Why no Atom HTPC boards?

AirCool

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a cheap board for my build to reuse a small case. I am looking to build a low-end HTPC. I see very little offerings for Atom boards. I only need onboard graphics and a spare PCIe-x1 for TV tuner. But the only one available seems to be the ION version. I can live with Intel CPU but none of them offers HDMI or even DVI. Why is that?

Because there is hardly any reason to go ATOM/ION now that zacate is on the scene.....

What kind of Atom CPU did you want? Whats wrong with ION? Quite a few have DVI, HDMI & PCIe x1 (x4 electrically). I bought a completely silent Asus AT5IONT-I. Alternatively these ION/Atom boards Zotac NM10-E-E, Zotac NM10-F-E, Zotac NM10-B-E, Zotac IONITX-G-E, Point of View ION-MB330, Zotac IONITX-F-E, Asus AT3IONT-I DELUXE & Zotac IONITX-P-E all have PCIe, DVI & HDMI. A few of these boards have the D525 (most powerful Atom currently available)

Because Atom is very weak and when coupled with Intel's IGP for it just makes it a completely crappy offering. If you want to waste your money on an Atom for an HTPC then you need to get an Ion board.

But that's just wasteful spending when you compare it too AMD's new Zacate boards. Get that instead.

Agreed, go Zacate and don't look back. No reason to do Atom anything at this point

How much do you need to spend for a good zacate board?

Zacate is a much better option these days. The only place it loses to ION is hardware acceleration under Linux.

ZOTAC IONITX-F-E NVIDIA ION
Nvidia ION Geforce 9400M: VGA/DVI/HDMI 1.3 Out

What intel igp?

It costs $160. That's the problem. I could almost get a Core-i3 combo for that price.

Looks like AMD is really better this time. I was hoping a build a basic Intel system. But clearly Intel has been fast asleep. There is simply no Atom MB with Intel IGP that supports HDMI.

Back