Why isn't the single user SP2 out yet but the network version is?

just d/l and install the network version. It's aimed toward's someone that will host it on their own internal server and distribute from there. The "single user" version is the one they will be putting in Windows Update (from what I understand anyway).

I d/l the huge file and installed it no problems.

There are still bugs....the final has not shipped yet, there are quite a few outstanding issues with security and compatibility, so don't think that you're getting the final yet.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/18/sp2_xp_pro_delay/
Published Wednesday 18th August 2004 10:42 GMT
Microsoft has delayed the automatic distribution of a major upgrade to Windows XP Professional for at least another week.Microsoft has released a list of about 50 games and other packages that clash with Windows Firewall, which SP2 turns on by default. More seriously, it has released a list of 210 applications that "behave differently" after users install Win XP SP2. The list of applications with compatibility problems with Win XP SP2 includes games (e.g. Unreal Tournament), security packages (e.g. McAfee VirusScan 7) and even some flavours of Microsoft's own Office applications.

interesting. I thought this huge 270mb file WAS the final. I got it from M$ site and the page looked and read as if it were the final and even stated that it would be about 2 weeks until the sp2 was available on windows update.

is there a way to tell if it is the final or not then?

the firewall issue isn't one IMO. I don't even use it since I've got a seperate linux box that does a lot better job firewalling than M$'s one way firewall does. I've also had no issues with Mcafee VScan 7 or 7.1 either (we get it free due to the corporate license agreement at work)...or Office XP or 2003.

It was and is the final version. Anything this drastic of a change (implementing a firewall) will surely cause some problems in a small percentage of the billions of computers it will be installed on. Anyone who manages 5 or more computers can tell you that nothing is every 100% perfect.

HP is a big buddy / partner of Microsoft for things like this. The version that was released last week is the final. We've had it for a while before it was released to test and play with.

I downloaded the SP2 network install and I had no problems. I also made a Slipstream install of it which I tested out with VMware and it worked flawlessly. It seems good to me. If your internet connection isn't painfully slow go and download the full network install version. No problems.

To clear it up...the network install is the whole package. If you do the "express install", you'kk have to download the components each time, which will take much longer....especially from dial up. If your going to install it more than once, or on more than one machine, the best thing to do is download the full network install, and put it on a CD.

Yeah the express won't have the bloat that you don't need like the Tablet and Media center edition stuff, etc. But its always best to have the network one on CD for a quick reinstall if you have to.

Not to mention having th network SP1 saved me on multiple occasions when windowsupdate was down from blaster. And all the corporate installs warrant it for sanity of the WAN connection. SP2 is just a newer version of the same idea.

It is the final version, believe me. ;) The windows update version will not install components you don't have like, tablet, or media center, or starter, etc... ;)

Back