"Why I’m uninstalling Windows 8" Article

OK, so after a couple weeks of fiddling, I have Windows 8 to the point where I very rarely need to go to the Start Screen. The only things I have on there are the Desktop, Weather app and a group for utilities, nothing else. I think I've finally reached an acceptable compromise with it now. I've also done a similar setup on my wife's PC, and she's not complaining about Windows 8 nearly as much anymore.

So my opinions is, once you get all the Metro crap out of the way, Windows 8 is actually a pleasure to use. Just wish I didn't have to do all that work to get there!
It really took you a couple of weeks to do that?

Huh.

Of course, since you hardly ever use the Start Screen, does it really matter whether or not you only have a few apps pinned to it or a bunch of apps pinned to it? I don't understand this mania to make the Start Screen empty. As long as you are using the tool, what's wrong with using it the way it was intended? Why not just pin the apps you use the most in one group and then put all the rest of the stuff off to one side? And if you don't know how to create groups in the Start Screen, don't spend another two weeks thrashing around with it. Post on the board and I'll be glad to help you out.

It really took you a couple of weeks to do that?

Huh.

Of course, since you hardly ever use the Start Screen, does it really matter whether or not you only have a few apps pinned to it or a bunch of apps pinned to it? I don't understand this mania to make the Start Screen empty. As long as you are using the tool, what's wrong with using it the way it was intended? Why not just pin the apps you use the most in one group and then put all the rest of the stuff off to one side? And if you don't know how to create groups in the Start Screen, don't spend another two weeks thrashing around with it. Post on the board and I'll be glad to help you out.

A lot of it involved figuring out what programs I used the most, then deciding how I wanted them organized on the desktop (shortcut, pin to task bar, add to favorites, etc..). It took a couple weeks of daily use for the final determinations to fall into place.

I also spent much of that time trying out Metro apps before determining that I don't like them in general, I find their functionality to be very limited, especially when compared to the desktop equivalents.

I simply don't like the way the Start Screen disrupts my normal workflow and muscle memory, which is why I don't like to use it.

But like I said, once I got it configured the way that best suits my desktop-centric workflow, it's really not too bad.

A lot of it involved figuring out what programs I used the most, then deciding how I wanted them organized on the desktop (shortcut, pin to task bar, add to favorites, etc..). It took a couple weeks of daily use for the final determinations to fall into place.

I also spent much of that time trying out Metro apps before determining that I don't like them in general, I find their functionality to be very limited, especially when compared to the desktop equivalents.

I simply don't like the way the Start Screen disrupts my normal workflow and muscle memory, which is why I don't like to use it.

But like I said, once I got it configured the way that best suits my desktop-centric workflow, it's really not too bad.
I agree that most of the "app previews" included with the release preview are less than thrilling. I'm hoping that changes once the final bits hit General Availability. If it doesn't, then all this fuss was for nothing. I suspect once release quality apps start appearing in the Windows Store then the utility of the Start Screen will increase dramatically.

Until then, at least you've proven to yourself that you've got some adaptability left in you!

Back