Why is my pc shutting off?

Ryan Young

n00b
My gaming pc is shutting off when I’m in a game. I play war zone on medium/ high settings also I’m having to play at a lower FPS rate so it won’t shut off. There are a couple of videos on YouTube saying that it could be the cpu cooler.
Here are my specs:
Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler
Asrock b450 pro 4 motherboard
16 gb ram
Asus 1070 turbo 8gb gpu
1 tb of hard drive
256 boot drive
What is wrong with my pc?

Auto shut down could be a number of reasons. But if it's only shutting down while you are playing games. This is a good indicator that your power supply unit may be the cause. Either the PSU isn't rated or supplying enough power for when the computer needs it or the PSU is faulty. What's your PSU wattage?

Auto shut down could be a number of reasons. But if it's only shutting down while you are playing games. This is a good indicator that your power supply unit may be the cause. Either the PSU isn't rated or supplying enough power for when the computer needs it or the PSU is faulty. What's your PSU wattage?

Do you think I need to upgrade to more watts

Did anything on it changed recently and is there any part that you can shift with something else (say a old video card lying around, ram kit, etc...), if can swipe some hardware it can help cross off possible issues.

If you ram is above Ryzen 5 1600 official supported DDR-4 2666 speed it can be worth a quick try to put it back at that slower speed.

Do you think I need to upgrade to more watts
what make/model and how old is it? no you dont need more wattage, min required is 500w.

Did anything on it changed recently and is there any part that you can shift with something else (say a old video card lying around, ram kit, etc...), if can swipe some hardware it can help cross off possible issues.

If you ram is above Ryzen 5 1600 official supported DDR-4 2666 speed it can be worth a quick try to put it back at that slower speed.
if it was ram he'd get bsod not powering off. most likely a prob with the psu or gpu itself.

what make/model and how old is it? no you dont need more wattage, min required is 500w.

if it was ram he'd get bsod not powering off. most likely a prob with the psu or gpu itself.
No I don’t have any parts laying around I have a evga 650 gq

Last edited:

No I don’t have any parts laying around I have a evga 650gq

Did you install any new devices or upgrade any new hardware? Has this happened to you before when playing this game or is this a new game install? Also, if possible see if anything was logged in the event viewer system portion during the shutdown.

From what I have calculated from the information provided. It seems like the PSU wattage should be more then enough for your setup. It may be faulty and you may need to test how much the PSU power consumption is with a power supply tester. But before you do that, if you installed in any new hardware I would check those first. Unplug the hardware and test it and see if it is still shutting down with the hardware off.
https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

Last edited:
Did you install any new devices or upgrade any new hardware? Has this happened to you before when playing this game or is this a new game install? Also, if possible see if anything was logged in the event viewer system portion during the shutdown.

From what I have calculated from the information provided. It seems like the PSU wattage should be more then enough for your setup. It may be faulty and you may need to test how much the PSU power consumption is with a power supply tester. But before you do that, if you installed in any new hardware I would check those first. Unplug the hardware and test it and see if it is still shutting down with the hardware off.
https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/
I have no new hardware on this computer but I will test my psu to see if it is faulty

I'd blame the crappy stock cooler. All of the Wraith coolers except the Max and Prism are junk. The Stealth and Spire models are just crappy extruded aluminum slugs with very poor thermal transfer. It can't pull heat out of the CPU fast enough, or dissipate it efficiently, making it only suitable for very low power CPUs. They basically have the same problem stock Intel coolers have had for decades, just with a fancier less noisy fan. The versions with copper slugs are only slightly better.

I would recommend replacing the CPU cooler with something better. A Hyper 212 is basically the defacto go-to cooler that works for almost everything. Or if you can find a Wraith Max or Prism used on the cheap.

only time i've ever gotten straight up reboots from gaming has been heat related. Either the CPU or GPU. Could be as simple as a cable caught in a fan causing it to not spin (legit happened).

Oh and should add I once installed a cpu fan blowing the wrong way. That took a really long time to figure out dafuq was going on.

Back