Why NOT to get the 2405fpw

Shamann said:
Isn't there a 21 day 100% refund/total satisfaction gaurantee on Dell Monitors?

I'll find out soon enough and post the results. I should be getting a new 2001fp tomorrow or maybe after tomorrow. Mine has a bit of backlighting on the left side....not bad but I wanted to try one more anyway to see if I had better luck. I might end up shipping the replacement back if there are stuck pixels (the one I have now doesn't have any) or worse backlighting. I ordered the replacement less than three weeks after my initial purchase. In any case I'll keep one or the other. I don't think it will cost me a dime either in shipping costs or restocking....but I can't seem to get a definitive answer by reading Dell's message boards.

Mozmo,

I did some checking on HL2 and triplebuffering. You are right!!! That helps so much it's incredible!!!!

It gave me a 50% boost in frames in some scenes. I'm running 2XAA and 8XAF with VSYNC on. I couldn't take the tearing.

Well, the program from here: http://www.nonatainment.de/portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=7&tabid=19 is in BETA. But, it lets you setup HL2 and use triplebuffering.

I simply downloaded the program, setup a "Program" called HL2. Set the correct path to point to HL2.exe. <Steam needs to be running.>

Then, activate "Present changer" plugin set the backbuffer "Count" to 2 for triplebuffering. The rest you can leave at application or empty.

Sweet mamma!!! :) :) :) :)

Dim-Ize

Dim-Ize said:
Riptide,

I don't think overdrive is available in the standard control panel, only in the CATALYST Control Center, CCC.
Just checked my control panel and it does show up. I'm using the standard CPL. Btw, I agree ATI Tool rox and I would use that to o/c with way before I'd bother with overdrive.

Dim-Ize said:
Mozmo,

I did some checking on HL2 and triplebuffering. You are right!!! That helps so much it's incredible!!!!

It gave me a 50% boost in frames in some scenes. I'm running 2XAA and 8XAF with VSYNC on. I couldn't take the tearing.

Well, the program from here: http://www.nonatainment.de/portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=7&tabid=19 is in BETA. But, it lets you setup HL2 and use triplebuffering.

I simply downloaded the program, setup a "Program" called HL2. Set the correct path to point to HL2.exe. <Steam needs to be running.>

Then, activate "Present changer" plugin set the backbuffer "Count" to 2 for triplebuffering. The rest you can leave at application or empty.

Sweet mamma!!! :) :) :) :)

Dim-Ize

where did you extract the files from the above tweaker?

I extracted them to my c:\ drive but the program wont start up. I keep on getting the following message:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application."

any ideas as to where I messed up?

ozziegn said:
where did you extract the files from the above tweaker?

I extracted them to my c:\ drive but the program wont start up. I keep on getting the following message:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application."

any ideas as to where I messed up?

Ozziegn, you will need the .net framework 1.1 to get this application to work.

Dim-Ize

After much time invested working through drivers, tweaks, hacks, and optimizations - I've finally found the setup which works best for me in games.

In the spirit of this thread, and from comments already made, I believe the ONLY reason not to buy this display is if you are a very serious gamer.

It is my humble opinion, that this display, while limited to 60 Hz, cannot compete with HQ CRT's when it comes to hard-core, fast-paced, first person shooters.

The options are limiting yourself to 60 FPS with VSYNC and triplebuffering or dealing with tearing. If you sit around and snipe, this is no biggie. But, if you are competing in deathmatch, TDM, or CTF types of games, performance is critical. Getting 85 FPS is a significant difference.

Overall, however, I'm keeping the display. Even though I have considered myself a hard core gamer, I think this display has many more positives than negatives. Gaming is below perfect for me in UT2K4, but excellent in HL2 single player. I haven't tried much HL2 MP or CSS.

Again, I cannot think of any reason other than a very hard core gamer not to go with this display (assuming the $ isn't an issue). Even so, most hard-core gamers wouldn't be considering an LCD anyway. But, it would be much easier to tote to a LAN party (my next one is April 1st and I'm debating whether or not to take the CRT, the LCD or both LOL).

I've been pleased with zero tearing and 60 FPS with VSYNC, triple buffering, 2XAA and 8XAF in several games - it's just the very fast paced ones where this becomes a bit of a challenge for me personally.

If this display can handle more than 60 Hz at other rez's that may be a workaround. I will have to read the manual or specs, unless anyone of you have a quick answer.

Thanks,
Dim-Ize

Put your CRT back on your desk. Give me a server, date, and time (UT2004). Then we'll find out which is better.

;) :D

TheFury said:
reading glasses, not prescription glasses. reading glasses do the opposite of the glasses you're thinking of. they make things far away seem blurry, but stuff up close clearer without having to focus your eyes. and its not a matter of need, its only about lessening the amount of focusing your eye muscles have to do, which is a big part of eye strain. wearing plus lenses just keeps your eye muscles relaxed, instead of focused for so long staring at a monitory.

Yes my eye doctor calls them resting glasses. He says anyone who spends more than an hour a day in front of a display should consider a set of high quality reading glasses.

