Why no Vsync?

I dont use vsync because I CAN feel the difference between 60 an 150 FPS. And I hardly notice any tearing what so ever.
Not to mention the aforementioned input lag (albeit small) which does not help its case what so ever in my opinion.

same

I used to be good at 1.6, but since grabbing my 22" LCD (10-20ms signal lag?) and triple buffering, (30ms lag) (and in vancouver BC seattle is the closest major server area and it clocks in at at least another 40ms, cali is 70), I've become so bad at all those games I used to be so good at.

Same here! Ever since I bought myself an LCD monitor, I have literally sucked in all first-person shooters.

If it wasn't for the fact that I had a glass desk, I would be switching over to my CRT right about now. :/

Mouse lag is cool, makes me feel like I'm drunk without all the expense of booze!

I know personally I can't see/don't notice screen tearing. I usually try to max AA so much (I seem to notice even the slightest aliasing), that 100+ is never usually a reality. :(

I know personally I can't see/don't notice screen tearing. I usually try to max AA so much (I seem to notice even the slightest aliasing), that 100+ is never usually a reality. :(
that boggles my mind that you are bothered by a relatively small detail like aliasing but dont even notice the screen tearing. :confused:

every game is different so I just take it on a game by game basis.

every game is different so I just take it on a game by game basis.

Yeah, I find the tearing in Crysis horrible. Vsync helps me aim better because without it the tearing makes it harder to track smoothly. This is playing 25-40fps-ish.

I still dont get how some claim they cant see it. I can understand if it doesnt bother you but saying you dont even see it is hard to believe. I mean it seems you people notice nice graphics, AF, and AA so how do you not see the screen tearing right in front of you. some times its so bad that there are multiple tears and distortion going on especially in a scene with flickering lights. :confused:

I still dont get how some claim they cant see it. I can understand if it doesnt bother you but saying you dont even see it is hard to believe. I mean it seems you people notice nice graphics, AF, and AA so how do you not see the screen tearing right in front of you. some times its so bad that there are multiple tears and distortion going on especially in a scene with flickering lights. :confused:

Some of us run CRT's and don't suffer the drawbacks of LCD's...

Some of us run CRT's and don't suffer the drawbacks of LCD's...
nice try but my comment has nothing to do with LCDs. I am back to gaming on my CRT and it noticeably tears about the same as my LCD. in fact I never even owned an LCD until 5 months ago but I was still well aware of my screen tearing on the CRT. besides 99% of people use LCDs so I doubt those comments were from CRT owners in the first place.

depends on the game really, RTS types don't get as much 'noticeable' tearing since the back ground is often static. A single tank tearing is a lot less obnoxious than the whole screen tearing in half with FPS since you will pan a lot.

I see no tearing in CSS when Vsync is off. the only game I have played that tears is Planetside lol

I play games with vsync off for a multitude of reasons already given by other people in this thread. I have a PS/2 mouse (Logitech MX518) and have games installed on a 19" CRT and a 24" LCD (one of the best for gaming).
1. What I would like to know, and I can't seem to find much information on this, is if enabling triple buffering with vsync off is any advantage?

I'm using my best system below for most of my most recent installs of some of my games right now. I also recently heard that you have to install something special to enable triple buffering in D3D games with Nvidia control panel.
2. Do I still have to do this for UT2003/UT2004 even if they have a line in the D3D section in the INI file that enables triple buffering?:confused:

I don't get it when I see people post things like, "oh yeah I get around 125-160 fps."

Obviously they are running without Vsync to get those numbers which makes the game look terrible due to screen tearing. I know its nice to see big numbers flying, but why would you want to at the expense of screen tearing? I understand some of you play competitive online FPS games, which I don't blame you for turning it off. But for average single player....why not leave it on?

You are aware that v-sync adds input lag? Bad for multiplayer. That's one reason. Also some might take off v-sync just for benching purposes and enable back on during gameplay.

I play games with vsync off for a multitude of reasons already given by other people in this thread. I have a PS/2 mouse (Logitech MX518) and have games installed on a 19" CRT and a 24" LCD (one of the best for gaming).
1. What I would like to know, and I can't seem to find much information on this, is if enabling triple buffering with vsync off is any advantage?

Triple buffering can smooth out the transition of v-sync jumping back and forth from refresh rate multiples ie. 30 to 45 to 60. Instead you get a smoother 37 to 38 to 39 to 40 to 41 etc you get the point.

At least for me noticing a small line across the screen for an instant every once in awhile isn't that bad, and since i play most of my games without vsync I rarely notice it actively anymore, though as people have said some games are worse than others and if it happens often enough I turn it on. Aliasing on the other hand is a permanent effect on the scene. I guess I can dismiss tearing as a graphical glitch when it happens but when I see aliasing, I can't ignore it and see the scene the way it was supposed to look in my head.

Plus input lag gives me a headache.

At least for me noticing a small line across the screen for an instant every once in awhile isn't that bad, and since i play most of my games without vsync I rarely notice it actively anymore, though as people have said some games are worse than others and if it happens often enough I turn it on. Aliasing on the other hand is a permanent effect on the scene. I guess I can dismiss tearing as a graphical glitch when it happens but when I see aliasing, I can't ignore it and see the scene the way it was supposed to look in my head.

Plus input lag gives me a headache.
it depends on the game and even your monitor because in many instances its not a small line down the screen once in a awhile. sometimes the screen goes crazy and makes a lot of distortion especially when flickering lights are going on. I will never get how a faint jagged edge will bother someone yet a tree or other object split right in half isnt a problem. :confused:

Triple buffering can smooth out the transition of v-sync jumping back and forth from refresh rate multiples ie. 30 to 45 to 60. Instead you get a smoother 37 to 38 to 39 to 40 to 41 etc you get the point.

I know that but is there any advantage to enabling triple buffering with vsync OFF?

Vsync is always off with any FPS including Oblivion or Fallout 3, it's on with games like Wolverine, CoH Opposing Fronts, etc.

I'm pretty sure everyones complaints about screen tearing come from FPS's but for me the input lag is fucking stupid. It's almost to the point where I wonder if designers/programers actually sat down and used it when coming up with the idea.

Actually, I think high AA settings introduce more input lag than vsync in certain online games (Source games in particular). I keep vsync on in those games and set AA to 2X or turn it off (I don't notice many jaggies at 1920x1200 unless I get close to the screen). I also set fps_max 60 in Source games.

Someone who loves screen tearing with CS:S try turning off AA, enabling vsync, and typing fps_max 60 in the console. Then tell me if you still notice input lag. Unfortunately the world will no longer rip apart uncontrollably, but maybe you can get used to that.

Last edited:
OK, so since no one seems to mention this anywhere, I'm going to go out on a limb and say enabling triple buffering without vsync also enabled is pointless. Correct?:cornfused::eek:

Back