Why Microsoft Didn't Bring Windows Games To E3

The things that he is not admitting is that Microsoft has little stake in PC gaming. Sure, the home user is valuable to Microsoft, but that is the home user not the home gamer.

The only ways that Microsoft actually pulled in money from gaming is if they use something of Microsoft's beyond the OS. Sure they make money if you legitimately buy an OS, but for the first 10 years of my gaming career, I was using what was provided which was what my parents bought me. And they bought what they were familiar with, which is what the used at work. After that, I used what took the least amount of effort to use which was Windows. If I remember correctly most of my friends used either the same copy of Windows across all of their systems or they only used pirated copies. I always tried to keep at least one legit copy of Windows around. From my experience with Windows gaming, a lot of them are tech savvy enough to find cheaper alternatives to purchasing a copy of Windows for every system, but still be able to use Windows (even if not legally).

You tack that onto the fact that if a company makes a game, Microsoft does not make money off of it, unlike say the Xbox, where Microsoft makes money off of each game sold, and you know, it's not that hard to figure out. Plus Microsoft honestly has no control over any of the other companies content unless they can get some form of marketing deal going, so they really have no ability to demonstrate the games of someone else at E3. Which means Microsoft has better have a good first party lineup, but they save that for the console, which is a platform that they want to have adopted into everyone's house for market domination.

Plus Microsoft's history of supporting PC gaming has been complete and utter shite. When games for Windows Live came out they talked about how grand it was going to be, only it everyone hated it. It had bulky DRM, the market place was barren, steam controlled the market, anti-microsoft people wouldn't support it, transfering game saves was a pain, getting offline mode going was a pain (which was also the only real way to be able to transfer games), Microsoft did not even try to transfer their own games over (like the Gears of War series, or Halo) which would have been a big boost to it. All they have ever done for gaming is just a bunch of lip service. They did not even have the decency to use a breath freshener.

But in general Microsoft has always been disingenuous when it comes to PC gaming, especially ever since they started working on the Xbox. Even that article was disingenuous, and I would much rather they shut up than talk about PC gaming.

I knew you'd be here. Keep on polishing that turd, heatless.

And this turd is still used by more people on PCs than everything else combined not called Windows. If one wants to see PC Linux gaming take off, Microsoft's worst Windows efforts can't constantly steam roll Linux and that inspire developers.

The problem with using steam hardware surveys is that it is largely for gaming. So while the numbers may look good and fancy for comparing the gaming market, it is not properly representative of the market.

First off, Steam has only been selling games for the Mac for around the last four years, and Linux for the last year and a half. While that is a great benefit to those who use steam and have those platforms, it is very likely that they are not as widely adopted across those platforms as they are on windows. Even amongst the gaming crowd, who are probably using alternative gaming sources.

Second, as of June 1st 2014, http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/01/windows-8-1-scoots-past-windows-8s-market-share/, OS X had a greater market share than either Win 8 or 8.1 (but less than both together). While I personally admit that Windows fragmentation among the same main version is better than a lot of other platforms, the industry has proven many times that it is not fond of market fragmentation. The biggest problem with market fragmentation is that they do have to support multiple platforms, which is going to be the largest market and maybe a few other choice markets. Which right now lies Windows 7 and Windows XP, and not with Windows 8.0 or 8.1. And if they wanted to broaden their market, not necessarily, they'd either go to a console, or go to Linux or Mac. Especially Linux with Steam supporting it and Valves, even though it is now delaying the controller, SteamOS.

Thirdly and lastly, this is as far as my measly brain can go, companies are always behind. So when it comes to trying to eliminate legacy components, and try to force companies to update, the companies will most likely stay behind until their is enough incentive to move forward. Like with DirectX 10, most of the development was still 9, because Windows XP had the largest market share. It was easier for their programmers to develop for due to familiarity, both on the OS side and the API side. Both of which allowed for faster push out with maximum benefit. A few games pushed DirectX 10, such as crysis, but that only provided a compare and contrast between the new and old. In the case of Civ 5, they took the smart route and went performance upgrades at first.

Personally, while it is not my favorite, I really don't care for Windows 8 or 8.1 on the desktop, I don't hate Windows "8.whatever". I just don't like it either.

Also, in more response to your badly worded last post. Linux never really had a power house to give it a voice. Now if steam can provide long term visibility for linux with SteamOS, developers will be inspired. What Windows had was Microsoft, and unfortunately for MS they have also burned companies with their poor attempts at things like GFWL, and pushing certain versions of Windows with certain versions of DirectX. Now with Linux largely being open source, and Steam providing support, guess what. Development costs are probably going to go down after they can do the ramp up, and steam will give them the exposure. Plus it will be far closer to the console gaming experience, broadening the market share. Something that MS has yet to properly do.

The biggest problem with market fragmentation is that they do have to support multiple platforms, which is going to be the largest market and maybe a few other choice markets. Which right now lies Windows 7 and Windows XP, and not with Windows 8.0 or 8.1.

At this point is there much of new consumer software market for XP? Sure there are a lot of XP machines around but I bet new consumer software purchases for 8.x are far greater.

And if they wanted to broaden their market, not necessarily, they'd either go to a console, or go to Linux or Mac. Especially Linux with Steam supporting it and Valves, even though it is now delaying the controller, SteamOS.

Thirdly and lastly, this is as far as my measly brain can go, companies are always behind. So when it comes to trying to eliminate legacy components, and try to force companies to update, the companies will most likely stay behind until their is enough incentive to move forward. Like with DirectX 10, most of the development was still 9, because Windows XP had the largest market share. It was easier for their programmers to develop for due to familiarity, both on the OS side and the API side. Both of which allowed for faster push out with maximum benefit. A few games pushed DirectX 10, such as crysis, but that only provided a compare and contrast between the new and old. In the case of Civ 5, they took the smart route and went performance upgrades at first.

Personally, while it is not my favorite, I really don't care for Windows 8 or 8.1 on the desktop, I don't hate Windows "8.whatever". I just don't like it either.

Also, in more response to your badly worded last post. Linux never really had a power house to give it a voice. Now if steam can provide long term visibility for linux with SteamOS, developers will be inspired. What Windows had was Microsoft, and unfortunately for MS they have also burned companies with their poor attempts at things like GFWL, and pushing certain versions of Windows with certain versions of DirectX. Now with Linux largely being open source, and Steam providing support, guess what. Development costs are probably going to go down after they can do the ramp up, and steam will give them the exposure. Plus it will be far closer to the console gaming experience, broadening the market share. Something that MS has yet to properly do.

How much of a voice is Valve giving Linux when 95% of Steam clients run Windows and the vast majority of the Steam library incompatible with Linux, including SteamOS at this time? And we still don't even have a Steam Box that will be coming out the same year as Windows 9.

The one and only meeting since I've been a MS MVP for GFW (see sig) was about how Microsoft is the best thing for PC gaming because: "Even though we discontinued Microsoft flight simulator X we're still selling it to customers......" Yeah that went over well with all the MS MVP for GFW flight simulator guys.

We have not had one GFW meeting, had two or three scheduled and then cancelled back in 2010/11 but that was it.

Wow, that's crazy.

Thanks for that info.

Back