why is 1600x1200 broken? (Samsung Syncmaster 955df)

AceTKK

Gawd
I'm running a Samsung Syncmaster 955df and a Radeon 9800pro. For some reason 16x12 is broken: I cannot view the whole image. The right side extends past the edge of the monitor to such an extreme that I have to guess at the menu options of most games, and the windows desktop is unusable. If I use Fraps to capture a screenshot the resulting image appears correct, which leads me to believe it's a problem with the monitor. No amount of adjustment to the monitor controls can fix it; the resize and re-position options only work on the visible area. Has anybody ever seen this before?

thx,

-Ace-

Yes I have, it sounds most likely that the upper resolutions are locked out. Assuming you have fairly new drivers installed, right-click on the desktop, choose 'Properties', then 'Settings', and click the 'Advanced' tab. Choose the ATI tab 'Displays', then click 'Monitor'. Turn on "Use DDC information", then try to switch to 1600 x 1200. If it doesn't recognize DDC, then underneath the DDC option is the drop menu "Maximum Resolution", raise it to 1600 x 1200, apply the changes and it should work. If that doesn't solve it, keep in mind that the 955DF has a max refresh of 68Hz at 1600 x 1200, and if you're running at 75 or 85, you'd have to bring it down to 60 most likely to get a good result, though I would usually think you'd be getting a blank screen if this was the cause. There's also desktop position settings to play around with in that menu under the 'Adjustments' tab if all else fails.

1600x1200@60Hz is sheer terror on a 19" monitor. You best run it at 1280x1024@85Hz if possible.

...but Samsung neglected to make it possible to do that- he will need to run it at 1024x768 to get a decent refresh rate, go Samsung CRT's!

Back