Why no mouse/KB on 360

John Gault

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
330
I cant controll my dude when I play any FPS's. Why does MS not let you hook up a keyboard and mouse?
 
I'm guessing they don't want to have to support other brands via drivers and whatnot, but you'd think they might at least support their own.
I guess they've repeatedly said they have no plans to do so, too.
 
I hope some one comes up with either a hack or mod for getting KB/mouse working.. I think that would push me over the edge to get a 360.
 
The people who play XBL would complain because mouse vs control pad would be uneven. That is my best guess. They sure as hell didn't allow it on the last Xbox because there were so many people saying that the Xbox was just another PC so why buy one. MS sure didn't want to promote the idea that infact the Xbox was a PC.
 
Keyboards are supported for some limited uses, such as text entry when creating a new account, or entering a 25 digit pre-paid code for a subscriptions, points, or downloads.
 
John Gault said:
I cant controll my dude when I play any FPS's. Why does MS not let you hook up a keyboard and mouse?

Because the 360 isn't a computer?
 
JethroXP said:
Because Daddy likes his steak tender!

one of the best answer i saw on this forum... not mean ... just perfect
 
then it just becomes a computer.

then peopel who use controllers cant compete with mouse keyboard users.
 
buzzard34 said:
Aren't we forgetting the SmartJoy FRAG? Granted its only for the original xbox right now but we may see a X360 version soon.

Why would you need an adapter when the Xbox360 already has standard USB ports up front? You can plug a standard USB keyboard into, and it does work, but only for certain functions, such as enter text for account creation and recovery, as well as when entering 25-digit codes.
 
JethroXP said:
Why would you need an adapter when the Xbox360 already has standard USB ports up front? You can plug a standard USB keyboard into, and it does work, but only for certain functions, such as enter text for account creation and recovery, as well as when entering 25-digit codes.
There is no driver support for a mouse. The SmartFrag thing just simulates a person's movements as if they were pushing the same direction on the joystick.
 
People without mouse and keyboard skills or the ability to use one effectively due to the placing of the console would cry when they're annihilated by someone using a mouse.
 
The Xbox is basically made of PC parts. If they help to complete the PC, people may start using it for email, web, and word-processing. This would cut into sales of Windows.
Really, if any of the consoles came from the factory running a nice Linux distro, it would cut into Windows sales.

I kinda wish Microsoft would offer Xbox as a piece of software for Windows. Most of the people on this board could build a bigger/better PC than the one that constitutes the Xbox. This isn't intended as a dig at Xbox, it's merely that people can build better than something that exists, because they have the will to do so.
 
Langford said:
The Xbox is basically made of PC parts. If they help to complete the PC, people may start using it for email, web, and wordprocessing. This would cut into sales of Windows.
Really ,if any of the consoles came from the factory running a nice Linux distro, it would cut into Windows sales.

I kinda wish Microsoft would offer Xbox as a piece of software for Windows. Most of the people on this board could build a bigger/better PC than the one that constitues the Xbox. This isn't intended as a dig at Xbox, it's mearly that people can build better than something that exists, becasue they have the will to do so.

That would ruin the entire advantage of a console. Haven't you ever wondered how a 733MHz powered P3 Xbox can produce graphics far more advanced than the same PC can run? It is because devs dont need to worry about writing code to run on 80 different graphics cards and CPUs. They can write hardware specific code and program to the machine to make it more efficient.

Also, I doubt that if you could browse the web and stuff on a 360 it would cut into windows sales much. When people go to buy a computer they aren't likely to say "Oh we can do the same thing on this video game system SCORE!" Most people will still opt for a PC, a small minority may forgoe a PC in favor of the console.
 
Erasmus354 said:
That would ruin the entire advantage of a console. Haven't you ever wondered how a 733MHz powered P3 Xbox can produce graphics far more advanced than the same PC can run? It is because devs dont need to worry about writing code to run on 80 different graphics cards and CPUs. They can write hardware specific code and program to the machine to make it more efficient.

Also, I doubt that if you could browse the web and stuff on a 360 it would cut into windows sales much. When people go to buy a computer they aren't likely to say "Oh we can do the same thing on this video game system SCORE!" Most people will still opt for a PC, a small minority may forgoe a PC in favor of the console.

I disagree. Many many people would rather have a single device. That is basically the roots of home personal compututers. The GPU is the main speed feature in the Xbox. You can put a Nvidia6800 agp-version in an old p3 box, and it will play many of the current games really well.
It was always within Microsofts power to push development on the PC; the Xbox is mostly an attempt to put Microsoft in charge of your TV. They crave a piece of the big money the entertainment industry gets. They want to be the centerpiece of the "wired home" that rich people always want to sell people on, and they believe the TV is the way to do it.
 
Keyboards ARE supported just no mice. This was done for one security issues, and 2 to keep online play equal.
 
I was thinking the same thing today as I was playing GRAW.

A guy was running past me and I couldnt track him fast enough with the joystick :(
 
[T5K]thrasher said:
Think Vista/DX10 ;) Thats all i can say with out the fear of job loss.
Well that would confirm a very old rumor that there would be a MediaPC / Xbox combo if it ever officially does come out.
 
Ironic that I won't be getting a revolution for its quirky games, its mario's or its zelda's etc. I'll be getting it for its FPS's!! Simply cant get used to console FPS joypad control. Roll on the Rev controller! :D
 
I love whenever people mention that MS doesn't want to just because people with a mouse would slaughter those without one. It's as though the FPS is the only genre on the planet. Personally I'll take a gamepad over a keyboard/mouse set-up in every other genre except an FPS. Just because mouse aiming is "so much better" in one style of game, people are somehow to assume it's some kind of almighty set-up.
Unless a game is text-heavy, I'll even take my "controller in the left hand and a mouse to aim" over a keyboard, too.
It's just a generic answer people like to give.
I also don't think that at super high levels there's that big of a gap, too. Watch some of the elite level Halo tournaments and I think you'd be hard pressed to find mouse players aiming any better or faster. Short of the slow turn-around speed, if you didn't know better I doubt you could tell the difference.
Anyway, I'm all for having mouse support, but don't kid yourself into thinking that you'd somehow be world Halo champion if you only had a mouse.
I personally think it would just attract more PC games, which is a niche MS should be likely going after.
 
[T5K]thrasher said:
Think Vista/DX10 ;) Thats all i can say with out the fear of job loss.

I wouldnt hold your breath expecting things from vista, as most every feature has now been removed.

Back on topic though, it really gets on my nerves when people complain about playing an fps with a controller...did they not tell you when you bought the game this would be the case? It seems like a lot of hardcore pc junkies just think "well i could beat him with a mouse." Who cares? Everyone is playing under the same conditions, he's just better at the game than you. For all you know, he might spank you harder if you had a mouse.
 
The 360 is really just a game console; but, MS' marketing strategy was to describe it as a pc for the living room.
I think its kind of ironic... sure, its a Media Extender...but what use is it if I can't browse the web on it or use a keyboard? I'm better off just hooking up my PC to my TV and Stereo.
 
Back
Top