good display store that has a good darken room setup. I do agree if your environment is going to be very bright and your monitor has to compete with a very bright room, then OLED maybe not the best choice but even in a bright room I don't see that much issue with the OLED. Just no comparison in a dark room between OLED and anything else I've seen. I game in the dark mostly and OLED can't be matched by any other tech I've seen so far. As for HDR, OLED for me wins in a natural look, no ghosting, very clean, remarkable dynamic range from black to white. Why do folks think HDR is just about how bright something gets - that is not what it means, it means from the dark corners you can still see details and also when bright you can still see details. My Sony TV can get pretty bright but from the ghosting etc. it just does not compare to what the C2 delivers in HDR, especially in the darks that will be totally absent but present with the OLED.

Lol what did y

What did exchange it for? Also why did you return it?

Also you can't turn off ABL it's built into it. I think you can adjust it a little bit but it is in place to disallow you from burning the pixels to prematurely, even if it's inevitable lol.
I didn't exchange it, just returned it and went back to my old TN. I didn't like the text quality. But the biggest issue was its too big for competive gaming at least FPS games for me. the lower refresh rate was noticable compared to my 144hz monitor. I think the size amplified me noticing it. I sat 35" away. The auto dimming was super annoying. I'm like, wasn't this thing brighter a minute ago the first time it happened. I never bothered to change it cause I knew I wasn't going to keep it. I'm lucky I didn't get charged a restocking fee from the ebay store.

I didn't exchange it, just returned it and went back to my old TN. I didn't like the text quality. But the biggest issue was its too big for competive gaming at least FPS games for me. the lower refresh rate was noticable compared to my 144hz monitor. I think the size amplified me noticing it. I sat 35" away. The auto dimming was super annoying. I'm like, wasn't this thing brighter a minute ago the first time it happened. I never bothered to change it cause I knew I wasn't going to keep it. I'm lucky I didn't get charged a restocking fee from the ebay store.
You would have gotten used to it. I play on a 50" and the 42 felt small for me. Once you get used to the immersion anything else feels small. Just like you got used to 144 the 120 feels slow. Same thing. Which I agree with I went from 165 to 120 and it was pretty bad. 144 as a minimum acceptable. Contrary to popular belief, the larger screen allows you to see enemies easier. Easier to headshot. Their head is physically larger so you can line up your cross hair easier. I no doubt would outperform my own self playing on the 50 compared to my old 32 where the enemies are the size of ants lol 😂 you can't hit what you could barely see. That's why competitive gamers lower the resolution scale sometimes so the enemy head gets larger.

There's an increase of OLEDs being used for PC use (whether it be an OLED TV or the ever increasing availability of OLED monitors). But isn't burn-in a concern? Those using LG OLED TVs as PC monitors, have you experienced burn-in? Do you do anything "special" to prevent burn-in or just use it as it was any other monitor?
I suspect the burn-in concern is just FUD from competitors, or sometimes industry influencers (aka shills) trying to sell you on a different TV or newer OLED. People have been using OLEDs for half a decade for PCs and only in cases of complete negligence does burn-in become an issue. As someone who closely follows the owner's threads on AVSForum, I'm not aware of anyone running into burn-in who wasn't already aware of it beforehand and took precautions to prevent it from happening.

OLED isn't without its flaws. Having to worry about brightness management isn't something everyone is comfortable with. For me it's not something I have to think all that hard about, because who wants to stare at a blazingly-bright screen when reading text in a browser?

I suspect the burn-in concern is just FUD from competitors, or sometimes industry influencers (aka shills) trying to sell you on a different TV or newer OLED. People have been using OLEDs for half a decade for PCs and only in cases of complete negligence does burn-in become an issue. As someone who closely follows the owner's threads on AVSForum, I'm not aware of anyone running into burn-in who wasn't already aware of it beforehand and took precautions to prevent it from happening.

OLED isn't without its flaws. Having to worry about brightness management isn't something everyone is comfortable with. For me it's not something I have to think all that hard about, because who wants to stare at a blazingly-bright screen when reading text in a browser?
Most people are too embarrassed to admit it even though they were warned. I could understand that. Only a fraction of the burned screen owners share it with the public on the internet. Half a decade? Lol more like half a year. If you play games like any hardcore gamer your HUD will burn in 100%. If you play on minimum brightness and the screen is dim you can mitigate it but yeah minimum brightness dim display lol.

