why is my 3000+ running so hot?

atomic3

Limp Gawd
I have the AMD 64 3000+ Newcastle processor with the stock hsf mounted in an ABIT NF8 motherboard. My BIOS is averaging ~ 51C idle, and ~54 under load.

I am using arctic silver 5 and made to follow the application instructions closely. I have also tried re-mounting the heatsink with a new application of the arctic silver. Furthermore, I have updated my BIOS to the latest version. I know the cpu can handle this temp but it still makes me uncomfortable when most people using the stock setup see idle temps around 38C.

This may be a stupid question, but is it possible that I have the hsf mounted backwords? The thing seems secure as can be, but it looks like it can be mounted either way.

Any input is appreciated.

it is possible, but I'm not entirely sure what the stock HSF looks like (I've never had a stock HSF for my A64).

with the older XP line, the HSFs were flat and had a recessed ridge to compensate for the socket elevation change on one side. You may want to see if that is the issue.

Or you may simply have a defective temp probe (as only a 3ºC rise in load from idle seems odd to me, as mine will rise from 32º idle to 37º-38ºC at full load), poor contact between the IHS and the core (in which case and rma is in order), poor airflow, or high ambient temps (or a combination of these).

But yes, 50ºC idle is a bit too high, even for craptastic stock cooling.

sounds like a bios issue. 4º between idle and load definitly isn't enough, i have decent air cooling (zalman) and i get a 10-12ºc rise depending on the air temps

This may sound silly but did you remove the factory stock heat transfer pad from your HSF before you applied the AS?

If not you need to do that first. That pad and any compound won’t play nice together.

Luck

That spread doesn't seem right....have you updated your bios to the most recent bios? I know the socket 754's has some heat reading issues at first, but was fixed. Also, you must clean both the CPU and heatsink with rubbing alcohol, then just put a drop or two in the middle of the CPU and squish it down w/ the heatsink (A64's have a heatspreader, so it doesn't need to be over the entire thing, just about 80-90%). Also, after putting it on, don't pull it up to check....because that will bring the oh-so-evil air bubbles.

Other than that, can't think of anything else.

This may sound silly but did you remove the factory stock heat transfer pad from your HSF before you applied the AS?

I definately removed the stock thermal pad that came on the HSF. And I followed the arctic silver instructions precisely.

Is it possible that the HSF is mounted backwards? It seems to me that it will mount either way...

And we used a small amount of artic silver 5 eh? ;)

atomic3 said:
I definately removed the stock thermal pad that came on the HSF. And I followed the arctic silver instructions precisely.

Is it possible that the HSF is mounted backwards? It seems to me that it will mount either way...

I don't think you can mount it backwards since the botton is flat either way. I have the exact same problem as you and it really ticks me off. One thing I think i've been able to link some of the problem to is my video card. It's a 9700 Pro and it has four ram modules on the back. For some reason they are getting WAYYY too hot (if someone could help me with that) and i think that the cpu fan is blowing that sucking in that hot air to cool the cpu. I'll find out for sure if that is the problem once I get my 6600 GT. It should be arriving in a few days

I found that it's a lot of trial and error in putting in a heatsink just right. You sometimes need to get it settled in and then rotate it ever so slightly so that it adjust the thermal paste and maybe slides it into any gaps. Take the heatsink off clean it and repeat the steps again sometimes.

CPU diode temps aren't the accurate.

Get a thermal probe then get back to me.

if it's stable, stop worring about it.

My 3200+ Newcastle has a idle temp of 45C to 51C depending on the room temps. It also pisses me off because with my A64 2800+ my idle temps are 32C.. I've tried reseating the hs/f several times and it's always around 45C.

My 3400+ Newcastle temps are rather high as well, 45 idle and around 52 load.

There is no such thing as front or backwards on the stock Heatsink and fan assy. It will go on only 2 ways and either is correct cause their identical.

Possible issues that can fix the problem:

Flash to latest Bios for your motherboard. They are all (754&939 pin boards) known to have incorrect temp reading on eairlyer Bios versions.

What is the case airflow like. You should have fans intaking air from front lower and then fans at rear or rear and top ventilating. Poor airflow will cause issues.

Try reseating your heatsink. redo thermal paste and reseat if need be.

But truely I belive that the Bios issue will fix it. Or possibly could be a bad board sensor.

Try different bioses...They all seem to give different readings.

Also, your comp might just be new and it will take a day or two of running prime95 and just messing around w/your comp before temps start to go down and that AS5 starts working. First day I had my system running I was idling @ 41-42 and loading at 50-52.

If none of those work, re-seat your HSF.

