Why me? Windows 7 & Server 2008 R2 bizarre issues.

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm working with two pairs of computers at work. They are new dell computers (one pair being some R320 servers and the other Optiplex XE desktops), freshly installed and configured.

On the servers, I go to click on the control panel and see that it is set to open as a menu, and on the other server, it is set to open as a link. I checked in the customize start menu properties box and both computers had the control panel set to "display as a menu". So on the computer that was displaying as a link, I changed the setting and changed it back and it worked correctly. Any ideas what could explain this other than just being a poorly coded OS?

On the Optiplex machines (Win 7 Pro 64bit), the same software was installed on each, with the same settings. The software automatically creates a desktop icon. On one computer the desktop icon has the UAC shield overlay and on the other computer it does not. Both computers are set to "never notify" in the UAC settings. Now I didn't personally install the software, and I know that the account that was used to originally install the software on one of the machines was renamed. The account does have admin priveldges. Could that cause the icon to not behave in the same way? Is there a way to get them to behave the same without uninstalling/reinstalling the software?

Thanks

I've seen wonky things like you have on the servers.
good example is the "trusted sites list" setting in local group policy; we have numerous machines where users cannot add their own sites to this list. Check local group policy, and everything is set to Not Configured. Yet, change it to Disable and apply, change it back to Not Configured and apply, and now the user can add sites to the list.

as for the desktops; is the shortcut with the UAC shield overlay configured to always run as administrator? Is that the only shortcut to the app with the overlay (ie, the Start Menu doesn't have one)

Neither one is set to run as admin. The start menu icon does have the shield just like the desktop icon on one computer but not the other. I've looked through all of the security permissions for the file and they seem identical as well.

Whenever we get new systems in at work the first thing I do is format them and create an image. I don't trust a dell configured image with bloat on it.

When we order a Dell business related machine, you would be surprised at the lack of bloatware. There was not a single piece of software that we needed to uninstall on this latest round of computers. Anyway, the issues seem to be OS and security related.

Back