I did some comparisons with tripple buffer, vsync and using 60hz vs 85 refresh on ut2k4. The 60hz refresh actually to me played a bit better, ie the frame rate was pretty much locked on 60fps, where as the 85fps had little dips here and there, the dips creates lag which imo ruins your gameplay experience. My eyes couldn't notice any difference in smoothness but i could notice the judder/dropped frames when they happened. The only thing is couldn't play for long periods on a crt at 60hz, the flickering it too noticable and gives me headaches so I'd only play at 85 or up due to comfort factor and no putting my eyes through stress. Anyways i ordered my 2405 so it should be here in the next week or two, looking forward to it. :)

A lot of LCD's can do 70 or 75hz instead of only 60, this baby can't?

(if you can set it to 75hz then the tearing problem with v-sync off is solved in most cases)

Dell 2405 FPW has the best specs among all 23"+ LCD displays except its pix pitch(.27, which may not be an issue at all). Well, 2405 is an ugly SOB, but nonetheless, the Samsung panel used is truly a keeper considering the specs. Wait a tick though, Dell may very well mess it up this time again with connectivity issues such as banding via component reported so far by several users... yet again, the SOB is so freakin' CHEAP ... Look at all large format LCD displays(23"+) these days - Two models from HP (HP L2335 and HP F2304) are both exetremely unforturnate looking with generic IQ and higher price tag. The Apple 23" Cinema Display is a piece of art with fairly good IQ but expensive and cant be used for hardcore graphics due to color/backlighting issues. The Sony 23" is prettier than the HP but still cant compete with the Apple except its 100-200 dollars cheaper. The Samsung 243T is a very fine display except its plain jean looking, slower RT and high price tag. The BanQ one and the LG Flatron are both on par with the HP. After a long debate with myself, I chose the Apple over others. My point is if you dont like the new Dell, dont want to spend that much on an Apple either but still want a large LCD with good IQ, then you are out of luck. I am learning to love it and tempted to have it side by side with my Apple.

ImLazZzy said:
Well, 2405 is an ugly SOB, but nonetheless, the Samsung panel used is truly a keeper considering the specs.

are you on crack or what?

I think that the 2405FP is probably one of the best lookin' LCDs I've seen so far.

heck, its small border frame is the bomb when compared to other LCDs that have these ridiculous one inch (or bigger) screen borders.

ozziegn said:

I think that the 2405FP is probably one of the best lookin' LCDs I've seen so far.

heck, its small border frame is the bomb when compared to other LCDs that have these ridiculous one inch (or bigger) screen borders.

QFT :cool:

ozziegn said:

Hell yes i was ... even i was seeing two of everything flooooating around, i could still tell the Dell looks like a darn alien mutant compared to the Apple 23" Cinema. The ful frontal view is passable except those obtrusive buttons but when turning my head around it, its fat ass makes me throw up. And its profile looks as ungainly as a hunchback. It is "probably one of the best lookin' LCDs I've seen so far"? yeah right, it is probably the only one you've seen so far. :rolleyes: To sum it up, the Dell 2405FPW= excellent Samsung panel + crappy Dell design.

Make sure your moniter driver says Dell2405fpw(Digital)

It MUST say that digital part or you will get eyestrain.

Feel free to pay me by paypal when its fixed. :) Becase you gonna be happy as a mofo

I just love the screen! I Also own a lacie 22" CRT for graphics work but the 2405 even seems to have a much wider color range and much better contrast and sharpness! I dont know what crack people have been smoking that think it looks washed out but they might have to spend some time adjusting the settings. Love it, love it, love it!

I dont think it has washed out colors either. Most manufacterers will do some color and brightness boosting to stand out against other displays. Everyone does it so thats what people are used to. Now a LCD comes out thats very close to being color calibrated and everyone thinks its washed out.

Originally Posted by Shamann
Isn't there a 21 day 100% refund/total satisfaction gaurantee on Dell Monitors?

Greenwit said:
I'll find out soon enough and post the results. I should be getting a new 2001fp tomorrow or maybe after tomorrow. Mine has a bit of backlighting on the left side....not bad but I wanted to try one more anyway to see if I had better luck. I might end up shipping the replacement back if there are stuck pixels (the one I have now doesn't have any) or worse backlighting. I ordered the replacement less than three weeks after my initial purchase. In any case I'll keep one or the other. I don't think it will cost me a dime either in shipping costs or restocking....but I can't seem to get a definitive answer by reading Dell's message boards.

Got my replacement today..... included is a shipping label and directions to return the replaced unit. Contact Airborne (number included), arrange for pickup, attach supplied shipping label to box, and your done. Doesn't seem like it can be any easier. No mention of any cost to the customer (i.e., restocking fee).

BTW, looks like the replacement is an improvement....still a small bit of backlighting on the left but maybe I'm being too picky...not noticeable unless you look for it. And also, no bad pixels....that's the second unit with no bad pixels.

Greenwit said:
Got my replacement today..... included is a shipping label and directions to return the replaced unit. Contact Airborne (number included), arrange for pickup, attach supplied shipping label to box, and your done. Doesn't seem like it can be any easier. No mention of any cost to the customer (i.e., restocking fee).

BTW, looks like the replacement is an improvement....still a small bit of backlighting on the left but maybe I'm being too picky...not noticeable unless you look for it. And also, no bad pixels....that's the second unit with no bad pixels.

My 2001fp has a moving dead pixel!

Well it moved once, when I got it originally there was a dead pixel in the bottom right, which disappeared after a week or two, but another developed in the top left.

Odd.

I'm about to throw down for a 2405, my only complaint (before I even buy) is that I prefer the cylindrical pillar on the 2001fp.

That, and that it costs the equvalent of us$1700 over here...

For that money it better be perfect.

Back