I lapped my HS..seems like it might of helped some, not sure

I idle 34C and load 47C...that's just with a small overclock 215 X 9. I just got the board 2 days ago, got it running yesterday. Going to overclock more.

-fro

(cf)Eclipse said:
sounds like a bios issue. 4º between idle and load definitly isn't enough, i have decent air cooling (zalman) and i get a 10-12ºc rise depending on the air temps
I've heard of lots of ppl who have idle and load temps that are within 5C within each other (granted, that usually something low like 35C-40C, never in the 50C range, so it could probably be tributed to a good HSF).

i definately have the latest bios. the abit NF8 just recently hit the market and only has one bios revision, lol. I reseated the HSF with some new arctic silver 5 and now i get idle temps of 47C with 50C temps under load.

I notice this; when I reach into a machine with a 2500 Barton running at 3200+ the base of the heat sink is damn warm, but it reads 48c.

On my 3200 64 running at 2.5 under load the temp reads 46c but the HSF is barely warm.

There are big differences in a sensor under the CPU and a Sensor Diode on board the CPU. I’d hate to think what the internal temp of the Barton really is.

atomic3 said:
i definately have the latest bios. the abit NF8 just recently hit the market and only has one bios revision, lol. I reseated the HSF with some new arctic silver 5 and now i get idle temps of 47C with 50C temps under load.

lol IC..I thought you had a neo2.

Well, I would say it is the bios. just IMO.

Check to see if others are having the same problem with the board.

If you're worried about it, lap your heatsink and CPU heatspreader. The stock heatsink certainly doesn't come smooth, and we've all heard the stories of people's processors having bulges that prevent full contact with the heatsink.

Once you've lapped both the heatsink and CPU, apply your Arctic Silver (using as little as possible) and see how things go. If the temps are similar (and assuming you've got proper cooling in your system) it's definitely a malfunction with the BIOS or temp sensor. You can now rest assured that you're really running around ten degrees cooler.

Also, keep in mind that thermal compounds have a "break-in" period during which your average temp can drop up to five degrees.

It mightj ust be the IHS was placed on a bit bad.. really.. cutting it off could help, but it'd require a lotta work, but it'll yield a drop in temps and maybe some OC headroom :)

yeah, but by removing the ihs, you expose the very weak core.. and you'll have to compensate for the height difference without the ihs on the chip. (meaning you have to figure out how to make your heatsink even tighter, but not so tight you crack the core)

condensed said:
I would get a thermal probe before you started a bunch of work.

seriously, you need to diagnose the problem fully to see if you really even have a problem.

interal diodes are notoriously inaccurate.

atomic3 said:
The latest temps you gave are WELL within thermal specs. I would quite worrying about it and move on. If you were going to oc this may have been an issue, but for stock speeds it is fine. Relax and enjoy the chip.

What I REALLY want to know is how do you like that new Abit board? (I know off-topic, but I gotta ask) :D

BillR said:

If not you need to do that first. That pad and any compound won’t play nice together.

Luck

The AMD stock cooler for the Athlon 64 does not have a transfer pad; rather it has some rather good gray colored thermal compound applied in a square. It makes a very strong bond between the HSF and CPU, and worked well enough that idle temperatures with the stock unit were identical to idle temps with my Swiftech MCX64-V heatsink/fan, 36-37C. Of course, my processor is a Winchester rather than a Newcastle, so your temps may be a bit higher than mine.

50C seems a bit high. I'd ensure the heatsink is on level and locked down securely. It can only go on one way really, what with the locking lever on the heatsink/fan unit. If at all possible, don't remove it entirely, as you'll need to scrape the thermal compound off both the heatsink/fan and the CPU and reapply a new coat of something else. I'd also ensure that the case is adequately ventilated, and that there are no issues with the CPU fan being obstructed by cables or other things in your case.

What temperatures are you getting at idle if you leave the side of your case off?

With the side of the case off and facing away from my desk I get ~48C idle. There are NO cables obscuring the cpu.

atomic3 said:
With the side of the case off and facing away from my desk I get ~48C idle. There are NO cables obscuring the cpu.

There is part of the problem. Looks like you have some sort of poor air flow in the case. There may not be any cables blocking but if your fans arent configured right for push pull (intake and exhaust) then you may not be getting enough air circulation. right there is a 3 degree drop with the case side off. Now if you have fans that push enough cool air in cfm as well as have some in the front down low that intake air and some in the rear below the PSU that exhaust and or ad one in the top to exhaust it will help. But, also sounds like you may need to flash the bios and update it just in case as well as let the thermal material get some running time under its belt to break in and do its job.

Back