"Why I’m uninstalling Windows 8" Article

I agree with most of that. It's funny how once you think of Win 8 as a gigantic phone UI most of the decisions start to make sense. Phone users don't multitask, they don't close apps, they don't expect customization in their apps.

This is the future according to MS - dumbed down OS and apps. And if anyone complains, they're told 'you always have the Desktop which still runs legacy apps. You just hate any change'.

Whilst I'm not Windows 8's greatest fan, the guy comes across as a real big girls blouse.

Just ignore the Metro part, its not that hard for the most.

8 has great performance and I'll trade that against some bad decisions on MS's part.

Seems like a cry fest but I tend to agree with him on a lot of it.

Whilst I'm not Windows 8's greatest fan, the guy comes across as a real big girls blouse.

Just ignore the Metro part, its not that hard for the most.

8 has great performance and I'll trade that against some bad decisions on MS's part.

i personally have a issue with that, lets say 10 million windows 8 PCs sell, and 70% of those people hate metro. MS will spin this and say 10 million copies sold everyone loves metro.

i personally have a issue with that, lets say 10 million windows 8 PCs sell, and 70% of those people hate metro. MS will spin this and say 10 million copies sold everyone loves metro.
They'll say that anyways....

Ya know what, since amd was supposed to be Optimized for 8 with its new cpu's i wonder if they messed this up cause Intelz cant compete LULZ ;)

But how would Microsoft or anyone truly know that millions of people think? Sure you'll get a lot of vocal anonymous people on the Internet all saying Metro sucks or even that Metro is great but that's a very, very small number of users regardless. At this point Windows 8 just needs to launch and it'll go from there. If Windows 8 is the walking disaster that many think it will be and doesn't sell well then I think obviously Microsoft will need to rethink things and I imagine that they are prepared to adjust things at least to some extent. They truly are betting the company on this UI though, so I don't think they can walk away from it but they can certainly tweak things. We'll see how it goes.

Saw this so called review of Windows 8 last week and most of it seems to be focused on the included Microsoft apps. I agree that they are the greatest but then these still are not the final versions, those don't come out until Oct. 26th. And there's just stuff in here that make no sense:

The Metro interface is Windows 8. The desktop that you’re used to is also there, but it’s built as a separate app. Think of it this way: Metro is the shell. The desktop is an app within that shell. If you want to start Steam, you’ll want to launch the Desktop app, and then launch Steam.

This is insanity. This is Windows 8.

No, it's stupidity. If you're in the big ass full screen infinite shortcut links Start Screen, here's an idea, why not launch it from there? Look if you don't like Windows 8 then you don't like it and that's fair enough but so many of these negative reviews are full of stuff that's just plain incorrect or utterly bizarre. I have a hard time taking a guy seriously that doesn't seem to even understand the basic thing about Windows 8.

Why is complaining about the Desktop being a Metro app wrong? That is reality. It is completely insanely stupid that on a regular pc, you can drag the desktop down and close it, since its in fact nothing more than an app running in the true shell. Why would anyone ever want to close their desktop that way?!

This is as clear an indication as any that Win 8 is really just a tablet OS and the desktop can be completely thrown away and disabled.

As to how will they know what millions of people think, there's this little thing called telemetry which they use extensively. I can guarantee you if they put in a desktop shutdown option or regular start menu in Win 8, and then measure how many times people use the Metro version vs desktop, 99.9% people will use the one from the desktop (on a non touch pc).

But since they don't have this, they can now claim that 99% of people used the Metro versions (they have no choice!!!), thus proving its accepted and useful.

No, it's stupidity. If you're in the big ass full screen infinite shortcut links Start Screen, here's an idea, why not launch it from there? Look if you don't like Windows 8 then you don't like it and that's fair enough but so many of these negative reviews are full of stuff that's just plain incorrect or utterly bizarre. I have a hard time taking a guy seriously that doesn't seem to even understand the basic thing about Windows 8.

instead of insulting millions of people with this metro crap, they chould have left the normal windows 7 start menu in tact and let people have a choice.

