Why is my internet so slowed compared to the rest of my families?

xnikx

[H]ard|Gawd
So today we just went back to comcast and i get home from work and the internet is unbearably slow.

we had comcast about two months ago and i use to get 56 mbps at all times, and never had to wait minutes just to load up the hardforum.
we tried atnt which we werent happy with so we decided to go back to comcast/xfinity.

so i bring my sisters laptop downstairs, where my pc is located to test her connection vs mine.
i use a wireless adapter, not hard line connected, but never had problems before.

Her speed shows 130.0 Mbps, mine is only 5.5 Mbps

her internet speed test
ping 20ms
download speed 3.92
upload speed 6.23

mine
ping 20ms
download speed 0.53 mbps
upload speed 9.18 mbps

forgot to mention that the router is upstairs in the florida room, where we have always kept are routers. now i understand through a wireless connection my internet will be a bit slower since im in the basement but like i said i use to get a constant 56 mbs, now only 5.5 versus my sisters who both get 130 mpbs?
i cant even watch youtube videos at 320p

Last edited:
A couple of ideas pop in mind.

The first is to try your PC nearer to the AP's. Perhaps your wireless receiver is struggling with a wall, distance, or interference that your sisters is not. Your's could be running on a frequency that has interference.

The second idea is to check the drivers for your wireless adapter. Blow them them out and reinstall?

i picked up a new wireless adapter from miejers, as a quick test. which actually brought were performance, only 1.1mbps.

im going to pick up a ethernet cable tomorrow and ill see how that goes and post back.

make sure you don't have an antivirus program running with network monitoring enabled. I've seen these do some awful things.

If your wireless connection is showing low speeds, it's not an internet issue - it's a WiFi issue.

Try new wireless adapter drivers(full uninstall and reinstall), test closer to your Router/AP, force Wireless G if it's trying to run 2.4GHz Wireless N (I've seen this do terrible things, especially on Intel cards), and/or force 20MHz spread instead of 20/40 or Auto....

Get a wireless router that has a really high output power like ...

Amped Wireless products, ubiquiti, or Asus RT-n66u or the Asus AC router.

If your wireless connection is showing low speeds, it's not an internet issue - it's a WiFi issue.

Try new wireless adapter drivers(full uninstall and reinstall), test closer to your Router/AP, force Wireless G if it's trying to run 2.4GHz Wireless N (I've seen this do terrible things, especially on Intel cards), and/or force 20MHz spread instead of 20/40 or Auto....

wifi connection speeds will ramp up and down depending upon utilization.

Back