• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why no h60 or such for videocards?

FearTheCow

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
7,873
As the title says, someone mentioned this in another thread, and now I keep thinking about it. What would be the pro's and con's of such a system?
 
i would image due to the myriad of different gpu and vram configurations/locations it would be fairly difficult to mass produce models for every variance out there.

also, consumer dissatisfaction would go up for the company due to the number of failed installs/voided warranties. you can bork a cpu cooler install and likely get an RMA - not so likely with a video card.
 
Take a look at this: http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php/en/omni.html

Universal closed loop liquid cooling for video cards and all you need to buy is what they call Interposer plates which are specific for each video card. When a new card is released all you need to buy is a new Interposer plate for the new GPU and you keep reusing the same cooling loop. Clean, simple, brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj1YbaHtivw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrKKoQfB5JQ

The bad news is CoolIT will not be bringing this (nor any of their future products) to market because they have a partnership with Corsair and Corsair won't bring it to market because there's no real demand for it.

From their forums:

will the omni support the ref 6970 anytime soon ?
CoolIT rep said:
lthough we appreciate your interest the Omni-R120-N6970, it will not be supported or released into the retail market from CoolIT Systems.
This is due to CoolIT Systems backing away from retail sales due to our partnership with Corsair.

I would suggest that you approach Corsair and question if they are planning to enter into the GPU liquid cooling products.That way Corsair would see there is a market for GPU cooling products.

and more,
I need to know if your will support GTX 590 "reference board" , If yes, when ?
CoolIT rep said:
Although we appreciate your interest the Omni-R120-N590, it will not be released into the retail market from CoolIT Systems.
This is due to CoolIT Systems backing away from retail sales due to the partnership with Corsair.

I would suggest that you approach Corsair and question if they are planning to enter into the GPU liquid cooling products.


P.S: I did some digging around and found this:

Omni for ~$120
http://www.pugetsystems.com/store/item.php?cat=Additional+Cooling&id=7326&com=d41d8cd9

Interposer plate for GTX590 ~$110
http://www.pugetsystems.com/store/item.php?cat=Additional+Cooling&id=7600&com=d41d8cd9

Interposer plate for GTX480/580 ~$60
http://www.pugetsystems.com/store/item.php?cat=Additional+Cooling&id=7327&com=d41d8cd9

So if you are an Nvidia user you are in luck.
 
Last edited:
yea I want something like that for my 6950

its crazy to think theres no demand for it, just look how many people water cool their gpu's

I feel there's more demand for a water cooled gpu cooler then there is for a cpu cooler. I was thinking of getting one for my cpu but when I look at my temps with my push pull setup i;m like, why the hell would I spend money for nothing. gpu on the other hand. I could see how it would make it way cooler.
 
Huh? Why did CoolIT partner with Corsair? What does this mean? They do engineering and OEM work for Corsair maybe? Corsair gives them a bag of money not to make competing watercooling products? What's going on?

I did notice CoolIT products disappearing from stores, even when CoolIT's head office is in my own city.
 
yea I want something like that for my 6950

its crazy to think theres no demand for it, just look how many people water cool their gpu's

I feel there's more demand for a water cooled gpu cooler then there is for a cpu cooler. I was thinking of getting one for my cpu but when I look at my temps with my push pull setup i;m like, why the hell would I spend money for nothing. gpu on the other hand. I could see how it would make it way cooler.

Get started sending those emails asking Corsair about it, I've been doing it for a few months now.
 
Too many possible physical issues. The obvious one is constantly changing mounting hole positions around the GPU die. Another little unknown issue, is the physical die packaging itself. On the rest of the card, how will the memory and VRM be cooled? Use small heatsinks?

An idea could be using some short of card adapter plate, it would attach to the card, and the cooling system would then mount to the plate.

Even with this, I think its still not viable. A real water block would still be better.
 
Huh? Why did CoolIT partner with Corsair? What does this mean? They do engineering and OEM work for Corsair maybe? Corsair gives them a bag of money not to make competing watercooling products? What's going on?

I did notice CoolIT products disappearing from stores, even when CoolIT's head office is in my own city.

My understanding is that CoolIT will produce the components but Corsair will control the customer facing sales side. Corsair has the control in that theycan tell CoolIT what they want to sell and CoolIT will make it. I don't think this is a great move for CoolIT.
 
My understanding is that CoolIT will produce the components but Corsair will control the customer facing sales side. Corsair has the control in that theycan tell CoolIT what they want to sell and CoolIT will make it. I don't think this is a great move for CoolIT.

Well CoolIT was a much smaller, a tiny Canadian engineering company without the worldwide marketing or distribution power of Corsair.
 
Back
Top