Just loaded win 8 on one of my desktops. Took me a few moments to figure out what was going on with the desktop and metro but after that I had no issues using it. Don't see what the big fuss is about at all...

Why is complaining about the Desktop being a Metro app wrong? That is reality. It is completely insanely stupid that on a regular pc, you can drag the desktop down and close it, since its in fact nothing more than an app running in the true shell. Why would anyone ever want to close their desktop that way?!

My point is that there seems to be this notion that you have to do the desktop to launch something. That's just not correct. Sure I guess you could have a shortcut on the desktop but if you have programs running they'd be covering up the shortcuts even when you went to the desktop and then if the shortcut wasn't on the desktop or pinned to the task bar you'd be back in the Start Screen anyway?

If someone wants to complain about the desktop being a Metro app that's fine, I've got some issues with the concept myself. Again, it's this notion of having to go to the desktop to launch and app that just makes no sense.

This is as clear an indication as any that Win 8 is really just a tablet OS and the desktop can be completely thrown away and disabled.

So can all of the Metro apps and app switching can be disabled so that this behavior doesn't occur.

As to how will they know what millions of people think, there's this little thing called telemetry which they use extensively. I can guarantee you if they put in a desktop shutdown option or regular start menu in Win 8, and then measure how many times people use the Metro version vs desktop, 99.9% people will use the one from the desktop (on a non touch pc).

But since they don't have this, they can now claim that 99% of people used the Metro versions (they have no choice!!!), thus proving its accepted and useful.

You could very well be right but Microsoft used a lot of telemetry data in designing Windows 8, so they claim, and a number of people have been highly critical of that. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft will be paying a great deal of attention to the telemetry data coming from Windows 8.

Metro looks like complete and utter shit from everything I've read. If I wanted every app to be locked to full screen, why not just go back to DOS.

What they should do is make Metro an option... Or are they afraid everybody will turn it off and never use it?

This shouldn't be called Windows 8, it should be called Buttons 1.0.

Metro looks like complete and utter shit from everything I've read. If I wanted every app to be locked to full screen, why not just go back to DOS.

What they should do is make Metro an option... Or are they afraid everybody will turn it off and never use it?

thats excactly what they are afraid off, no one would use it on desktop or laptop.

there plan is to force millions of people to use it so maybe maybe some might like it and then buy their phones and tablets that sell like crap.

I stopped reading after the first sentence...

"I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that Windows 8 is the worst computing experience I’ve ever had."

Seriously? Worse than ME? At least Win8 fucking works without blue screening during install.

Writer comes off as a whiny bitch

edit: I'm not saying there aren't problems with Win8, but all I can picture while reading that is the scene from "God Bless America" where a 16 year old girl is bitching because she got a brand new Lexus instead of an Escalade

Last edited:
We should all hope that windows 8 falls on it's face. It's crazy how unproductive they think desktops are, or should be.

Another mindless "The Sky is Falling" article against product x, y, z, & ad infinitum. Windows 8 is now the new bash item & that won't change until people stop objectifying it as shit w/o doing absolute thorough testing (more than a damn day) or being the complete negative whiner who already hates it.

We should all hope that windows 8 falls on it's face. It's crazy how unproductive they think desktops are, or should be.

If Windows 8 does fail, then where does the Windows 8 PC go? One thing that Windows 8 opponents seemed to ignore is just how flat the PC market is right now and there's simply no indication that if Windows was the great desktop and keyboard and mouse only driven OS ever created that that would solve the problem because it looks like people are moving more and more to tablet devices.

At any rate, one thing that'll be nice to see is something besides and endless flood of crappy clamshell laptops. Retail PC hardware has become totally uninspired and mundane, there's nothing exciting in the space. At least now there's going to be totally new form factors and devices that no one has ever seen, that aren't at all Mac clones.

