why is a USED iPad more expensive than a NEW one???

Ashton

2[H]4U
This kinda left me scratching my head. Go to Apple.com and their selling the entry-level iPad for $499, but go to eBay and the entry-level iPad averages $650. No modifications, no additional "extras" like cases, just the ipad (sometimes not even the box, and soemtimes even with damage) is ~$650 (some higher, some lower, but average being around $650)

Can anyone explain this one to me?

This kinda left me scratching my head. Go to Apple.com and their selling the entry-level iPad for $499, but go to eBay and the entry-level iPad averages $650. No modifications, no additional "extras" like cases, just the ipad (sometimes not even the box, and soemtimes even with damage) is ~$650 (some higher, some lower, but average being around $650)

Everyday there is a sucker waiting and wanting to be split from their money.

If you go to the apple store, you will have to pay tax. Also, if the auction has international bidders, there is a chance that they cannot get one in their home country new, increasing the demand.

If you go to the apple store, you will have to pay tax. Also, if the auction has international bidders, there is a chance that they cannot get one in their home country new, increasing the demand.

Let see if that works out... here in GA tax is 7% (dont know about elsewhere in the USA, dont know about other countries)

$499 x 1.07 = $533.93
$533.93 =/= $650

International bidders makes sense (though I dont udnerstand why apple doesnt sell to all customers, I'll assume it's the same reason they're replacing all the screws in service iPhones (see other thread)) but it's hard to believe that practically everyone on ebay looking for an iPad is an international buyer (since most of the iPads are well over $500)...

Let see if that works out... here in GA tax is 7% (dont know about elsewhere in the USA, dont know about other countries)

$499 x 1.07 = $533.93
$533.93 =/= $650

International bidders makes sense (though I dont udnerstand why apple doesnt sell to all customers, I'll assume it's the same reason they're replacing all the screws in service iPhones (see other thread)) but it's hard to believe that practically everyone on ebay looking for an iPad is an international buyer (since most of the iPads are well over $500)...

You assume that $650 number is correct. I just sold a 3G 16gb version for $570 on ebay. And that was right before Chrismas when prices get a little inflated. And that was about average for what they were selling for when I did my research. I believe the $650 is greatly exaggerated. Also don't forget that the exchange rate will play a part in international bidding. Even if the iPads are available locally, the exchange rate may be favorable for them to pay a premium on the US version and have it imported.

When I do the research now, a wifi only 16gb ipad sells on ebay for just under $500. Around $485. The only ones I see over $500 are brand new ones. And even then, they aren't much over $500. If you need links, I can provide them.

Last edited:
it has everything to do with what you can get

the ipad is hip and cool and people want it - so if sellers are getting people to bite on a higher price then so be it - dumb buyer + smart seller = profit

you can buy a 3d monitor off ebay for $50 more than you can off newegg - same make model everything...

so $350 for neweggs guaranteed quality [free shipping] - not to mention excellent rma service
or $400 dubious seller on ebay [$25 for shipping] - gooood luck sending it back if something is wrong

but - his seller history shows 10 sold and 25 available - so obviously people are biting...

not everyone is internet savvy enough to know what they are buying or that better deals are out there... to each his own

there's a sucker born every single second...

my guess is that it's loaded with apps that's been bought. Kind of like a used ipod with $10K worth of song downloads :)

Possibly a supply problem? And as others have pointed out, some parts of the world cannot get them.

it's one of the reasons why I love my iphone. The resale value is top notch.

Everytime I've upgraded my phone, I've sold my old one for close to the retail price of at the time (and in the case of the original 2G iphone, much much more since it was the only unlockable phone at the time). On the flip side, I have friends with android devices that can't even give them away after they're a year old.

Apple is like the Honda of electronics... shit holds it's value pretty damn well, all things considered.

my guess is that it's loaded with apps that's been bought. Kind of like a used ipod with $10K worth of song downloads :)
I doubt that. AFAIK, you'd have to leave your itunes account synced to the device if you wanted to give away all your apps with it (which would give the new owner control of your itunes account)

Account transfers are certainly doable. Create a new account for each device and simply include the account details when you sell the device. Whether someone would actually do that is probably somewhat questionable.

This was a used unit?

If that's the case, that really is remarkable resale value.

Yep. It was in perfect condition with the box and inserts. Was still under warranty until July. Restored with no additional apps. I agree, it was really good resale value.

Possibly a supply problem? And as others have pointed out, some parts of the world cannot get them.

it's one of the reasons why I love my iphone. The resale value is top notch.

