• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why is Windows getting corrupted when I overclock ?

Mixman

Gawd
Joined
Feb 23, 2004
Messages
671
When I push my overclocking a bit far I have to reinstall my Windows XP Pro every time because it gets corrupted beyond repair. I have an Intel 850E setup that I OC. I sometimes push it and get a BSOD, but yet I can just reboot the rig and I am ok. How come with my new setup when I get a BSOD, that's it, I have to totally reinstall ?

Is there something (besides not overclocking) that I can do to prevent this from happening again ? I must be on my fifth reinstall, since I built this new machine.
 
your harddrive is running out of stock specs since your pci bus or whatever might not lock, or dont since your files are getting corrupted. i think for now its just better to not OC until you have done some research on your board and how to overclock effectively
 
You know I have had the same problem about 4 or 5 times as well (reinstall). Have you tried upping the voltage on the cpu? what kind of ram are you using? I "somewhat" got a handle on things using "faster" ram. Are you using a SATA drive?


If you've tried everyting in the sticky (upped the voltage, mem to cpu ratio, htt etc) then I would say settle for a lower oc or none at all.
 
nemesis27 said:
You know I have had the same problem about 4 or 5 times as well (reinstall). Have you tried upping the voltage on the cpu? what kind of ram are you using? I "somewhat" got a handle on things using "faster" ram. Are you using a SATA drive?

Yes I have upped the voltage to the CPU. I am using a SATA drive....the 74 GB Raptor. As I said in my first post I have an Intel rig that constantly BSOD'ed when I OC'ed and I never had to reinstall Windows. I could always recover my install. I am begining to think this has something to do with the SATA drive. This is my first time using one of those.
 
I am leaning towards that as well as I have the same exact drive and since I have a had it I have had prob's with OC'ing, HOWEVER, I have only had problems with higher OC's (2.46+ on a 2.2) that are SATA related. Most of them seem to be AGP and RAM related which are caused by a lack of a lock. I always come back with a 0x0000007e or a 50 which is mem related. Try backing it down a little after tweaking your bios and run a bunch of windows apps, burn in, memtest, prime whatever.
 
some people think the drives are good up to a 220-30 fsb w/o problems well they aren't, not in my case anyhow and maybe yours as well. I get the problem anything over 215fsb. Hell I've got it a 210 before!
 
I can do 250FSB on my X2 3800. When I get to about 260 I get those errors. I wonder is there a way to lock these drives ?
 
First, figure out if it's your RAM or if it's your hard drive. It's more likely that it's your hard drive, but it's also possible that your RAM can't handle it. Run Memtest86, and see if that's the issue. If it is, lower the divider or lower your overclock. If it's the hard drive, then look for an AGP/PCI lock in your bios as suggested.
 
Memory causes it as well. I had an issue with my memory where I was getting memory dump errors and bsod in a few programs. It wasn't enough for me to suspect anything wrong up until it started happening more frequently... anyways I ran memtest had issues and finally fixed my memory issue but was still getting BSOD so I think just data corruption from faulty memory (or oc'ed memory) is enough to mess WinXP up permnently even after you stabilize or fix the issue. As Eclipse said in his OCing guide you should run memtest when you start OCing memory to make sure it's stable before you go into Windows.
 
Well I have wondered about the memory too. I just got two new sticks of OCZ Gold Series 3200 ram. I noticed that this happened just when I was just raising my FSB and even lowering the divider on my memory.
 
Talonz said:
First, figure out if it's your RAM or if it's your hard drive. It's more likely that it's your hard drive, but it's also possible that your RAM can't handle it. Run Memtest86, and see if that's the issue. If it is, lower the divider or lower your overclock. If it's the hard drive, then look for an AGP/PCI lock in your bios as suggested.

The boys have pretty much nailed this one. I had a similar problem last week going from a rock-stable northwood system to my new 3.0E that's running 3.6 on default volts. I couldn't figure out what the hell was goin on w/ all these system file corruptions inXP until I <doh> discovered the boards PCI lock defaults off on the Abit boards when u change the CPU. I can attest to the SATA Maxtor 300s not liking anything over 215 mhz FSB !

johnny mo
 
Back
Top