• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why is Mad Dog Multimedia ignored?

Joined
Jun 19, 2005
Messages
548
Just curious. I have a Mad Dog Multimedia Raptor Geforce4 Ti4200 video card. (Gee, that's a long name.) Anyway, it works great and I read some guy used one for 3 years and never had a problem. He said it was rock solid.
I'm just wondering why they don't seem to be on anybody's map? Why aren't they more popular?
 
I don't know. I've bought several MD products (burners, sound cards, and video cards) and all worked fine.
 
B/c they just take other major manufacturer cards/stuff and rebrand them to sell at CompUSSR, etc.

I bought a Mad Dog 550W PSU, b/c I wanted one ASAP (that day) to go with my 6800GT. When I got it home and looked at it, it was just a Thermaltake 480W PSU repackaged and rated for its max peak watts(550), not continuous (480). Plus it was WAY OVERPRICED!!! I was pissed, but too lazy to disconnect it and bring it back.

IE: there's no need to review a MadDog 550W PSU and a Thermaltake 480W PSU, b/c they are the same exact thing. And the same goes for videocards, soundcards, etc.... Your videocard is probably just an eVGA or MSI, etc... repackage.
 
Yeah its just rebaged products just like the Buslink drives Best Buy use to sell that were pretty good deals IMO.

I remember everyone running to Best Buy to buy the "Smart Burn" Bus link Cd writers because they were just Lite-ons rebadged for 20 bucks, AR
 
chrisf6969 said:
And the same goes for videocards, soundcards, etc.... Your videocard is probably just an eVGA or MSI, etc... repackage.
Not always. The "plus" line of video cards used faster memory than other manufacturers. The Envy24HT sound cards had optical in and out, unlike other manufacturers that only use optical out.

Of course MD doesn't manufacture anything, but I think they do have exclusive parts on many items. For example, the MD DVD burners (NEC) ship with a custom firmware that's updated fairly frequently. NEC must be building firmware for MD since they lack an engineering department. There's nothing special about the cheapie Crystal-based 4.1/5.1 cards, but there's really no brand for those to begin with. :p The PSU is an exception since that's a straight rebranding.
 
Is Maddog Arctic Silver 5 the same as other Arctic Silver 5?

Maddog and CompUSA aren't listed as retailers on the Arctic Silver website.
 
I ignore them now because a couple years ago I bought a Maddog CD-ROM and it crapped out two months later. Ever since then I won't touch any Mddog products with a ten-foot pole!
 
piratepress said:
I ignore them now because a couple years ago I bought a Maddog CD-ROM and it crapped out two months later. Ever since then I won't touch any Mddog products with a ten-foot pole!


Don't ever buy a car! LOL
 
Arklight said:
Is Maddog Arctic Silver 5 the same as other Arctic Silver 5?

Maddog and CompUSA aren't listed as retailers on the Arctic Silver website.
This one? http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310882&pfp=BROWSE It says Arctic Silver 5 right on the packaging and tube. :p

OCZ brand "Ultra II Premium Silver" and CompUSA "Silver Paste" were different items and neither contained any silver (OCZ did a "recall" :rolleyes: ), but neither were advertised as Arctic Silver.
 
pxc said:
This one? http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310882&pfp=BROWSE It says Arctic Silver 5 right on the packaging and tube. :p

OCZ brand "Ultra II Premium Silver" and CompUSA "Silver Paste" were different items and neither contained any silver (they did a recall), but neither were advertised as Arctic Silver.


Yeah, I noticed that. I asked over in "Overclocking and Cooling" and somebody told me it was a kockoff and not the true Arctic Silver 5.

I thought that was wierd since it has "Arctic Silver 5" written on the packaging. I figured putting that on their would be illegal if it wasn't the actual product.

So essentially, Maddog distributes the Arctic Silver 5 under their label, only difference being it is sold at CompUSA?
 
Arklight said:
So essentially, Maddog distributes the Arctic Silver 5 under their label, only difference being it is sold at CompUSA?
Yep. I think Microcenter also sells/sold it. SVC sells AS5 cheaply with first class mail shipping, usually around $4 shipped.

