Why is vista install taking so long?

Mega Sam

n00b
So I am installing windows vista rtm (32-bit), everything is done then comes to the completing installation the very last process of the installation. It takes forever I'm stuck on this process for almost over an hour. The install itself has not froze the dots next to the words are always in motion and my hard drive lights on my PC are still going, but progress bar at the bottom has not moved. Should it take this long? I heard that windows vista takes 20 minutes to install. I'm installing on a 60 GB ata133 drive thats has one 33 GB partition for Windows XP and one 23 GB partition for vista, both primary partitions.

On both of my systems, the RC2 and RTM installed in 30 minutes or less. I'm not sure why it's taking so long for yours.

This is a legal copy, correct? I've heard some of the copies "floating around" have some "additional" software in them.

Other than that I'm not too sure. Haven't needed to trouble shoot a Vista installation. Your hardware is functioning correctly, right? No hard drive issues?

Yes this is a legal copy, but i didn't put a key since I want to try ultimate. I'll install again when I get my business key from the mail. No hard drive issues, but could it be my chipset on my motherboard? I had a device that no correct driver in my device manager in XP called system interrupt controller, which belongs to my chipset. I didn't install a new chipset driver yet because it didn't pose any problems. But this is vista install what should it have to do with xp's drivers?

you could try to reset it. i know xp and vista will pick right on an install if you restart the comp, maybe it dug itself into a loop or something.

The hardware I'm running is as follows:

Intel Pentium D 805 @ 2.8 GHz

1 GB DDR2 667 RAM

1 Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 hard drive

1 Seagate 250 GB sata 1.5 GB/s hard drive

128 MB ATI Radeon 9600xt AGP

Sound Blaster LIVE! 5.1 PCI

If you would like me to go into further detail about my hardware do tell.

If XP had issues with your motherboard, that might be the problem. What board is it? Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with your hardware. I'm running Vista on a similar machine. You might try pulling out the SATA drive and sound card to eliminate any possibilities there.

I would bet it has something to do with dual booting. Try installing Vista on it's own drive if you can.

If XP had issues with your motherboard, that might be the problem. What board is it? Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with your hardware. I'm running Vista on a similar machine. You might try pulling out the SATA drive and sound card to eliminate any possibilities there.

I would bet it has something to do with dual booting. Try installing Vista on it's own drive if you can.

My motherboard is an ASrock 775Dual-880Pro-http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Dual-880Pro&s=n
And I installed new chipset drivers under XP it fixed that problem I mentioned before.

I had a dual sata II mobo and vista took about 2hrs to install on it(installed it about 10 times) and then proceeded to run like crap, I switched out my mobo and its fine now and takes about 20 minutes to install(along with raptor HD)

Well switching out my mobo isn't an option for me since I don't have another one. I ran the install again still froze at the same part. I'm going to start the setup from xp now instead of booting from the CD.

Well switching out my mobo isn't an option for me since I don't have another one. I ran the install again still froze at the same part. I'm going to start the setup from xp now instead of booting from the CD.

Actually sometimes it would install and sometimes it would freeze at around 80% if i remember correctly on the asrock board

It seems now there is something wrong with my hard drive I suppose. When ever I open partition magic 8 it says my default drive C: is a bad partition, but I can access just fine I have xp installed on it. But then if I open another partitioning software called acronis disk director it shows all my drives as normal and when I try to create a partition it doesn't do it, it does all the processes completely then when I come to my computer there is no new drivers. Man when it comes to hard drives problems its the worst, there to many dam problems to deal with. Is their any way to format a hard drive without losing your data/os?

Back