I say if you see that kind of flicker -> time to RMA. I have no observable flicker, no eye strain even if putting in over 12 hours on the display. I guess some folks are indeed different and need to get what works for them.

People can compare for themselves on any good display store that has a good darken room setup. I do agree if your environment is going to be very bright and your monitor has to compete with a very bright room, then OLED maybe not the best choice but even in a bright room I don't see that much issue with the OLED. Just no comparison in a dark room between OLED and anything else I've seen. I game in the dark mostly and OLED can't be matched by any other tech I've seen so far. As for HDR, OLED for me wins in a natural look, no ghosting, very clean, remarkable dynamic range from black to white. Why do folks think HDR is just about how bright something gets - that is not what it means, it means from the dark corners you can still see details and also when bright you can still see details. My Sony TV can get pretty bright but from the ghosting etc. it just does not compare to what the C2 delivers in HDR, especially in the darks that will be totally absent but present with the OLED.
In order to view HDR, the ambient light is always dim enough for sleep.

The first misconception is brighter imagers need to be in a brighter room. Any HDR images needs to be displayed in a dark room.

The flicker is not visible. But it is always there on any OLED all the way to latest 240Hz OLED.

You will have eye strain easily If you keep seeing above 200nits images with flickers while this is not a problem on a DC dimming monitor. This 240Hz OLED is not bright, once it gets a little brighter it will have eye strain.
803475_OLED-Flickering_1.gif

The second misconception is HDR is only about contrast. HDR is about both contrast and color. There is no color without brightness when thousands of shades of color is cramped under 200nits.

This is why there are FALD LCD with the color, brightness, moderate contrast, moderate response time while OLED has the contrast, response time, flickering, inadequate brightness and inadequate color.

Last edited:
You would have gotten used to it. I play on a 50" and the 42 felt small for me. Once you get used to the immersion anything else feels small. Just like you got used to 144 the 120 feels slow. Same thing. Which I agree with I went from 165 to 120 and it was pretty bad. 144 as a minimum acceptable. Contrary to popular belief, the larger screen allows you to see enemies easier. Easier to headshot. Their head is physically larger so you can line up your cross hair easier. I no doubt would outperform my own self playing on the 50 compared to my old 32 where the enemies are the size of ants lol 😂 you can't hit what you could barely see. That's why competitive gamers lower the resolution scale sometimes so the enemy head gets larger.
Going back to my 27" felt pretty small and I only used the 42" for 2 days. I probably would have kept the 42" if it had a higher refresh rate. then maybe gotten a desk arm and moved it further away and turned scaling to 125%. I think mini led IPS probably the way to go though. close enough to oled and no risk of burn in.

Most people are too embarrassed to admit it even though they were warned. I could understand that. Only a fraction of the burned screen owners share it with the public on the internet. Half a decade? Lol more like half a year. If you play games like any hardcore gamer your HUD will burn in 100%. If you play on minimum brightness and the screen is dim you can mitigate it but yeah minimum brightness dim display lol.
I don't have to speculate because I can speak from experience. I've owned three different OLED televisions for PC-use and gaming, beginning 5 years ago. I'm not breaking any new frontiers but rather simply followed what the owners said versus random clickbait articles on the internet about burn-in. On that note, suggesting you have to use OLED on minimum brightness to play games sounds like you've really bought into the FUD. Over a dozen thousand hours of gaming on all the sets I've owned at max brightness, and not a single hint of burn-in (which is how I was able to resell my first couple OLED displays for a good price).

I'm not saying OLED is perfect, but I feel you're definitely misrepresenting the danger of burn-in or at the very least contradicts my experience as well as what I've observed from the owner's threads. I do feel OLED offers superior picture quality with the possibility of burn-in in-mind.

EDIT: After having read everything you've said in this thread, you sound completely hyperbolic and completely at odds which the average owner's experience. But hey, I suppose everyone has preferences. You sound like you're caught up in the brightness war, and it almost sounds like you actually think image quality is purely dependent on peak brightness.

