why is Windows 'burn image to disc' so awful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanM

[H]ard|Gawd
It's 2010, I'm using Windows 7, I've got decent quality Verbatim media, I'm thinking I can just burn an image to disc and it will be fine. What a total fucking waste of time and CDs :mad: Surely by now this is a basic feature that ought to be reliable? Do I really have to buy extra software for such a mundane task on Windows?

Not once have I ever had an ISO burn successfully using Windows XP, Vista and now 7. From now on I will always use Linux to burn discs :rolleyes:

Last edited:
WTF are you talking about? Go download a free burner. Use this new feature called "Google."

And for the record I've never had any problems with Windows 7 programs.

WTF are you talking about?
Across multiple versions of Windows, on different machines and CD/DVD writers Windows disc burn always fails. I don't know why, it should just work - I shouldn't have to faff about trying to find a free image burner that will do the job.

I use the same PC and media with Linux or Windows+Nero and I get a successful burn with no hassle? So why is that the free stuff works and MS doesn't? I am irritated to say the least

Thanks, I'll check it out

Last edited:
they don't even try to create a decent burning software because everyone will just go and download ImgBurn anyway

I haven't had one coaster after 7 years and maybe 500 cd/dvd/dvd+DL in windows.

The ISO burning application in Windows 7 is exactly what I want. No frills, no overburning options, just burn ISO to media.

I've never had a failed burn with the built-in ISO recorder, but ImgBurn is an awesome app.

Ya, never had a problem here with ISO burn in windows7. Being a technet subscriber and working on my certs, I tend to burn quite a few ISOs every week for testing purposes, too.

I've had no issues with the burner built into Windows 7 either, works every time.

I never had any issues burning CD's using XP's built in feature either, though XP actually had a stripped down version of Easy CD Creator in it (commercial burning software from Roxio) to handle burning.

It's 2010, I'm using Windows 7, I've got decent quality Verbatim media, I'm thinking I can just burn an image to disc and it will be fine. What a total fucking waste of time and CDs :mad: Surely by now this is a basic feature that ought to be reliable? Do I really have to buy extra software for such a mundane task on Windows?

Not once have I ever had an ISO burn successfully using Windows XP, Vista and now 7. From now on I will always use Linux to burn discs :rolleyes:

I've not experienced this problem, and it seems many others have not, either. Is this meant to be an indictment of the ability of Windows to burn media, a subtle troll/rant about using Linux, or what?

In short: is there even a question here?

an indictment of the ability of Windows to burn media,
Mostly this, but specifically the basic burning software (not Windows in general, or other burning software in Windows)

So many people appear to have no problem, but I have never had success with the burn software integrated into Windows - it always writes errors! I just do not understand what is happening. On Windows XP I had LG, Samsung and Plextor writers (real Plextor, before they just became rebranded something else) With Vista I used the Plextor and a couple of different Samsung, and now I'm on 7 with a Samsung DVD-RW. It's been a mix of AMD & Intel systems as well, unbranded media, Verbatim & Datawrite.

Nero was always fine burning within Windows, but the OEM versions I had no longer work with WIndows 7 so I have relied on linux lately (knowing that Windows has given me problems unless it was Nero) Today I just happened to want a burn a .ISO and get on with what I was doing - without having to faff about finding and installng alternative burn software or go to another PC with Linux.

I'd just like to be able right click a .ISO in WIndows, select 'burn to disc' and not worry about it working.

I have never had a problem with the built in iso burner program in win7, works everytime. If i need to make a different kind of disk or make an iso i just use imgburn.

another person with no problems here, vista & 7 i use alot the burning data for DVD's and cd's with no problems.

XP i always used nero and i can say i probably burn 10-30 disks a week in the past.

I would think more it is something your doing with your system while your burning.

Mostly this, but specifically the basic burning software (not Windows in general, or other burning software in Windows)

So many people appear to have no problem, but I have never had success with the burn software integrated into Windows - it always writes errors! I just do not understand what is happening. On Windows XP I had LG, Samsung and Plextor writers (real Plextor, before they just became rebranded something else) With Vista I used the Plextor and a couple of different Samsung, and now I'm on 7 with a Samsung DVD-RW. It's been a mix of AMD & Intel systems as well, unbranded media, Verbatim & Datawrite.

Nero was always fine burning within Windows, but the OEM versions I had no longer work with WIndows 7 so I have relied on linux lately (knowing that Windows has given me problems unless it was Nero) Today I just happened to want a burn a .ISO and get on with what I was doing - without having to faff about finding and installng alternative burn software or go to another PC with Linux.

I'd just like to be able right click a .ISO in WIndows, select 'burn to disc' and not worry about it working.

Like every other person does? Seems like this is a subtle yet wholly ineffective 'use linux' troll - ineffective because it doesn't seem anybody else can reproduce your supposed issue.

What is the result that happens when you try to burn a CD? Does burning fail to complete, or produce a corrupt file?

I've burned a few CDs and DVDs with the built-in burner without issue, on Win7 x64. Been looking for excuses to use some of my antique CompUSA-branded DVD-Rs. They still work fine for burning somehow.

Seems like this is a subtle yet wholly ineffective 'use linux' troll
If you are convinced of that then fine, you've said it twice now so you don't need keep repeating yourself. Stop reading the thread and add me on your ignore list, I can do without the unhelpful accusations. For the record, I've complained much more about linux than I have about Windows.

What is the result that failshappens when you try to burn a CD? Does burning fail to complete, or produce a corrupt file?
I think it's always been the same, burn completes and ejects the disc, apparently all good. However on reboot the disc has errors, either won't load or fails the self verification test.