Everytime I've upgraded my phone, I've sold my old one for close to the retail price of at the time (and in the case of the original 2G iphone, much much more since it was the only unlockable phone at the time). On the flip side, I have friends with android devices that can't even give them away after they're a year old.

Apple is like the Honda of electronics... shit holds it's value pretty damn well, all things considered.

Cant argue that, I bought my Macbook for $399 and resold if a year later for $379. Part of it is quality, you really cant say Apple makes low-quality devices...

Odd, most of the android phones i've looked at have held their value pretty well, I know my EVO is selling on ebay for more than I paid for it on upgrade. I was looking for an android phone for a friend and couldnt fine one for less than $150 (often more) unless I went for a broken one...

Also I just did the research, and most of the "16gb ipads" for >$600 are acctually 64gb where people cant choose the right radio button... but they're still selling a lot of them for ~$500 (I did see one going for $580) which is retail price...

also, I hadnt considered the currency values. I'll admit I'm guilty of often converting to a buyer's local currency to buy something due to values of the USD vs other currences

EDIT:
also seeing a discrepancy in 3G vs WiFi only... that's causing a change in price...

Account transfers are certainly doable. Create a new account for each device and simply include the account details when you sell the device. Whether someone would actually do that is probably somewhat questionable.
You can't do that as easily as you're making it out to be with iDevices.

Because it's ebay and finding products priced above retail happens all the time there since listing fees are next to nothing. Doesn't mean they have actually sold.

Instead of posting about it, why not go buy a few hundred iPads and make yourself some money?

Unless there's some aspect I'm missing, I'm fairly sure that's not the case. An Apple ID is technically transferable.

Unless there's some aspect I'm missing, I'm fairly sure that's not the case. An Apple ID is technically transferable.
Yeah, you're missing the aspect that Apple doesn't allow redownloading your music through iTunes. My friend was allowed to download her music after her MacBook hard drive was replaced and her iPod died, but that was a rare and one time thing.

You also can't sync to multiple iTunes libraries. And you can only authorize 5 computers per account.

You also can't make a ton of accounts so easily anymore since you need a credit card. You used to be able to create an account without one, but no longer.

So you can't do what youre suggesting as easily as you make it out to be. I never said it wasn't possible, but go ahead if you feel like arguing for no good reason, reality is in operation regardless.

Yeah, you're missing the aspect that Apple doesn't allow redownloading your music through iTunes.
You can, however, re-download applications, which is what was suggested. There is no limit to app re-downloads.

You also can't sync to multiple iTunes libraries
You can, however, transfer libraries. Each library has an ID, stored either in a plist or in the registry. Given this ID, and the associated Apple ID, you can transfer an account from one machine (and one user) to another. It's not an incredibly straightforward process — because Apple means for it not to be — but it's certainly possible.

You also can't make a ton of accounts so easily anymore since you need a credit card.
You don't need a credit card to create an Apple ID, and if the Apple ID being transferred from one user to another, there would be no specific requirement that a new ID be created.

I never said it wasn't possible, but go ahead if you feel like arguing for no good reason, reality is in operation regardless.
I see no particular reason to get angry over this.

Phide, you *do* need a credit card to create an Apple ID and purchase apps from the store. You used to be able to create Apple ID's without credit cards and have full access, but you can no longer access the iTunes store and purchase apps without a credit card on file. If your old account is active you can "buy" free apps without a credit card. My account is an old one without a credit card. My ex-girlfriend's account is a newer one so I had to add a credit card before she could purchase apps on my iPad...even the free ones.

I never said it was not possible to do what you're suggesting. I have no idea why you keep arguing for the possibility of something that it completely retarded. Either you have your own apple ID and you can't transfer someone else's content to your library or you start purchasing content under someone else's account that a random ebayer created.

If you want to add your credit card to an account some random person created and sold to you with the promise that it's all yours go right on ahead. No one's getting angry, but reasonable people know that only a complete idiot is going to do that.

So here's your pat on the back, sure dude, "technically" you're correct that it's possible, but "realistically' it's bullshit.

EDIT: Since this
is where I came into the discussion, why did you even bother debating my post if this
You can, however, re-download applications, which is what was suggested.

It's not an incredibly straightforward process — because Apple means for it not to be — but it's certainly possible.
is your opinion?

Why do you have to be such a pedant?

Last edited:
Again, I don't understand why you're getting so angry over this discussion. This certainly isn't something to get worked up over.

