SpasticTeapot
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Sep 21, 2004
- Messages
- 188
Linux and Windows both have their good points. Linux is much more of a hassle to set up, while Windows will accumulate much more "crudware" over time, and has many more virii to deal with.
However, I can definitely say I'm switching to Linux.
Why?
Vista is not going to run very well on my 1ghz Pentium-M. Linux, however, should run on my x40 quite quickly, even with distros released three years from now. Windows XP works surprisingly well (I usually have it crashing constantly), but I doubt it's going to get much more support.
Furthermore, Linux can be made to run on old systems. I can make quite a bit of cash AND help the community by building and selling low-powered machines running DSL, which I'm learning how to use. 10$ in parts can be turned into a 50$ computer that will allow a family to use Gmail and browse the NY Times website, and let their kids do homework.
Will vista do that?
Who cares?
At 150$ a liscense, it's not worth it anyway.
However, I can definitely say I'm switching to Linux.
Why?
Vista is not going to run very well on my 1ghz Pentium-M. Linux, however, should run on my x40 quite quickly, even with distros released three years from now. Windows XP works surprisingly well (I usually have it crashing constantly), but I doubt it's going to get much more support.
Furthermore, Linux can be made to run on old systems. I can make quite a bit of cash AND help the community by building and selling low-powered machines running DSL, which I'm learning how to use. 10$ in parts can be turned into a 50$ computer that will allow a family to use Gmail and browse the NY Times website, and let their kids do homework.
Will vista do that?
Who cares?
At 150$ a liscense, it's not worth it anyway.