Another mindless "The Sky is Falling" article against product x, y, z, & ad infinitum. Windows 8 is now the new bash item & that won't change until people stop objectifying it as shit w/o doing absolute thorough testing (more than a damn day) or being the complete negative whiner who already hates it.

And again that's the thing. We've not really begun to see the new apps or hardware. And even with the slim pickings in the Windows Store there's a few nice apps out there that work and look great on a big desktop screen. A huge library clean and simple to install apps. And the good ones look so fresh and new compared to most apps out there today. The PC NEEDS this desperately to appeal to consumers. I know many of you look at that as somehow a bad thing, the lowest common denominator but tell me how more PCs are supposed to sell being complex only things? If complexity is what drove the PC and computing markets then Linux would have taken over the desktop and nobody would have bought iPads.

Wishing for Win 8 to fail is wishing for MS to fail. Like it or not, I can accept the fact that at least they try to innovate and actually invent something unlike Apple who have the same boring interface for a decade, have no original or invention except those they have acquired, and have a business model based on superficial hype, bogus patents and lawsuits.

I don't intend to turn this into a MS vs Apple debate (plenty of those) but in some respects MS is trying to replicate the iOS success by ignoring their traditional values of power, customization and an OS meant for all classes of users, and trying to compete in the tablet space by hedging the whole company's future on touch. And that is a bit sad to see.

I agree with heatlesssun that the pc does need some fresh appeal, but what MS has done is thrown the baby out with the bathwater, and what we have instead is a 2 headed Metro+Desktop monster :)

I don't intend to turn this into a MS vs Apple debate (plenty of those) but in some respects MS is trying to replicate the iOS success by ignoring their traditional values of power, customization and an OS meant for all classes of users, and trying to compete in the tablet space by hedging the whole company's future on touch. And that is a bit sad to see.

But another and perhaps the most important characteristic of Windows PCs is that they have traditionally supported all kinds of hardware and software. Window 8/RT whether one likes them or not most definitely continues this legacy. And it can be argued that it appeals to a broader class of users than ever because Windows 8/RT is now a viable tablet OS and the tablet market regardless of how one views Windows 8 is growing and the traditional PC market isn't.

Being a longtime Windows user on tablets there's nothing sad about it to me at all. It runs all of my desktop software and those apps still function as always but now Windows on a tablet functions MUCH better. This is why I don't buy the whole Windows 8 is dumbed down and less functional than Windows 7. In my case and what will be a growing number of Windows users we're going to have more functionally, mobility and flexibility than we've ever had on Windows.

Oh noes my start screen is a screen and making a program shortcut there to my Steam (which is also has it's own UI list of stuff to launch) so I can save ONE CLICK to open up a desktop program without opening desktop before hand....

#FirstWorldProblems

In other words, "Hi, let me tell you why I have been an Anti-Microsoft fanboy all my life and you should be too!" What a waste of time that was reading that article, if that is what you can call it.

Personally, sounds like someone with personal issues, not a person who knows what they are talking about. That is one person who will never be happy no matter what happens. :rolleyes:

I find I spend a lot of time configuring Metro to get out of my way.

For example, I'm going over some proposals that are in both Word and PDF. I click a Word doc and Word opens, I click another word doc and it opens, I compare them side by side, I click on another document to compare it to the other two, an oh, it's PDF, suddenly my entire desktop is taken over by a full screen Metro PDF reader, how the f*ck do I do side-by-side comparisons now? ARGH!!

Another example. I go to Open an .avi file expecting WMP to launch, nope instead it's a full screen XBOX video player, and the kicker? It says it can't play my movie and to check the Store. OK, so now I'm sent off to the Store, but what am I looking for? A codec pack? Another Video player? What? I search for "video player", "codec", "AVI", no useful results.