In any case, not only can you create an iTunes Store account without a credit card, but a credit card can be removed from an iTunes Store account (an iTunes Store-linked Apple ID), as well as other personal information, after the fact. An iPad owner might do so when intending to transfer the account to another owner, which requires that only an Apple ID, its password and the iTunes library ID be transferred to the new owner. The new owner would then create an iTunes library with that ID number, log in the the iTunes App Store with the provided Apple ID and have access to all the apps the original owner purchased for it (and re-download them at any time, for any reason).

If someone intends to sell an iPad loaded with "transferred" apps to increase its value, this would be justification to go through these steps in order to do so. The suggestion then that an iPad could be on sold "preloaded" with apps at a price much higher than the retail price is perfectly feasible.

In any case, it was suggested that perhaps these eBay iPads include an iTunes account with all the apps; stevil said it was very improbable because of the nature of iTunes accounts; I suggested that it was actually quite feasible but also questioned whether anyone would truly bother. We certainly don't disagree on that point.

I'm not angry about anything, but that's an interesting tactic to divert the discussion I suppose *shrug*

Yeah great, you googled that you can create an account without a credit card. However, I explained to you that if you want to actually purchase anything you *now* have to add a credit card. If you can't understand the distinction between creating an apple ID to activate an apple product and using that ID to purchase content, create an apple ID and try to purchase a free app. I had to deal with this issue in real life to set up my ex-girlfriend on my iPad because she couldn't remember her old account details.

I'll bold this because it's the last time I'm going to repeat myself:
Yes, you can transfer your account to someone else. It's not impossible and I never wrote that it was impossible. I wrote that it's not easy...

isn't this what you wrote?
"Create a new account for each device and simply..." << but it's not simple...isn't that what I wrote?

Your last two posts are detailing how non-simple it actually is.
Not only is it non-simple, but it's stupid to add your credit card to someone else's ID for what I hope are obvious reasons.

stevil was correct in pointing out that's improbable. I am correct in saying it's not easy to transfer accounts.

I don't understand what you think you are correct about other than the points you agree with us on that it's improbable and not simple to transfer an account (let alone a bunch of accounts, which was your first claim).

Not only is it non-simple, but it's stupid to add your credit card to someone else's ID for what I hope are obvious reasons.
stevil was correct in pointing out that's improbable. I am correct in saying it's not easy to transfer accounts.

Out of curiosity, could you used a prepaid card and when you sell the device just dont reload the card anymore? Good solution if you PLAN to sell it, though a hassle for just "well I might sell it eventually"

Yeah, I was probably oversimplifying the process in my original statement. It's not a simple matter of "transfer the Apple ID". I wasn't exactly expecting to get called out on that so I didn't bother to think through what the entire process would actually entail. To that point, you are correct. Whether this discussion needed to move into a direction of you trying to jab at my intelligence and calling me pedantic &#8212; that I disagree with. It isn't necessary; it isn't called for.

If you can't understand the distinction between creating an apple ID to activate an apple product and using that ID to purchase content, create an apple ID and try to purchase a free app.
I understand the distinction. It is not relevant to my point, however. Eventually the new owner will need to add a credit card to purchase apps. The previous owner also needs to do the same. Obviously that's the case (though an iTunes gift card could be used; works the same way). But to simply transfer an account from one owner to another &#8212; no. The existing credit card could be removed prior to the transfer. The new owner could input his own credit card information to purchase additional apps. Whether or not the previous owner could retrieve the account, potentially pulling it from under the new owner is beside the point. I imagine there are terms in the iTunes Store agreement that specifically forbid this kind of thing for just that reason.

Purchasing a free app, by the way, is precisely what Apple details in the support article I linked to, so I'm not certain I understand what point you're trying to make along those lines.

Out of curiosity, could you used a prepaid card and when you sell the device just dont reload the card anymore? Good solution if you PLAN to sell it, though a hassle for just "well I might sell it eventually"
Yeah, that's possible. You can also do the same with iTunes gift cards.

I was only questioning the intelligence of people willing to add their credit cards to someone else's account. If you thought I was insulting your intelligence I didn't mean to come off that way. I do think you arguing over my statement that changing accounts over isn't as easy as you make it out to be even though you apparently believe you over-simplified the process in your original post was pedantic. I don't know why you wouldn't have just said that in the first response (or not responded at all) unless you were trying to disprove stevil and my position...so no apologies there.

You can also do the same with iTunes gift cards.
This is no longer true. Here is a more current discussion (1st week of January 2011) than the apple support page (2nd week of November 2010): http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2709836&tstart=45

This is Apple specific discussion so I think it's important that the few apple users on the board correct erroneous information from members who are not primary apple users. If this was general discussion, I guess I wouldn't have bothered if that answers your question.

Maybe its jailbroken? Some people arent comfortable doing this,even tho its hella easy.

Back