Why is sandy bridge so hot?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
11,799
I'm just a little confused about why sandy bridge is so hot in comparison to amd chips. For example my x4 955 is a 125w chip and loads around 42C on prime 95 with a thermal take big typhoon. I can drop the fan speed to minimum and it loads at 52C. All the while my friends 2500k build I help him setup loads at 60C with an h50 (should be quite a bit better than my big typhoon) on prime 95 and it is a 95W part lower voltage too. Both of these are open bench tests.

I'm just confused how intel's chips are more energy efficient yet have higher temps? I know the old IHS was concave (or convex?) on the p4 and that caused some higher temps is that still the case?

This isn't a troll at all, I am genuinely confused how a lower watt, lower voltage cpu with a better cooler can be so much hotter.
 
if your friend has 60C at stock clocks stressed with a h50, he's doing something wrong. get him to reseat the heatsink, or reapply thermal

i get 60-70C at stock clocks stressed on a stock heatsink

<50C at stock clocks stressed with a 212+

60C at 4.5ghz, 1.3v stressed with 212+
 
my 2500k @ 4.4ghz loads to 53c with the h70

if he's running stock voltage and speed
sounds like the h50 isn't seated or not working correctly. Make sure the pump power isn't hooked up to the cpu's fan header (or any header that's not running 12v all the time) as it has to run full speed on the pump, the fans you can muck with, but not the pump

if he's overclocking, how much voltage are you pushing to it?
 
Last edited:
You can't compare Intel CPU core temperatures to what AMD reports. Intel locates their sensors on the hottest spots on the core while AMD does not. Sensor location alone can cause a 20C to 25C difference in peak temperatures when stress testing. Sensor accuracy is another big wild card. Might as well be comparing apples to oranges.
 
You can't compare Intel CPU core temperatures to what AMD reports. Intel locates their sensors on the hottest spots on the core while AMD does not. Sensor location alone can cause a 20C to 25C difference in peak temperatures when stress testing. Sensor accuracy is another big wild card. Might as well be comparing apples to oranges.

+1

Honestly, the two hottest chips I've used recently are my i7 930 and Phenom II X6 1055T. They are both hot lil beasts, especially when OCed.
 
Back
Top