Am I the only one to find this an extremely annoying compromise? I'm not using OLED anywhere but my phone but I've tried auto-hiding my taskbar before and just found the lack of what is basically the permanent HUD with valuable info on my desktop to be an anti-feature.
I wonder if I'm the only one who've always hid their taskbar? Never felt the need for a giant bar across the bottom of the screen taking up valuable screen space just to remind me of the programs that I already know are open. It's looks tacky.

Last edited:
I don't have to speculate because I can speak from experience. I've owned three different OLED televisions for PC-use and gaming, beginning 5 years ago. I'm not breaking any new frontiers but rather simply followed what the owners said versus random clickbait articles on the internet about burn-in. On that note, suggesting you have to use OLED on minimum brightness to play games sounds like you've really bought into the FUD. Over a dozen thousand hours of gaming on all the sets I've owned at max brightness, and not a single hint of burn-in (which is how I was able to resell my first couple OLED displays for a good price).

I'm not saying OLED is perfect, but I feel you're definitely misrepresenting the danger of burn-in or at the very least contradicts my experience as well as what I've observed from the owner's threads. I do feel OLED offers superior picture quality with the possibility of burn-in in-mind.

EDIT: After having read everything you've said in this thread, you sound completely hyperbolic and completely at odds which the average owner's experience. But hey, I suppose everyone has preferences. You sound like you're caught up in the brightness war, and it almost sounds like you actually think image quality is purely dependent on peak brightness.

I wonder if I'm the only one who've always hid their taskbar? Never felt the need for a giant bar across the bottom of the screen taking up valuable screen space just to remind me of the programs that I already know are open. It's looks tacky.
It's posts like this that make innocent consumers go out and buy a oled only to realize how dim it actually is for normal use and how quickly it actually ends up burning in and regretting their purchase. You can type whatever you want on public forums but I for one, simply don't believe you. Running max brightness (which is still very dim) will absolutely burn in oleds and this is a fact. I'm still waiting for rtings to put up their review of their newer 2nd massive burn in test (in which case the last test the oleds burned miserably and they themselves recommended against it for any type of static image content like news or channels with logos or games with huds.) Also I know all about image quality I've studied rting tests for years. I prefer mini led for the foreseeable future. If a new technology arrives that fits my liking I will go for it, until then it's mini led all the way.

It's posts like this that make innocent consumers go out and buy a oled only to realize how dim it actually is for normal use and how quickly it actually ends up burning in and regretting their purchase. You can type whatever you want on public forums but I for one, simply don't believe you. Running max brightness (which is still very dim) will absolutely burn in oleds and this is a fact. I'm still waiting for rtings to put up their review of their newer 2nd massive burn in test (in which case the last test the oleds burned miserably and they themselves recommended against it for any type of static image content like news or channels with logos or games with huds.) Also I know all about image quality I've studied rting tests for years. I prefer mini led for the foreseeable future. If a new technology arrives that fits my liking I will go for it, until then it's mini led all the way.
Clearly you haven't studied Rtings that much because Rtings themselves rated OLED televisions as the best gaming televisions (and monitors) you can buy on numerous occasions. The way you put it though, makes it sound like Rtings dunks on OLEDs. You're really misinformed IMO.

I've had two LG OLED TVs (C9 and CX) so far and neither has been burned in despite a lot of gaming and desktop work as well being done. I certainly have not run them at minimum brightness either. While I would still not recommend OLED if your intention is a 5-10 year lifespan, if you are like me and likely to replace it within say 3-5 years with the latest tech, you will experience no issues with modern OLEDs.

Displays using Samsung QD-OLED panels often come with 3 year burn in warranty too so even if burn-in does happen, just get it replaced.

I think the key takeaway is, there's no perfect technology here. If you like MiniLED for its pros over its cons, great! If you like OLED for its pros over its cons, great! Just realize there ARE a lot of factors and there's not a one-fit solution for everyone. There really isn't a right or wrong here, which I feel like some people like to pretend. Also, I don't think it does a service to anyone to discredit one person's experience. I believe people who have gotten burn-in - I have myself back with a TV in 2015-2016, which is why I didn't give OLED another try until now, so I know it's real and concerning. But I also believe people who've been using OLED panels for years and aren't experiencing it.

