Why is my computer freezing ?

Yes_sir21

Weaksauce
I have decent pc but sometimes i have to press on things to times to for things to open or windows to respond. So i just thought maybe i just need a fresh reinstall of windows 7, so i reinstall windows7 64bit, but problem is still here. I even defraged the hardisk before installing a fresh windows 7.

Things are fast but sometimes it doesnt response and everything gets locked for a few second, and then back again normal.

My hardware is i7 920, 6 gig ram, gpu nvidia 7950 gt, and system hdd is Samsung SpinPoint P120 250GB SATA2 from 2006.

Since the oldest things are the hdd and gpu on my sytem, Im suspected that they are the problem.

What do you guys think , do i need new harddisk/ gpu ? Or am i doing something wrong ?

here you have my dxdiag print.

dxdiagv.png

What happened to the GTX 260? The 7950 should be fine, though.

An upgrade for the hard drive would probably fix your issues and speed things up a little.

WD 640 black

Try another hard drive. Many freezes/crashes I've experienced in the pass was because the HD was dying.

Also change out SATA cables. I've had issues like this due to bad SATA cables / loose SATA connections.

Also change out SATA cables. I've had issues like this due to bad SATA cables / loose SATA connections.

If you look at the SMART data on your hard drives it should tell you if the SATA cables could be a problem. I mean cable problems will show up as CRC errors.

Sorry for the late answer guys, i was at school.
So i just changed the cables from a storage disk to the system disk , so far no freezing after 10 minutes.Lets hope it stays that way. Thanks @ silent-circuit for the tip.

If you look at the SMART data on your hard drives it should tell you if the SATA cables could be a problem. I mean cable problems will show up as CRC errors.
What software do you use please link me to it ? I tried it once but i dont know how i would use it to see cable issue.

I was thinking to buy SSD but hey maybe i dont need it after all. And the fresh install is just plus. Btw does anyone know where or how i can update to Directx11 the 64 bit version ?
I have look all around always end up with 32 bit version.

@caniba: The 260 got burned. Temp were as high as 90-100c after 10 gaming. So i got my money back and im holding up for something good from nvidia.

it doesnt seem stable still. i need this SMART program.
Right now it is only happning when im changing between tabs in chrome. Two clicks to change a tab sometimes. That cant be right. Everything else is seems ok.

Uninstall Chrome, and maybe try Chrome Canary build instead? I've had horrible luck with browsers lately -- Chrome won't show about 1/2 the flash videos (they just don't appear) despite having the latest version of Flash installed, and Firefox sometimes takes 30+ seconds to start and can go unresponsive for no good reason from time to time, too. The Flash issue is limited to my laptop (1.2Ghz ULV C2D), the rest is nearly every machine in the house, of which there are many. Everything from the 2.3Ghz C2D HTPC, Atom based netbook, and my 3.2Ghz C2Q gaming machine. It's getting to the point that I'm considering trying IE (beta 9), and that'd be a first in many many years.

If my previous experience is any indication, SMART testing is... pretty much useless. I'll try to find something though.

EDIT:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Download#Windows-InstalltheWindowspackage
http://prdownload.berlios.de/gsmartcontrol/gsmartcontrol-0.8.5-4.exe?download

Last edited:
I need someone to help me evaluate the SMART data, i cant to see any problems. But the pc still gets locked at times.

I need to make a decision on whether is should buy a new harddisk, or if the problem is somewhere else. I dont think that is the chrome browser since it works fine on all my other PCs.

Does everything look ok here ?
hdtunehealthsamsungsp25.png

smartinfo.png

hdtuneerrorscansamsungs.th.png]

hdtuneerrorscansamsungs.png

Last edited:
for the error scan, you need to click "Start" on it, itll take a while, and then show good blocks and bad blocks. sorry i dont know much about the smart data.

When you open a new tab in Chrome, you are generally allocating more memory. Have you run memtest86+ on your system? Most random freezing in my history have been memory related, a few hard drive here and there as well.

Here is the error scan from hdtune. I see nothing here either.

hdtuneerrorscansamsungh.png

No i didnt check memory but i will do so and post it memtest86+ here. Btw, i have 6gb ram and i never use it all. Moreover hovering the mouse to copy a sentence is not even stable,
it seems to jump another place or not really point to where i intended.So i have to aim a couple of times.

Last edited:
Is it your mouse? Sounds silly, but I could see a bad mouse causing the couple issues you've described.

Back