• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Why is this computer performing so poorly?

Mopo

n00b
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
2
The computer in question is getting around 30-50 FPS in High quality with no AA/AF on in CS Source and on 1024x768, high quality on DOOM3 timedemo1 it gets average of 30fps. Here are it's specs:

P4 2.4A/B
Radeon x800 Pro w/16 pipes unlocked
1GB PC2700/2100 RAM
MSI 648Max mobo

The comp was defragged recently and has 35 processes running in the background usually with 5 in tray (including Steam and Norton Antivirus/PFirewall). Ive tried taking off 3dsky and taking off shadows but the FPS inpact is minimal. Im seeing people with worse specs getting solid 70 frames. Im guessing its the slow RAM mainly slowing it down? Would one 512mb stick of PC3200 be a better setup RAM-wise? Its running on the new 4.8Cats.

I would expect a 2.4ghz with an x800 pro to run better than this =/ Ive been around everywhere asking whats wrong with this comp but people have been baffled, hopefully some of you can help. One guy even thought I was joking. Im thinking I should format my comp and start fresh?
 
What did you have prior the new hardware (I assume your video card)? I always format after getting a new piece, especially a main component like a video card.
 
Back
Top