~$4K worth of IPS FALD, one of which was a very well-reviewed miniLED monitor along with an edge-lit IPS, just made their way back to Amazon, and I went for my first OLED display in a long time because I was so disappointed by the miniLED tech for my uses. I'm thrilled with this LG OLED. It's plenty bright enough for my uses/room, and for me the blooming and all the issues with the miniLED model far, far outweighed anything in terms of drawbacks I've experienced with this OLED.

Now, could I get burn-in down the line? Sure. But I feel like it's time for me to give the tech another chance and see with basic precautions how well it does. (Brightness won't be reduced, as I like a bright picture...but I have no problem with hiding certain things or putting it in power save after a few minutes of inactivity). I'm also not going to actively look for burn-in, just as I wouldn't actively look for dead pixels (except when one is brand new as an initial quick screening). Even if I do start to notice it a year down the line, I can more easily swallow having to upgrade again sooner than expected at this price than being unhappy with something for 2-3X. Right now, I'm thrilled with the performance of this display for the price, and compared to the other technologies I've tried, it fits my needs better. But I can completely see where miniLED might fit yours better. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

OLED won't get burnt if it just keeps the brightness low.

Claiming the burning resistance of OLED only reveals it shows 100nits average or even lower.

But if you want to see better images of higher range HDR1000+ and stay at it all the time, you need the FALD LCD.

OLED can be fine for gaming and videos if you don't care that much about the brightness (it does have other advantages.) However, the lousy text rendering quality rules it out for me.

Even on my gaming setup, I don't just game, and since even for gaming, OLED has pros and cons, I prefer to use the XG321UG LCD on that setup. For my work setup, OLED is clearly not a good choice, and I use the LG 40WP95C which is awesome for that - among the best monitors in text clarity.

OLED can be fine for gaming and videos if you don't care that much about the brightness (it does have other advantages.) However, the lousy text rendering quality rules it out for me.

Even on my gaming setup, I don't just game, and since even for gaming, OLED has pros and cons, I prefer to use the XG321UG LCD on that setup. For my work setup, OLED is clearly not a good choice, and I use the LG 40WP95C which is awesome for that - among the best monitors in text clarity.
It's always pick your poison. The 40WP95C is really expensive for a 60 Hz, no HDR display just by having a 5120x2160 res. The form factor is great tho.

I don't have an interest in the 2560x1440, 3440x1440 or 5120x1440 OLEDs because of the text rendering issues, but have found 4K + DPI scaling + enough viewing distance to work well for LG OLEDs, enough to not be an issue for me.

It's always pick your poison. The 40WP95C is really expensive for a 60 Hz, no HDR display just by having a 5120x2160 res. The form factor is great tho.

I don't have an interest in the 2560x1440, 3440x1440 or 5120x1440 OLEDs because of the text rendering issues, but have found 4K + DPI scaling + enough viewing distance to work well for LG OLEDs, enough to not be an issue for me.
It's 72Hz, and it has VRR and HDR (although not enough brightness for HDR). I don't use it with HDR content. I use my gaming setup for that. The 40WP95C is a gem - the right size, the right resolution/PPI, proper RGB pixels, works very well with ClearType and displays very crisp and clear text. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a productivity monitor.

It is unfortunate that there isn't a monitor that can do both well, so you basically need two setups right now if you want the best of both worlds (gaming/HDR and productivity). I'm very curious to see the upcoming 57" 7680x2160 HDR 240Hz Samsung.

It is unfortunate that there isn't a monitor that can do both well, so you basically need two setups right now if you want the best of both worlds (gaming/HDR and productivity). I'm very curious to see the upcoming 57" 7680x2160 HDR 240Hz Samsung.
Yeah the Samsung 57" is pretty much the only thing I'm interested in getting. Should be great for desktop use and hopefully good enough for ultrawide gaming too with decent HDR performance. I posted some RTX 4090 benchmarks in the Samsung 57" thread here by running my two 4K displays in Nvidia Surround. It seems totally viable.

Back