I would think more it is something your doing with your system while your burning.
any ideas on what though? I usually set the burn running and then leave the PC alone, but I did leave Avira running today. In the past I've tried disabling whatever anti-virus I was running, had no luck, then used Nero instead for it to work just fine. Nero is good with or without anti-virus running.

The only thing I've wondered is if the Windows burn runs too fast by default? I am really struggling for ideas, I would've though other people would have the same problem if that were the case.

Hi, IanM,

I was wondering if your system is running at default, or are you OCing?

Chuklr

On the burned side: do you see bands on the CD so that it looks like there are rings on the disc?

i have had this problem several times over the last couple years, always a firmware issue with the burner and only with SATA burners. last time it happened was here at home and i ended up having to switch back to a PATA burner as there was no firmware update for my sata one.

Could be your media if you are using low quality media. The windows 7 iso burner works great for me.

I'll have to agree with everyone's recommendations for IMGburn. It really works great under Windows 7. :)

Could be your media if you are using low quality media. The windows 7 iso burner works great for me.
On the burned side: do you see bands on the CD so that it looks like there are rings on the disc?
I fished a dead disc out of the bin and compared it with a working one. They look identical to me - the burn area looks clean all the way to the edge, there is a thin strip of raw area, then the outer ring of the disc. This is with Verbatim CDs

I have had some plain unbranded that I used for testing, I killed a load of these trying to figure out Windows' but they were OK on Nero (back when I could use it on XP) A few Verbatim and Datawrite had similar issues, but I was less inclined to waste these i.e. good with Nero, coasters on Windows burner.

Not related to the Windows issues, but for comparison: I have had few fail under Brasero (linux) but these didn't look as if anything at all was burned to the disc, and I figured out the problem there was trying to burn images stored on an NTFS drive. Moving the .ISO to an EXT3 or EXT4 partition before copying is reliable.

I was wondering if your system is running at default, or are you OCing?
always been stock. Nice thought though.

i have had this problem several times over the last couple years, always a firmware issue with the burner and only with SATA...
Interesting, I have had problems with both SATA/IDE but I can't remember too many firmware upgrades, only with a previous Samsung and the Plextor (716A) I don't think the firmware on the current Samsung has been upgraded, so that would probably be the most sensible thing to try next.

I'm fresh out of discs now, so I'm going to let this drift for a bit until I can get more (and have a little more free time)

Last edited:
really? even though Nero & Linux are just fine. Exactly what is it you think is a user error in right click -> burn image? As part of the operating system this task is routine, it should be absolutley robust and no-one should have to go looking for alternative solutions.

As part of the operating system this task is routine, it should be absolutley robust and no-one should have to go looking for alternative solutions.
You, as a Linux user, should know the answer to this already, without having to ask. if Microsoft made the included burning app to have any type of feature set, beyond the basics, they would have been sued, and it would have been removed. So if you are frustrated that it is no configurable options....don't blame Microsoft.

Now, as others have mentioned, it does work for most of us, if not all but you. What does that tell you? If the burning app itself was the issue, no one would be able to use it. The problem lies elsewhere. Do you have codec packs or anything like that installed? I've seen them botch up a working burner and it's apps. Have you tried any of the freeware apps out there as a test?

...included burning app to have any type of feature set, beyond the basics...
...What does that tell you? If the burning app itself was the issue, no one would be able to use it. The problem lies elsewhere...
Advanced/extra features don't matter at all.

I'm clearly in the minority, and much more so than I expected, but I'm defintely not the only person I know who has had problems with it - I've asked a couple of programmers in the games development studio where I worked, they burn discs all the time and they both said avoid Windows' burner as it's less reliable than anything else.

The only codec stuff I've used recently is VLC, when I get some new discs I'll try an absolutely clean install with nothing but Windows installed. Also, if ImgBurn works for me I'll just start using that (I'm hopeful on that because Nero was fine)

Could the iso's themselves be damaged? I'm also in the never had an issue with the built-in burner club.

.ISO's were/are good - I tried a few different ones, and they burn successfully from alternative apps.

Across multiple versions of Windows, on different machines and CD/DVD writers Windows disc burn always fails. I don't know why, it should just work - I shouldn't have to faff about trying to find a free image burner that will do the job.

I use the same PC and media with Linux or Windows+Nero and I get a successful burn with no hassle? So why is that the free stuff works and MS doesn't?

Dunno...across multiple versions of Windows for myself, and for many many many clients..has worked great since I started using native Windows support for burning back in the XP days for basic stuff. I prefer CDBurnerXP for some things...but..still, Windows did just fine for basic stuff. //shrugs

really? even though Nero & Linux are just fine. Exactly what is it you think is a user error in right click -> burn image? As part of the operating system this task is routine, it should be absolutley robust and no-one should have to go looking for alternative solutions.

Yes, really. It's the only explanation given the number of successful users and machines that are working. You're the only one reporting this issue, and you do it in an inflammatory and trollish way. "Why is it so awful" is not a request for help, it's unsubstantiated bitching. Considering the number of people who don't have any such issue, the only consistent thing I see in your problem description...is you.

Thanks for all your input Tawnos. Next time someone posts a rant because they are p'd off maybe you'll give them the benefit of the doubt because the problem might be genuine, even if it's a minority issue or no one else has the problem. You are the only one who felt it necessary to post insulting and patronising responses, I asked you very politely to stop and yet you can't resist coming back with more. Please just do not post any more on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back