So in both cases I have to stop my workflow to install and/or reconfigure my default apps to use the desktop equivalents. Things like this pop up frequently, it's downright annoying when I'm trying to get stuff done on the desktop only to get unexpectedly hijacked by a Metro app in the middle of it.
And to make matters worse, the Metro version of anything is far worse and far less functional that the desktop versions it keeps hijacking.

I think it's been a good experience dealing with 8 over the past few months. I now know how to configure it for my customers to cause them the least annoyance so they don't find themselves bouncing back and forth.

Give it a couple of months and there will be scripts/apps/tutorials that will pretty much make metro largely disappear if you want it to.

Another example. I go to Open an .avi file expecting WMP to launch, nope instead it's a full screen XBOX video player, and the kicker? It says it can't play my movie and to check the Store. OK, so now I'm sent off to the Store, but what am I looking for? A codec pack? Another Video player? What? I search for "video player", "codec", "AVI", no useful results.

I have the same issue with 7, except replace 'Metro/XBOX Video player" with "WMP" which is a lousy player to begin with. Maybe that's a reason 8 doesn't jar me that I've been redoing default Windows programs for years now on a case per case basis. One Metro app I never replaced oddly was the RDP one

I have the same issue with 7, except replace 'Metro/XBOX Video player" with "WMP" which is a lousy player to begin with. Maybe that's a reason 8 doesn't jar me that I've been redoing default Windows programs for years now on a case per case basis. One Metro app I never replaced oddly was the RDP one

It's all the unexpected shifts into Metro that's most annoying. When doing actual work, you get so used to a certain rhythm going in the desktop (click, drag, open, close, etc..) that the sudden change to Metro is jarring and disruptive in that it requires you to suddenly fall out of that rhythm and shift to a completely different set of behaviors.

Yes, you can say it's a minor interruption, but after a while these little interruptions to your workflow start to add up a huge annoyance. And yes, once you have everything configured to bypass Metro things will settle down, but that's easy for me to do, it won't be easy for a regular user, who probably won't even now there are ways around it.

Sorry, I guess I'm just whining again.

But how would Microsoft or anyone truly know that millions of people think?
I know the answer! Microsoft's Customer Experience Improvement Program. That's how they decided customers didn't like the Start Menu. Apparently Microsoft thinks it's an accurate gauge of customer sentiment.

I've been using W8 since developer dropped and it's the dugz nutz..........windows 7 but faster with more options and installs in half the time.

I love being able to open my metro start screen on whichever monitor I'd like by simply going to the corner of that screen. I use three displays and pulling up metro on either my left/right vdu leaves my desktop unaffected on my main (centre) vdu.

How fuckin' cool is that?! :D

It's all the unexpected shifts into Metro that's most annoying. When doing actual work, you get so used to a certain rhythm going in the desktop (click, drag, open, close, etc..) that the sudden change to Metro is jarring and disruptive in that it requires you to suddenly fall out of that rhythm and shift to a completely different set of behaviors.

Yes, you can say it's a minor interruption, but after a while these little interruptions to your workflow start to add up a huge annoyance. And yes, once you have everything configured to bypass Metro things will settle down, but that's easy for me to do, it won't be easy for a regular user, who probably won't even now there are ways around it.

Sorry, I guess I'm just whining again.

But this is a temporary situation. Like all new versions of Windows we learn the usual tweaks and changes we make with every new install.

With Windows 8 we'll just have to add some new ones such as changing the metro apps to the desktop ones as default.

Either you've only read lies or you're exaggerating. You can still run all your applications on Windows 8 exactly as you have in the past.

Even Metro Apps aren't 100% restricted to full screen, you can dock apps on the side bar for side by side action as well.

I find I spend a lot of time configuring Metro to get out of my way.

For example, I'm going over some proposals that are in both Word and PDF. I click a Word doc and Word opens, I click another word doc and it opens, I compare them side by side, I click on another document to compare it to the other two, an oh, it's PDF, suddenly my entire desktop is taken over by a full screen Metro PDF reader, how the f*ck do I do side-by-side comparisons now? ARGH!!

