why is my home lan soo slow!

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
well my pc works fine, webpages load super fast, fast DL speeds, etc.
my other PC which is also wired is slow. takes like 1 minute to load footlocker homepage.
my main PC is DLing always at about 100-300 KBps off BT. usualy even slower then that. I caped my UL for bittorent at 35Kbps. my laptop thats connected on wifi is fast too.
the router iam using is a D-Link DI-524
my PC has integrated NIC and the other PC has a 3com, i swaped the NIC about 3 times still same result even changed the ethernet cable that runs to the other room. i was thinking of getting a wifi card for it and see if that would improve the results. is that my last option?

Check the duplex settings for the nic cards. Depending on the type of switch and type of card some of them dont like to play together on auto. you may have to set it to 100meg full. I just had this happen to me with my file server. With my old router I had to hard code both ends to 100 meg full, but when i got my new switch I had to set the comp to auto select or else it was slow as all hell.

Also note that one side at Auto and the other side at Full duplex IS a Duplex Mismatch in most cases.

thanks for the help. i switched both of my PC to full duplex 100. can someone tell if the di-524 supports full duplex?

Back