Changing the subject... I don't like AS5. It's too messy. I use NTE303 (a quality zinc oxide/silica paste) and it performs within 0-2C (many times equal) of AS5. Plus it's a lot easier to clean up.
 
and the maddog's psu's like the 550watter is a rebranded superflower psu.. and umm thier dvd burners are rebranded NEC's
 
Ah well, I thought I found a rare gem. But at least I only paid $75 Canadian for my brand new Ti4200 from tigerdirect.ca

This is teh cool. I wanted to learn how to build a computer for the first time and didn't want to take too many chances.
 
You paid more and not less? Man!

You know, the only thing tigerdirect screwed me with was the floppy drive. It was supposed to be a Sony and would not work. It's an Alps Electric. Maybe I had the floppy connector upside down. Don't know. I might try it out later.
 
forumposter32 said:
You paid more and not less? Man!
:D That's the only reason I buy a Mad Dog item... when it's cheaper ($10-$30 video cards, $10 external Teac USB floppy drives, $40 NEC 16x DL DVD burners, etc).
 
items sold with brand name of the store its being sold in or with a name that is only found in a particular store is 90% of the time just another brand's product that was rebadged. Now, even brand names are using other companies products and rebadging them. I believe the lower end Sony DVD RW drives are rebadged liteon drives. I think the case is, some businesses want name recognition, just not the overhead of manufacturing the product. Good thing for us though, many times the store branded products are cheaper.

Zero
 
UltimaParadox said:
Yeah its just rebaged products just like the Buslink drives Best Buy use to sell that were pretty good deals IMO.

I remember everyone running to Best Buy to buy the "Smart Burn" Bus link Cd writers because they were just Lite-ons rebadged for 20 bucks, AR
Yeah..... I remember running to Best Buy back when the 24x CD-RW drives were usually ~100.00, picked up a "Buslink" Lite-On LTR-something for $49.99 :D Problem with reviewing most of that rebadged stuff is that if a different company is suddenly offering a better deal on the unlabled HW to Buslink, Maddog, etc. they are going to go with it and suddenly a Buslink 24x is no longer a Lite-On, but a NEC (or something to that effect); a Maddog Ti4200 is no longer an EVGA product (not saying it is, just an example) but a PNY product (again, just an example); therefore there is no real consistent way to review these types of items..... JMHO :)
 
Well, they do have large letters on their website saying they want to do the best customer support. Maybe they'd want to stick with the same manufacturer. After all, who'd want all the complaints coming in?

Moral gets low and people quit their jobs when that happens. I mean, I had a cousin who had worked at a call center for General Electric. He said other people got drained listening to people complain and would quit.
 
Sparky said:
The only Mad Dog I buy is 20/20.


:eek: Pure rotgut. My friends and I would split a pint of that before going into a movie. Nasty, but cheap and available to us then teenagers.

I have a Mad Dog PSU and it seems pretty good. The key is to try and do some research and see who actually made the part. If it turns out to be a good company, you may be getting yourself a hell of a deal.
 
The nastiest review I ever read was a bench of a Mad Dog soundcard.

Could'nt do a fuckin' thing it claimed :rolleyes:

I would'nt put any of that shit in my pc.
 
but if MD was a rebadged (quality product) appropriate priced product everyone in town would review it.

I've used them quite a bit with no problems. Yes COMPUSA sells them but thats what you get from the convenience of STAT.
 
I think Mad Dog had a severe support issue a couple years ago, people were getting stuff DOA or broke shortly after and people trying to get refunds or getting things RMA'd had a near impossible time of getting that to happen, don't know if that is still an issue today.
 
I just want to know who the person is that comes up with the names for Mad Dog products. The best one I ever saw was:

Mad Dog Predator BlastWave 5.1

(Some audio board.)

:D

How about the Mad Dog Insane Explosive Serial Killer Mk II

There should be a site with a little Java app that creates random Mad Dog product names. :D
 
Back
Top