So in both cases I have to stop my workflow to install and/or reconfigure my default apps to use the desktop equivalents. Things like this pop up frequently, it's downright annoying when I'm trying to get stuff done on the desktop only to get unexpectedly hijacked by a Metro app in the middle of it.
And to make matters worse, the Metro version of anything is far worse and far less functional that the desktop versions it keeps hijacking.

None of these are really problems with Metro, just with the default program settings. It takes less than 2 minutes to change them or to install whatever program you used in Windows 7. Then you'd never have those annoyances again.

No one is ever going to discover how to close or dock a Metro app because -

1. there is no chrome
2. there's no information that its even possible
3. the tutorial is awful and doesn't mention it

None of these are really problems with Metro, just with the default program settings. It takes less than 2 minutes to change them or to install whatever program you used in Windows 7. Then you'd never have those annoyances again.

Anytime you have to change defaults (which is not easy in Win 8 at all since it won't let a program configure defaults) its a problem. Why are the Metro versions of the apps the default when they are so poor?

Anytime you have to change defaults (which is not easy in Win 8 at all since it won't let a program configure defaults) its a problem. Why are the Metro versions of the apps the default when they are so poor?

Default programs in control panel, same as windows 7 ;)

If you open a file with a different program than the default opener (for example, a movie with WMP instead of the Metro player or a PDF with Adobe Reader and not the PDF Reader) a white box will pop up and ask to pick the default program or leave it alone.

Or right click in the lower left where the Start menu pops up and open Control Panel.

Or right click the file in File Explorer and in Properties change the default in there.

But you're missing a couple of points:

1) I don't know they are annoyances until they pop up out of nowhere. I've spent the past ten days getting interrupted by one thing after another that Metro took over, forcing me have to stop what I'm in the middle of doing and reconfigure. In the AVI example, it took a trip to the Windows store (as recommended by the XBOX video player), then ten minutes of searching for a solution that did not exist, then finally back to the desktop to configure WMP to play AVIs by default. So all told it was a 10-15 interruption in my workflow.

Another example was links in Word docs getting launched in Metro IE. Again, totally unexpected since I was in the damn DESKTOP. It took another 15-20 minutes of head-scratching and searching online to figure out how to make Desktop IE the default. Again, more wasted time.

2) Most regular users would have been stuck at the Windows Store with no idea what to do next. Not many people know how to configure default programs.

No one is ever going to discover how to close or dock a Metro app because -

1. there is no chrome
2. there's no information that its even possible
3. the tutorial is awful and doesn't mention it

I have no idea why people think that that thing that's in the RTM installer is the thing that most users are going to see. Windows 8 GA is still almost two months away and my guess is that these tutorials are going to tailored to the machine and OEM as well there being plenty of online guides and materials.

But you're missing a couple of points:

1) I don't know they are annoyances until they pop up out of nowhere. I've spent the past ten days getting interrupted by one thing after another that Metro took over, forcing me have to stop what I'm in the middle of doing and reconfigure. In the AVI example, it took a trip to the Windows store (as recommended by the XBOX video player), then ten minutes of searching for a solution that did not exist, then finally back to the desktop to configure WMP to play AVIs by default. So all told it was a 10-15 interruption in my workflow.

Another example was links in Word docs getting launched in Metro IE. Again, totally unexpected since I was in the damn DESKTOP. It took another 15-20 minutes of head-scratching and searching online to figure out how to make Desktop IE the default. Again, more wasted time.

2) Most regular users would have been stuck at the Windows Store with no idea what to do next. Not many people know how to configure default programs.

So your complaint then is poor documentation for the configuration.... I'm guessing better documentation/pciture guides will be up once the actual OS is released. Each of these "workflow interuptions" are only happening because you have not configured W8 to your liking, and only happens once. You make it sound like everything you do with the OS creates more work for you.

Back