Why no mounting holes on the MSI K7N2?

56k For Life

2[H]4U
I am looking to get the MSI K7N2 motherboard to replace in one of my comps but I am wondering why MSI has decided to remove the mounting holes around the CPU? Is this a new thing they are doing with all their motherboards? I've been out of the hardware loop for awhile so I need someone to fill me in. Also, what is with the 4-pin 12 volt connector next to the 20-pin ATX connector? Is this a new thing motherboard manufacturers are doing now? What is it for?

The mobo doesn't oc very high at all, reducing the need for mounting holes (for some people anyways).

That 4 pin 12v connector (p4 connector) began to be employed by k7 mobo mfrs for voltage stability purposes. It feeds the cpu extra power and is usually necessary to employ (not always necessary btw).

SJetski71 said:
The mobo doesn't oc very high at all, reducing the need for mounting holes (for some people anyways).
wtf...what was MSI thinking? All my heatsinks are bolt-on so now I have to rule MSI out. Well back to Asus for me.

I added more info to the post above btw.

I think the 'K7N2 ILSR' may be a decent oc'er but i'm not sure and i certainly never hear anyone bragging about its oc capabilities

If you want insane Nforce2 overclocks then you'll have to go with the DFI 'Infinity' for >230/240fsb. The Abit NF7-S comes in second place at 220FSB~maybe 230FSB. The Asus A7N8X is good for an average of 200-210fsb.

SJetski71 said:
I added more info to the post above btw.

I think the 'K7N2 ILSR' may be a decent oc'er but i'm not sure and i certainly never hear anyone bragging about its oc capabilities
Oh I see. How come AMD Asus boards don't have 12v connectors then?

56k For Life said:
Oh I see. How come AMD Asus boards don't have 12v connectors then?
Not really sure, but they've probably applied a conventional, but stable setup that doesn't require it.

Added even more info to the posts above again btw...you reply too fast :D

SJetski71 said:
Not really sure, but they've probably applied a conventional, but stable setup that doesn't require it.

Added even more info to the posts above again btw...you reply too fast :D
lol :p Well I won't be doing any overclocking because this system is an HTPC and it will be watercooled. I think I will go with the A7N8X-E because I've used the original A7N8X in the past and it always gave me good results.

Back